Post a suggestion to Simon Goddard - Mozipedia correction thread

Kewpie

Subscriber
Some people already pointed out omissions of the following people from the book:

Tim Broad
Jo Slee

What / who else you found / would like to add?

*edit*
Thanks Peter, I haven't read the book yet, didn't know Julia is mentioned.

Last edited:
Will he read our suggestions?

And.. why don't suggest Vulgar Picture web site as source of information about Morrisseys/Smiths' album covers?

Last edited:
My suggestion is:

- Kewpie *shurugs*

I would go as far as to say that if it's got important people missing like Jo Slee & Tim Broad from it, I'll wait for a 'second edition' before parting with my hard earned.

Julia Riley is there quite a lot, under True-To-You, and at the back in the acknowledgments preamble.

Peter

A few people have mentioned Jo Slee is absent..... but on what basis should the inclusion be on? That she produced a book or that she was a personal assistant?
If the latter, well Grant Showbiz isn't in there.... as well as many other ''back stage helpers'' (meant in no disrespect).

If it is because she produced a book, well the only book I can see that is mentioned* is Rogan's 'Severed Allience'. So there are plenty of other books / authors that could also have been included, but haven't as the books maybe related to Morrissey, but Morrissey is not related to the books...if you follow my drift.

*(I meant as a title to an entry - Linder's ''Morrissey Shot'' gets a plug in her section and Phill Gatenby's excellent ''Morrissey's Manchester'' gets a plug on page 249:thumb:)

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
coolio. what does he say?

He says ''every Morrissey fan should own four copies'':thumb:
:lbf:

There is section on 'Manchester', naming the places such as Holy Name Church, Rusholme etc etc etc. Just adds at the end, that all of the places are in the book ''Morrissey's Manchester'' etc etc:cool:

Jukebox Jury

A few people have mentioned Jo Slee is absent..... but on what basis should the inclusion be on? That she produced a book or that she was a personal assistant?
If the latter, well Grant Showbiz isn't in there.... as well as many other ''back stage helpers'' (meant in no disrespect).

If it is because she produced a book, well the only book I can see that is mentioned* is Rogan's 'Severed Allience'. So there are plenty of other books / authors that could also have been included, but haven't as the books maybe related to Morrissey, but Morrissey is not related to the books...if you follow my drift.

*(I meant as a title to an entry - Linder's ''Morrissey Shot'' gets a plug in her section and Phill Gatenby's excellent ''Morrissey's Manchester'' gets a plug on page 249:thumb:)

Jukebox Jury

But this is an Encyclopedia of all things Morrissey. So omissions will attract the glare of attention.

Simon Goddard - Did he get a mention? He probably should have had an entry on the back of his books :)

I noticed confusion over the Jake Owen / Jake Walters issue in the book. But then that's such a confused issue in itself anyway. Quite fitting, really.

You mean the book isn't clear that they're one and the same, or just the confusion over the two names he used?

Good point above about all the backstage people/personal managers/rent-a-chaps (ahem) but Tim Broad should reallly be in there.

Edit: I take it that that means James O'Brien is in there? Always wondered why he stopped working with Morrissey on videos.

Nonetheless, I hope the people who've bought it so far think it's worth the money. Still on my consider list.

I noticed confusion over the Jake Owen / Jake Walters issue in the book. But then that's such a confused issue in itself anyway. Quite fitting, really.

Last edited:
coolio. what does he say?

He described it as "the only essential guidebook" for anyone wanting to trace Morrissey's footsteps around Manchester.

Praise indeed.

Dave

Tim Broad was one of several people working closely with Morrissey who passed away in a short span of time. O'Brien seemed to seamlessly pick up where Broad left off, skinheads and all (a Morrissey request, I'm sure), and then he was gone, until the The Importance Of... documentary.

He came across as very well spoken, well groomed, obviously gay, and he laid the subtext on thick.

It's true people like video directors had no influence on the music, but something like Introducing M. or the Boxers video (more like a short film) were important works in defining the visual World of Morrissey.

No, James O'Brien is not in there. I re-checked the The Importance of Being Morrissey documentary, because I first thought that he was Tim Broad. Then googled him and had the fascinating read of the mainboard of this website about who did not want what included in this documentary and who did not feel his or her words represented well. James O'Brien had really impressed me whenever I watched that documentary and each time I wished I had a friend like this. Not everybody is able to swing somebody around who is soaked up in depressive thoughts, certainly none of my close encounters in life, and he seems to have some special abilities in that area.

But this is an Encyclopedia of all things Morrissey. So omissions will attract the glare of attention.

I look at it that it is a book of all things Morrissey (Smiths) that he wrote about / was influenced by.
Tim Broad made videos of Morrissey's work (as Jo Slee wrote a book on Morrissey's work.)
I'm sure that's why they are not included...... however........I have just looked to see if Derek Jarman is included..... and he is:eek:

Jukebox Jury

Tim Broad was one of several people working closely with Morrissey who passed away in a short span of time. O'Brien seemed to seamlessly pick up where Broad left off, skinheads and all (a Morrissey request, I'm sure), and then he was gone, until the The Importance Of... documentary.

He came across as very well spoken, well groomed, obviously gay, and he laid the subtext on thick.

It's true people like video directors had no influence on the music, but something like Introducing M. or the Boxers video (more like a short film) were important works in defining the visual World of Morrissey.

Thanks for the info. Just googled "thick", and its translation and obviously gay is not what I thought of when I saw him in the documentary, in fact did not cross my mind for a second until you just mentioned it. What do you mean by "he laid the subtext on thick"?

Thanks for the info. Just googled "thick", and its translation and obviously gay is not what I thought of when I saw him in the documentary, in fact did not cross my mind for a second until you just mentioned it. What do you mean by "he laid the subtext on thick"?

''Laid the subtext on thick''

Lots of it.... Like you would spread tomato ketchup on a bag of chips..... thickly....

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom