Post Whatever You Are Thinking At This Very Moment

That is fairly obvious from the lighthearted way you write about your novel and your ability to completely take the piss out of yourself. It takes a certain arrogance and humourlessness to give “advice” like the one above.
ah bless your heart <3

Don't know why you bothered to take the time to type something encouraging and supportive, with realizable, concrete, and with specifically actionable steps that would help someone who by their own repeated admission, hasn't gotten anywhere with anything at all in their life so far. You might as well be using your imaginary mace that you don't have yet, to dissuade the homeless people outside your 7-11 from harassing you for donuts in the middle of the night, for all the gratitude you'll get here for addressing someone's supposed passion of choice in a non piss taking way.

Also, just fyi: the more I look at the pic in your avatar thingy, which definitely makes me feel like my eyes need to puke, the more I feel like you chose the perfect image to fully complement and to perfectly metaphorically visually represent 90% of this site.

It's quite deep a concept actually, Cala! Who knew. What about this, for thesis? "A Philosophical Examination of the Unpeeling of M-Solo Onion Layers, by Way of Assessment through Jeremy Kyle's Worst Guests' Best Efforts and Most Superlative Gurning Practices, in vitro"

I think someone could take this and really run with it.

I think we're all Jeremy Kyle's worst guest ever sometimes. But this part of the site is very Kylesque, sometimes isn't it?

I think we're all Jeremy Kyle's worst guest ever sometimes. But this part of the site is very Kylesque, sometimes isn't it?
Sadly, yeah. :lbf:

The room deodorizer in here definitely smells like Eau du Shit Slinging on occasion, the carpet smells like dirty pub carpet with years of spilt warm beer + some pee in it, and half the time no one even appreciates it in here when someone has written something genuinely funny. On the plus side, if Jeremy Kyle got dropped in here by a helicopter and tried to sit on the side of our stage and start yelling at us, there's more than enough people here that would make him WERK for this moderation paycheck!

But Cala! Your avatar. That guy's FACE!!! :rofl::barf::lbf: :lbf: :lbf:

The room deodorizer in here definitely smells like Eau du Shit Slinging on occasion, the carpet smells like dirty pub carpet with years of spilt warm beer + some pee in it, and half the time no one even appreciates it in here when someone has written something genuinely funny. On the plus side, if Jeremy Kyle got dropped in here by a helicopter and tried to sit on the side of our stage and start yelling at us, there's more than enough people here that would make him WERK for this moderation paycheck!

well we cant all be claudia cardinale. *smirk* must be so hard for you, a sultry little sex kitten like you being surrounded by jeremy kyles. thank god we have your profile picture to serve as an accurate representation of you, otherwise i might have gotten the wrong impression and mistaken you for some crabby old boot or something.

That's me when I'm buying a banana and you want me to buy you a fancy jelly donut. lol Well, not you, you.

And yeah, when JK moves to sit on the stage that's when it switches from "so you're a single mum and the father is in prison" to "YOU'RE A HORRIBLE MOTHER AND A NASTY LITTLE LIAR!" I would actually love to be a guest. I'd practice my sprinting so I could get at Jeremy before the security could get to me.

That's me when I'm buying a banana and you want me to buy you a fancy jelly donut. lol Well, not you, you.

And yeah, when JK moves to sit on the stage that's when it switches from "so you're a single mum and the father is in prison" to "YOU'RE A HORRIBLE MOTHER AND A NASTY LITTLE LIAR!" I would actually love to be a guest. I'd practice my sprinting so I could get at Jeremy before the security could get to me.
SHUT UP!! :lbf: Sorry, but that was REALLY funny! As in, I just laughed so hard until my face actually hurt.

Your Jeremy Kyle written-impression is also pretty spot on. I'm very impressed. You been practicing long??

SHUT UP!! :lbf: Sorry, but that was REALLY funny! As in, I just laughed so hard until my face actually hurt.

Your Jeremy Kyle written-impression is also pretty spot on. I'm very impressed. You been practicing long??
I on'y discovered him last year and I binged pretty hard, so sort of, yes. I love how he switches from caring to accusatory, and always gets a distance between himself and the target beforehand.

No, I didn't say nobody steals from anybody on the Internet. You must be going to the 12" on the Slack school of logical inference.
What I said is that "an idea" is the least of it.
"How do you know the idea for Hamlet? How does anybody?" Now you're channeling Ketamine Sun. "How can we know?" :p
Well the idea for Hamlet SPOILER ALERT is that a king is murdered by his brother. The brother marries the queen. The son of the murdered king is told this information by the ghost of the king.
There may be elements of this at play in Game of Thrones. But you can't read or watch Hamlet and come up with Game of Thrones.

You said:
" There is a big difference between "an idea" and a novel. If someone actually decides to "steal" some nonsense about "character A" and make a novel out of it I would be really amazed. I think you could post the "idea" for anything with no fear at all. No writer that is actually going to take the time to steal an idea is going to wade through the nonsense Rifke posts looking for it. They will instead take an idea that is already successful and change it a little."

And you gave away the idea for Hamlet for free to use on the internet. (Solo, in this case). Very decent to supply it with a spoiler alert. By the way what you assume to be the idea was in the play so no difference there. Except that it wasn't the idea but the plot.
So you would be amazed when it happened.
I guess there are novels you consider to be nonsense but are appreciated and even successful.
This is alll semantics.

You didn't answer the question, channeling Ketamine Sun or following logic of 12inch is not important.
In stead you make up your own assumption.

How are we ever going to know the idea if it is so different from the novel, or the play in this case, if the writer is dead, unknown or at least doubtful.
Moz is still alive and could give more insights, how he got ideas, if he wanted to or was challenged by someone asking the right questions. The journo's have ruined that.

It all boyls down to the meaning everybody has of the word "idea".
I consider Rifle's prose as meaningful nonsense and funny.
I think you are missing the ironic undertones.
As 12 inch already mentioned.

You said:
" There is a big difference between "an idea" and a novel. If someone actually decides to "steal" some nonsense about "character A" and make a novel out of it I would be really amazed. I think you could post the "idea" for anything with no fear at all. No writer that is actually going to take the time to steal an idea is going to wade through the nonsense Rifke posts looking for it. They will instead take an idea that is already successful and change it a little."

And you gave away the idea for Hamlet for free to use on the internet. (Solo, in this case). Very decent to supply it with a spoiler alert. By the way what you assume to be the idea was in the play so no difference there. Except that it wasn't the idea but the plot.
I guess there are novels you consider to be nonsense but are appreciated and even successful.
This is alll semantics.

You didn't answer the question, channeling Ketamine Sun or following logic of 12inch is not important.

How are we ever going to know the idea if it is so different from the novel, or the play in this case, if the writer is dead, unknown or at least doubtful.
Moz is still alive and could give more insights, how he got ideas, if he wanted to or was challenged by someone asking the right questions. The journo's have ruined that.

Generally I do think that the "idea" is "the plot" but I guess you are suggesting that the idea is the meaning? Fair enough, but you still have to have something to steal before it can be stolen.
You say that I didn't answer the question so I went back and read your earlier post. I guess you mean "How can anybody know the idea for Hamlet?"
I don't understand the question really. I thought the idea was the plot. If it is the meaning, I still think that the meaning can be determined. Certainly themes can be determined and cases made for at least one meaning. Some of the value of art is that "the idea" is not fixed and that every member of the audience will experience it in their own way. Otherwise instead of writing a play or a novel the author could just write the meaning in a paragraph or two and it would have equal value.
But the meaning is not something that can be stolen. Remember, you were cautioning your friend that if they put too many ideas, or go too in depth on an idea that it may be stolen. A theme, a meaning, a message - none of these can really be stolen. A plot can be stolen. Maybe you weren't serious about your suggestion that someone would want to steal "an idea" from Rifke and if that's the case then I guess I missed out on the fact that you're roleplaying ironically. So I assume that you and she must realize that those things she's posting do not contain "ideas" and you were just killing time pretending.
Joke's on me. :thumb:

Generally I do think that the "idea" is "the plot" but I guess you are suggesting that the idea is the meaning? Fair enough, but you still have to have something to steal before it can be stolen.
You say that I didn't answer the question so I went back and read your earlier post. I guess you mean "How can anybody know the idea for Hamlet?"
I don't understand the question really. I thought the idea was the plot. If it is the meaning, I still think that the meaning can be determined. Certainly themes can be determined and cases made for at least one meaning. Some of the value of art is that "the idea" is not fixed and that every member of the audience will experience it in their own way. Otherwise instead of writing a play or a novel the author could just write the meaning in a paragraph or two and it would have equal value.
But the meaning is not something that can be stolen. Remember, you were cautioning your friend that if they put too many ideas, or go too in depth on an idea that it may be stolen. A theme, a meaning, a message - none of these can really be stolen. A plot can be stolen. Maybe you weren't serious about your suggestion that someone would want to steal "an idea" from Rifke and if that's the case then I guess I missed out on the fact that you're roleplaying ironically. So I assume that you and she must realize that those things she's posting do not contain "ideas" and you were just killing time pretending.

It is interesting to discuss the notion of idea, plot and how to work it all out in a novel or a play.
I referred to your statement that there is a difference between the idea and the way it is used to result in the outcome. So when I read the novel, or see the play I could try to figure out the underlying idea but as you said yourself they are very different it is difficult to determine, unless of course the writer explains.

Maybe some writers did but I assume there are many more considering that to be the secret of their individual craftsmanship and a vital ingredient to their success or critical acclaim.
Let's just say the artists capability.

So even if they seem to provide the ideas, the thoughts, this motivations behind the novel, they could be a tiny bit misleading to keep the enigma, the secret intact.
I can't blame them.

Suppose some writer really did all he can to "display" all and everything behind a novel, due to public demand.
I'd think it could be revealing but maybe also a bit boring. A work of art that needs so much explanation is going to fall without that explanation.
And you can do that only once cause the well of your inspiration, the resources you tap from will be absorbed, digested and a new book becomes increasingly more difficult to write.
I think a writer, songwriter, doesn't reveal all. At least not too much.

I can imagine a writer at the end of his life revealing his ideas, his thoughts and also wanting to explain and justify his books. But before that only giving away snippets of information as to keep the "magic" intact. To keep his audience a bit hungry for more.
It would be like all those magicians telling the public the secret of their stunning and unbelievable tricks.
They would damage their own market. :thumb:

Of course, that what could be stolen from the internet is a plot, and the outcome of an idea.
Not the idea it self. And you are right it is seldomly a success cause it is not really stealing but borrowing.
I am from the school "talent borrows, genius steals".But with the addition the genius uses it and recycles it and makes it his own. And it becomes new and original. And the talent borrows and has to pay interest for something that can be seen as not his own. As his goal is the success, not the artistic motive, or the drive for expression.

The genius steals out of inspiration, admiration and is the true artist.
By the way, now in these interweb days, can you possibly think of anything completely authentic and individually owned? Art and artistic drive have always been building and recycling already existing ideas.
There is a continuing flow.

Oh yeah, about Rifke, you say nonsense.
I say interesting and funny nonsense. :p
I consider that to be the whole idea behind her aspirations to write.

Last edited:
There was a time when I changed the oil and filters and other things myself on my car. Nowadays people say you can't work on a modern car yourself but it turns out Youtube is your friend.

I have decided to change the oil and other things myself on my car cause you simply cannot trust the mechanics anymore, something I learned from my own experience.

Maybe we have become so lazy that we blame technology on not being able to do it anymore knowing full well we still can if we want to.

Buying oil from the mechanic is double the price compared to online and it is still the same oil in the same plastic bottles. I also learned that oil does not come from fossils.

lol the idea and the plot are not one and the same. the plot of hamlet is exactly what you stated (ie. a king is murdered by his brother. The brother marries the queen. The son of the murdered king is told this information by the ghost of the king.). the idea of hamlet is hamlets unalterable (almost pathological) sense of justice. this is what carries the plot, creating the trajectory of the story which ends in everyone being dead. without the "idea" the plot is just a bunch of clunky furniture with nothing to move it along: the plot merely furnishes the idea, is fashioned around the idea, while the idea acts as the archimedean point.

You said:

This is alll semantics.

just because i make being an intellectual look easy doesnt mean everything i say is nonsense, yo

It is interesting to discuss the notion of idea, plot and how to work it all out in a novel or a play.
I referred to your statement that there is a difference between the idea and the way it is used to result in the outcome. So when I read the novel, or see the play I could try to figure out the underlying idea but as you said yourself they are very different it is difficult to determine, unless of course the writer explains.

Maybe some writers did but I assume there are many more considering that to be the secret of their individual craftsmanship and a vital ingredient to their success or critical acclaim.
Let's just say the artists capability.

So even if they seem to provide the ideas, the thoughts, this motivations behind the novel, they could be a tiny bit misleading to keep the enigma, the secret intact.
I can't blame them.

Suppose some writer really did all he can to "display" all and everything behind a novel, due to public demand.
I'd think it could be revealing but maybe also a bit boring. A work of art that needs so much explanation is going to fall without that explanation.
And you can do that only once cause the well of your inspiration, the resources you tap from will be absorbed, digested and a new book becomes increasingly more difficult to write.
I think a writer, songwriter, doesn't reveal all. At least not too much.

I can imagine a writer at the end of his life revealing his ideas, his thoughts and also wanting to explain and justify his books. But before that only giving away snippets of information as to keep the "magic" intact. To keep his audience a bit hungry for more.
It would be like all those magicians telling the public the secret of their stunning and unbelievable tricks.
They would damage their own market. :thumb:

Of course, that what could be stolen from the internet is a plot, and the outcome of an idea.
Not the idea it self. And you are right it is seldomly a success cause it is not really stealing but borrowing.
I am from the school "talent borrows, genius steals".But with the addition the genius uses it and recycles it and makes it his own. And it becomes new and original. And the talent borrows and has to pay interest for something that can be seen as not his own. As his goal is the success, not the artistic motive, or the drive for expression.

The genius steals out of inspiration, admiration and is the true artist.
By the way, now in these interweb days, can you possibly think of anything completely authentic and individually owned? Art and artistic drive have always been building and recycling already existing ideas.
There is a continuing flow.

Oh yeah, about Rifke, you say nonsense.
I say interesting and funny nonsense. :p
I consider that to be the whole idea behind her aspirations to write.

Are we back to pretending she has "aspirations to write?" I thought you were being "ironic?" She pretends to be a writer and you pretend to take her seriously, right? I thought we cleared this up. It was all a joke, etc, right?
So when you said people could steal her ideas you were joking, right?

lol the idea and the plot are not one and the same. the plot of hamlet is exactly what you stated (ie. a king is murdered by his brother. The brother marries the queen. The son of the murdered king is told this information by the ghost of the king.). the idea of hamlet is hamlets unalterable (almost pathological) sense of justice. this is what carries the plot, creating the trajectory of the story which ends in everyone being dead. without the "idea" the plot is just a bunch of clunky furniture with nothing to move it along: the plot merely furnishes the idea, is fashioned around the idea, while the idea acts as the archimedean point.

I think you're referring to what you perceive as a theme. If you wish to think of it as "the idea" that's okay, too. I used the word idea because your friend was joking about someone stealing your ideas. "Idea" is not really a technical term but if someone has "an idea for a play" I wouldn't expect them to say it's "an unalterable sense of justice." Again, that's fine. Like I said, I failed to realize you were joking about wanting to be a writer.

Are we back to pretending she has "aspirations to write?" I thought you were being "ironic?" She pretends to be a writer and you pretend to take her seriously, right? I thought we cleared this up. It was all a joke, etc, right?
So when you said people could steal her ideas you were joking, right?

I think you're referring to what you perceive as a theme. If you wish to think of it as "the idea" that's okay, too. I used the word idea because your friend was joking about someone stealing your ideas. "Idea" is not really a technical term but if someone has "an idea for a play" I wouldn't expect them to say it's "an unalterable sense of justice." Again, that's fine. Like I said, I failed to realize you were joking about wanting to be a writer.
my english professor used to call me a future nobel prize winning writer, and all my teachers told me they would always remember me for my writing. did yours? *smirk*

no, the theme would be "what comes of an unalterable sense of justice". i think all the people dead at the end would be the clue to that, but i've never been good at taking away lessons from stories.

i understand. you're a little confused.

my english professor used to call me a future nobel prize winning writer, and all my teachers told me they would always remember me for my writing. did yours? *smirk*

no, the theme would be "what comes of an unalterable sense of justice". i think all the people dead at the end would be the clue to that, but i've never been good at taking away lessons from stories.

i understand. you're a little confused.

"Used to call me a future nobel prize winning writer"
:thumb:

"Used to call me a future nobel prize winning writer"
i only say that to illustrate how absolutely ludicrous it is for someone like you to come online and try to tell someone--who they only know online--what their abilities are. not only is it ludicrous, and do you have no business doing any such thing, but it shows--as ive said time and again in relation to you--a very ugly nature. but thankfully, having received enough praise in my lifetime to know differently, im impervious to what you have to say.

Tags
* no social life frink advice artie lange awesome bitching blush bored brooms candies chat cheese with your whine? college is tough companionship complaining epiphany episiotomy friendships funny happy i think u stink just lust moaning never to be replaced rabid monkey sad suck my teeth sweet caroline wowzers
Back
Top Bottom