Post Whatever You Are Thinking At This Very Moment

Those are the potatoes I miss.
You can make your own, LH. I'm doing some today, funnily enough. Chop them up nice and chunky, boil in salted water just for 5 mins, then throw them in a roasting pan in the oven tossed in oil for about 30 mins - turn them a couple of times to get them nice and brown all over.

You can make your own, LH. I'm doing some today, funnily enough. Chop them up nice and chunky, boil in salted water just for 5 mins, then throw them in a roasting pan in the oven tossed in oil for about 30 mins - turn them a couple of times to get them nice and brown all over.
I'm on a raw diet now. I miss those fries but I don't really want them. These days, my kicks are from a veggie dip I make, using Braggs soy sauce in avocado with onion powder and garlic powder.

I was lucky I got to go travelling right before all this started. the timing was impeccable. I would've been really miffed if I had planned it all out and then had to cancel like so many other people have had to do with their vacations (although I never considered it a "vacation" and am always annoyed when people use that term to describe my time away. It was supposed to be a new life but now I see it wouldn't have worked out, even if I had managed to get a job and a place to live over there). theres a girl at work who was saying how she wants to go travelling and now she wont get to for a long time, and im just like "oh dear....hmmm.... I was just in Greece....". this girl is really tacky and gauche though, the type that will exclaim to a stranger "I like your accent! where are you from?!" after hearing them say two words, not sophisticated like me, so she really has no business in any other country anyway.

Well, we're British so naturally no-one would actually want to mention it. But you might have got some slightly odd looks as a clue.
I've pondered this a little at various times.

What we in the UK call 'pants', were, back in the day, more formally known as underpants, which might suggest, if you take a literal view, an item of clothing to be worn beneath, or under, pants, which might lead anyone to believe that the outer garment, were indeed 'pants'.

Maybe this is where non-UK people (US/Canada in particular) mistakenly derive the use of the word pants from as being that outer garment?

But that doesn't make any sense whatsoever, because it then leaves the underpants with no real identity or nomenclature, apart from the word 'under', which makes no sense at all.

Conversely, & maybe more accurately, it's just the name given to the item of underwear, and they're called underpants, which, over time, and with the English evolution of language, are now simply referred to by their shortened name, 'pants'.

What we in the UK call 'pants', were, back in the day, more formally known as underpants, which might suggest, if you take a literal view, an item of clothing to be worn beneath, or under, pants, which might lead anyone to believe that the outer garment, were indeed 'pants'.

Maybe this is where non-UK people (US/Canada in particular) mistakenly derive the use of the word pants from as being that outer garment?

But that doesn't make any sense whatsoever, because it then leaves the underpants with no real identity or nomenclature, apart from the word 'under', which makes no sense at all.

Conversely, & maybe more accurately, it's just the name given to the item of underwear, and they're called underpants, which, over time, and with the English evolution of language, are now simply referred to by their shortened name, 'pants'.
its like this: all items of clothing with two holes for the legs are pants. some you wear under (underpants), some you wear over the under pants (pants), and some you wear shortened (shorts). you guys really need to start calling them underpants again so as to avoid any potential embarrassment for nice candian girls in the case that they should happen to innocently mention something about their pants.

its like this: all items of clothing with two holes for the legs are pants. some you wear under (underpants), some you wear over the under pants (pants), and some you wear shortened (shorts). you guys really need to start calling them underpants again so as to avoid any potential embarrassment for nice candian girls in the case that they should happen to innocently mention something about their pants.
Lol, 'candian'

Well, according to the etymology (yes, I like this stuff almost as much as grammar and punctuation), it's short for pantaloons, but it's unclear why the name for the outer garment fell out of fashion here in the UK. So technically I suppose it could be said that the US/Canada are correct. Even if it pains my sensitive 21st century British ears.

Well, according to the etymology (yes, I like this stuff almost as much as grammar and punctuation), it's short for pantaloons, but it's unclear why the name for the outer garment fell out of fashion here in the UK. So technically I suppose it could be said that the US/Canada are correct. Even if it pains my sensitive 21st century British ears.
ha! take that Britain!!

It's from pantaloons - breeches.

When breeches got longer we started using trews & then trousers.

Previously underpants didn't really exist - so once they did, we called them under pantaloons & then pants.

Costume designers are obsessed with this stuff. Pop in for a wee quote or a photo & you could be there for DAYS.

I was lucky I got to go travelling right before all this started. the timing was impeccable. I would've been really miffed if I had planned it all out and then had to cancel like so many other people have had to do with their vacations (although I never considered it a "vacation" and am always annoyed when people use that term to describe my time away. It was supposed to be a new life but now I see it wouldn't have worked out, even if I had managed to get a job and a place to live over there). theres a girl at work who was saying how she wants to go travelling and now she wont get to for a long time, and im just like "oh dear....hmmm.... I was just in Greece....". this girl is really tacky and gauche though, the type that will exclaim to a stranger "I like your accent! where are you from?!" after hearing them say two words, not sophisticated like me, so she really has no business in any other country anyway.

I am so glad you got to travel when you did, too. And that you went to Greece and didn't waste time in Romania. <3 <3 <3

I am so glad you got to travel when you did, too. And that you went to Greece and didn't waste time in Romania. <3 <3 <3
im so glad too! god, Bucharest in winter. can you imagine how depressing that would've been?

it's funny now how beguiled I was by the little village on naxos that i walked to, where everything was shut down waiting for summer and nothing stirring but me and the usual stray cats. little did I know that a month later I would be back in Canada and our downtown would be exactly the same, like the morning after the apocalypse.

one day!! and I will look for my little orange kitty that followed me through the streets of the old market too. I hope that little kitty's okay. such a nice kitty like that deserves to have a nice home :(

Orange kitties are the devil's henchmen.

Not the ones from Naxos, though. They are sweet.

I've just been waylaid by the guy from Nags Head. He was wearing an Arnold Schwarzeneeger Predator mask to shield from Covid, while riding his bike. I didn't recognise him til he took it off. Do you think I should invest in one? No.
With effect from 15th of June, anyone in UK using public transport must wear a mask: Compulsory.
Face mask

Tags
* no social life frink advice artie lange awesome bitching blush bored brooms candies chat cheese with your whine? college is tough companionship complaining epiphany episiotomy friendships funny happy i think u stink just lust moaning never to be replaced rabid monkey sad suck my teeth sweet caroline wowzers
Back
Top Bottom