post 'Official' reviews of Swords

Re: huh

Where do you find so-called alternative versions?

In Sweetie Pie's case, Mikey kindly brought to the radio station which rarely happened.
Most of the demos / alternative takes are tightly guarded by Morrissey and his associates.

I feel it needs to be restated that Mikey's alternate version is in no way "official." He clearly stated on Jose's show that the vocal was the only element from the original recording. The music was recorded by Mikey and some of his musician friends AFTER the fact. Hence, it's not truly an "official" Morrissey alternate track. There seems to be a sense that this is a releasable track when Morrissey may never have even heard it before. His vocal is the only thing that distinguishes this from any number of Alain or Boz's instrumental demos that have leaked in the past. They - and Mikey's "Sweetie Pie" - certainly have intrinsic value to fans - but they are not intended for release.

Thank you very much Jamie for posting clarification of official versions.

Some of us don't know much about those terms, good to see people who have good knowledge adding more info.

I feel it needs to be restated that Mikey's alternate version is in no way "official." He clearly stated on Jose's show that the vocal was the only element from the original recording. The music was recorded by Mikey and some of his musician friends AFTER the fact. Hence, it's not truly an "official" Morrissey alternate track. There seems to be a sense that this is a releasable track when Morrissey may never have even heard it before. His vocal is the only thing that distinguishes this from any number of Alain or Boz's instrumental demos that have leaked in the past. They - and Mikey's "Sweetie Pie" - certainly have intrinsic value to fans - but they are not intended for release.

I didn't know that this Sweet-pie was recorded after the fact. I did guess it was a demo or any thing else. It's really good to know.

I have a feeling that the vocal track on Mikey's version is different from the released version. Not for the most obvious reason that there are no effects on the vocal, but because if you listen, some of the phrasing is a bit different than it is in the released version -- specifically the "ohh-ho"'s. Mikey might have taken a scrapped vocal take instead of the released vocal take. Either way, it still sounds brilliant :thumb:

I'm definitely getting it. My pc is broken, the replacement hasn't arrived yet & the original cds are all over the place.

It's not a shameless cash in, it's just convenient!
i totally agree with that last part, i mean, sometimes its nice to have a new store bought comp cd just in case all else fails and one must go back to disk :guitar:

Re: 'Official' reviews of Swords on BBC site

So they deem "Sweetie-Pie" as a stand-out track but make no mention of "The Never-Played Symphonies" or "My Dearest Love"? Plenty of credibility in that one.

So because they like a track you feel is weak and make no mention of a couple of tracks you think are strong that instantly means their review lacks credibility?! How incredibly arrogant.

Re: 'Official' reviews of Swords on BBC site

So because they like a track you feel is weak and make no mention of a couple of tracks you think are strong that instantly means their review lacks credibility?! How incredibly arrogant.

Well it's Morrissey-Solo forums :rolleyes:

Well said.

*whispers* Mikey's version is still better

*scarpers away while holding cap onto his head!

'Attitude' magazine (UK gay publication) review in new issue. Martin Aston, I think, gives it 3/5. Says Moz has a habit of putting some of his best songs on b-sides, as well as a habit for penning straight-male fantasies such as 'Good Looking Man About Town' and 'Teenage Dad on His Estate'.

By the way, putting the CD in the rack, it's even clearer that this release is called "Morrissey's Words".

Peter

Re: Morrissey's words

Question: The 2 disc version comes in a package like YOR ?? or like YATQ in a normal double cd case??
And the 1 disc, is like the new Maladjusted?

Thanks!!

PD: Please, sorry for my english...

Last edited:
Tags
reviews swords
Back
Top Bottom