Post Millennial: "Morrissey: How did the ultimate anti-establishment artist make it against all odds?" by Fiona Dodwell (October 17, 2020)

"We have become acclimatized to safe public figures who brand themselves as a commodity like a soft drink, palatable at first but devoid of any substantial nourishment."

FWD.

UPDATE Oct. 18:

Posted by Nerak:

It's now linked on Central.

With a Linder photo.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
"Everyone prefers their own race." This is one of those statements that is often cited by the cancellers as evidence of Moz's "racism". But if we're being honest, it is simply a statement of fact. Every human being on this earth, has an innate preference for people who are like them. We all have biases whether we are willing to acknowledge them or not. Morrissey said nothing as to whether he believes it should be this way, or whether he believes that 'preference' overrides all other considerations. Taken in context, this was really just about the most banal statement one could make and should not have caused offense. Yet the press continue to unfairly cite this statement as a reason why Morrissey cannot have more evolved views on race. He can obviously work with Black artists (ie Thelma Houston), so very clearly the existence of that innate preference is not an issue that defines who Morrissey is.

Racist defends racism shocker

His press in the 80s was just as horrendous.

View attachment 60134
Total and utter bollocks. You clearly weren't following him or perhaps even alive back in the 80s. He was the absolute darling of music journalism, crowned the world's best interview. A month rarely went by without him on the cover of nme, melody maker, sounds etc, and the wider alternative world loved him too ie Peel, the Guardian etc. Yes, the right wing media didn't like him but who cares. Unfortunately, in repeatedly campaigning for far right politics, the alternative/indie world that used to worship him, as turned on him, and rightly so. As have most of his pre 2019 fans. A total retraction of support for the far right is his only way back.

Thing is, you know f*** all about me. You can dismiss me as a racist if you want. But that also means that you've got to dismiss the bulk of humanity as well. Interestingly, at the anti-racist workshop offered by my employer as a response to the BLM crises unfolding this summer, a similar statement acknowledging that we are all human beings that have biases, and that it is part of our nature to form them was provided by the instructor, and taken as gospel by the participants. Does that make her, and the rest of my colleagues racist too?

Ingroup bias is well documented & backed by every major study.

That's all Morrissey meant & he went on to say not everything is or should be about race.

Tweeters twist things for likes & RTs & then people respond to those tweets & it turns into a sh*tstorm.

20201018_200202.jpg

Every human being on this earth, has an innate preference for people who are like them.

That's probably true in the sense that we all form relationships on the basis of being in some sense on the same wavelength, even if it's with someone who is superficially different.

It's not the same as saying "everyone prefers their own race" though. This is a racist statement because it stems from the a priori belief that humanity is made up of different races. Which it isn't. 'Black' is not a race, nor is 'Asian' in any real genetic sense. Nor is 'white'. 'Black' for that matter isn't even a meaningful collective term - it's simply English for 'negro' but at some point in the past it became an acceptable political term, whilst negro became unacceptable.

Well, simpletons like uncle skinny and lazy journalists would like to drag the whole world into a corner of racism and underlying racist tendencies, but simple attributes as those only exist to fulfill their need of making their world separated to those two groups: for or against.
If anyone of them had listened to the last few Morrissey albums they would probably see that the answer isn't as obvious as they think it is.
Where exactly is the freedom in people speaking their minds and getting axed for it into cancellation of their whole body of work?
By proclaiming 'Bring me the head of Elton John on a plate' in the nineties i suppose he was also fiercely anti-gay. Or maybe the MI5 or 6 or whatever were right in investigating him after 'Margaret on the Guillotine'?
Anyway, i don't think some people have any idea of how freedom of expression works, and thus I can only say: 'How can you consciously contemplate, where there's no debate, no debate, no debate?'

Is it possible to attack a transgender person without it being a hate crime

Step One: Have the musical genius Johnny Marr write the songs.

The irony of Johnny's career being that, even though he is a musical genius, he demonstrably can't write songs - as evidence by his solo stuff. Johnny didn't write the songs of The Smiths. Nobody 'wrote' them. Johnny recorded a backing track, generally mailed it to Morrissey, who then coined a vocal melody using some of his pre-written (or perhaps sometimes made up on the spot) lyrics. Once the backing track had a vocal melody and lyrics, it became a song. At a push therefore you say that Marr co-created the songs. But strip away the backing music from the end product, to leave nothing but the vocal melody, and you'd still effectively have the song. So in my book, Morrissey effectively created the songs by creating the lyrics/vocal melody. Marr created the music (along with Rourke).

skinny is the person who for years used to tell foreigners on here SPEAK ENGLISH,this was people where english wasnt their first language and couldnt get across what they were trying to say.

Last edited:
skinny is the person who for years used to tell foreigners on here SPEAK ENGLISH,this was people where english wasnt there first language and couldnt get across what they were trying to say.
A predicament with which I imagine you have great sympathy.

Well, The Smiths didn't have the time to be even more successful because the broke up. Otherwise, they would have been huge, probably more than Morrissey's solo career. Morrissey is were he is thanks to his start with The Smiths. Let's don't forget, Johnny was the one starting the band. Johnny Marr was as important as Morrissey, the sound complemented the lyrics and vice versa. Morrissey has done very well alone in his own rights, but more successful than The Smiths because he had more time to do so.

No. I don’t believe longevity of a band always leads to a more successful career.

Morrissey is were he is thanks to his start with The Smiths.”

No.

Then why didn’t the other Smiths also benefit ? Don’t you think the others in the Smiths were just as talented as Morrissey?

yet strangely they went nowhere.

Morrissey would have eventually made his mark with or without Marr.

Fate whispers to the Warrior, “You cannot withstand the storm”
The Warrior whispers back, “I am the Storm”.

Morrissey is one of the most unique artists of our time, for he has never tried (or needed) to create a storm around his career. He, quite simply, is the storm, and his fans adore him for it.

Total and utter bollocks. You clearly weren't following him or perhaps even alive back in the 80s. He was the absolute darling of music journalism, crowned the world's best interview. A month rarely went by without him on the cover of nme, melody maker, sounds etc, and the wider alternative world loved him too ie Peel, the Guardian etc. Yes, the right wing media didn't like him but who cares. Unfortunately, in repeatedly campaigning for far right politics, the alternative/indie world that used to worship him, as turned on him, and rightly so. As have most of his pre 2019 fans. A total retraction of support for the far right is his only way back.

The worst allegations start in the 80s - in the music press.

He hasn't repeatedly campaigned.

And it's not 'rightly so' - it's a travesty.

Step 4 - declare that you prefer your own race, wholeheartedly endorse a pro-military, protect the rich, far-right political party, and consequently lose 70% of your record-buying fanbase and 50% of your live audience within just 18 short months. Genius!
Hahaha, goes to show you don't understand him at al. Just change back to simply red or something.

No. I don’t believe longevity of a band always leads to a more successful career.

Morrissey is were he is thanks to his start with The Smiths.”

No.

Then why didn’t the other Smiths also benefit ? Don’t you think the others in the Smiths were just as talented as Morrissey?

yet strangely they went nowhere.

Morrissey would have eventually made his mark with or without Marr.

The Smiths were on the slide, and the cracks were showing for some time before they split. Post-'Queen is Dead' you have an absolute turkey of a single ('Sheila Take a Bow'), and a badly under-produced one ('Ask'). The the final album had at least two turkeys on it ('Death at One's Elbow' and 'Unhappy Birthday'), and musically in that later period the band sounded increasingly uninspired - 'Shoplifters' was 'How Soon Is Now'-lite (and had folks comparing Marr's layered guitar solo to Brian May) and later 'rock' numbers like 'Stop Me' and 'I Started Something...' sound insipid and are only saved by Morrissey's vocal and lyrics. There are a few classic songs/recordings post-'Queen is Dead' ('Panic', 'Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me', 'I Won't Share You') but there's an awful lot of mediocrity. Morrissey was slipping into a complacent, self-parodic rut, which the break-up of The Smiths seems to have shocked him out of, and Marr was demonstrating that his musical skills lay in depth rather than breadth.

A predicament with which I imagine you have great sympathy.
why would i have great sympathy with that,you should be asking skinny why he used to belittle people on here.

why would i have great sympathy with that,you should be asking skinny why he used to belittle people on here.
Radis desperately needs the approval of the more established Morrissey hate mongers. He is one of life’s followers.

No, there's really no point. Not when so many people on here seem so eager to belittle themselves with absolutely no encouragement from anyone else.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom