Post Millennial: "Morrissey: How did the ultimate anti-establishment artist make it against all odds?" by Fiona Dodwell (October 17, 2020)

"We have become acclimatized to safe public figures who brand themselves as a commodity like a soft drink, palatable at first but devoid of any substantial nourishment."

FWD.

UPDATE Oct. 18:

Posted by Nerak:

It's now linked on Central.

With a Linder photo.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny though.

He played Hong Kong in 2016, there may have been some Chinese people in attendance. They do have the internet there, so we could only assume that they understood quite well what Morrissey said in that interview and why he said it.

Whatever.

Let the haters hate, let the lovers love.

:cool:

I didn't know he'd made it to Hong Kong!

They are Chinese.

But also they want to be Hong Kong - doing their own thing.

I like Unions - but it has to be democratic, it has to care about all of its territories & it has to build, not impose its identity.

Or else -

So imagine caring about one rude comment...

Yeah, those silly, silly Chinese. They should just give Moz a pass for one rude comment — you know, the one where he called them less than human.

That’s not the kind of thing you easily forgive and forget, Nerak. And it’s not just “one” rude comment — it’s a pattern of incendiary comments & lyrics, and support for a fascist political party. Plus, he just seems like such a self-righteous dick. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Funny though.

He played Hong Kong in 2016, there may have been some Chinese people in attendance. They do have the internet there, so we could only assume that they understood quite well what Morrissey said in that interview and why he said it.

Whatever.

Let the haters hate, let the lovers love.

:cool:

Or they engage in the sort of logic you do in which case anything he says only means what they want it to until further notice. :thumb:

Or they engage in the sort of logic you do in which case anything he says only means what they want it to until further notice. :thumb:

Yes his Chinese fans and I engage in the same sort of logic.

Nerak Trump post: 1987329990 said:
Not this.

You're the least astute trolls on this site.

Psycho babbles makes you sound too coherent.

You’re the most cringe-inducing, embarrassing, shameless, and brainwashed apologist on this site. Your interpretations of “what Morrissey is really saying” are laughable in their head-in-the-sand ignorance and blindness. Saddest of all, it’s willful ignorance masquerading as a superior intellect. Although I’m not sure of your age. Perhaps you still have a lot of growing up to do. I’m guessing you’re about 12? 14?

They're not getting their information from Western blogs - & they might have actually listened to This Is Not Your Country.

yes.

But do people in China not have access to the Guardian interview?

Not really - someone might have translated it somewhere. But not readily available.

Sorry I find it difficult to believe that Morrissey fans in China won’t have access to even Morrissey solo or from fans from other countries sharing information, etc.

They read the interview, understood what he said, went to the show, and most likely (heaven forbid!) enjoyed themselves.

This Is Not Your Country is a little like Disraeli's Problem by Spirogyra - a 70s prog-rock-folk band. For anyone actually interested in music. Or history. Or politics.

Sorry I find it difficult to believe that Morrissey fans in China won’t have access to even Morrissey solo or from fans from other countries sharing information, etc.

They read the interview, understood what he said, went to the show, and most likely (heaven forbid!) enjoyed themselves.

Ach - I doubt they'd hold it against him anyway. These media storms are much bigger in the UK & the USA than elsewhere.

You didn't listen to the audio well enough - the press does continually take a phrase & spin it to get controversy.

Taking jokes literally, making throwaway comments emphatic statements, saying that he has outbursts when he's engaged in a quiet conversation, leaving out their leading questions & comments, changing the meaning, making connections that aren't there, adding assumptions...

He whinges sometimes - but he's harder on himself.

He still has empathy.

A lot more than his detractors seem to have.
I have tried to talk to Evangelicals. It is the same with them. Thanks for the conversation anyway. Self-Pity has nothing to do with being hard on yourself. I am an expert. Otherwise I would not have become a Smiths-Fan.

I have tried to talk to Evangelicals. It is the same with them. Thanks for the conversation anyway. Self-Pity has nothing to do with being hard on yourself. I am an expert. Otherwise I would not have become a Smiths-Fan.

I researched his publicity before rushing to judgement.

I didn't know he'd made it to Hong Kong!

They are Chinese.

But also they want to be Hong Kong - doing their own thing.

I like Unions - but it has to be democratic, it has to care about all of its territories & it has to build, not impose its identity.

That's a little ironic, considering Hong Kong was stolen from China by the British Empire as part of the spoils of victory in the Opium War - a war China fought and lost because it objected to Britain flooding China with opium.

That's a little ironic, considering Hong Kong was stolen from China by the British Empire as part of the spoils of victory in the Opium War - a war China fought and lost because it objected to Britain flooding China with opium.

Yeah, sometimes damage can't be undone. At least not yet. It's two Chinas, one bad system at the moment.

I researched his publicity before rushing to judgement.
Well, that`s what we "old fans" have done for years! If we had "rushed" we would have done so very early on! We could have started after the Glastonbury gig, but "we" did not. Remember?

Fair enough, that sounds like a fair reflection of what Morrissey has said, and I've no issue with that.

Don't see this as being an adequate definition of national identity. That's individualism, not corporatism. If Morrissey was really pushed to it, I doubt he could come up with a convincing definition of 'Britishness' that wouldn't exclude a significant percentage of the population - that's the problem with nationalism, it's a vacuous concept.

Would it exclude people? Oh no. Can't have that.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom