Possible Gilbert O'Sullivan lyrical crib in I Have Forgiven Jesus?

S

Skylarker

Has this been noted on here before? If so, sorry for being redundant.

If not...

I was just listening to Alone Again (Naturally) (by Gilbert O'Sullivan, whom Morrissey obviously enjoys; he covered Nothing Rhymed) and noticed this lyric:

Reality came around
and without so much as a mere touch
cut me into little pieces
leaving me to doubt;
talk about God in His mercy-

Oh, if he really does exist,
Why did he desert me
In my hour of need?
I truly am alone again, naturally

...It's also interesting to note that the narrator of this song also references an innocent, naive youth being corrupted by the onset of loneliness and romantic rejection, as does the protagonist in I Have Forgiven Jesus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also didn't realise that he, O'Sullivan had an album called Southpaw.

Yes - and not only does Nothing Rhymed provide the musical inspiration for Yes, I Am Blind, it also contains the line "Never again will I make that mistake". Which was semi-regurgitated in Girl Afraid.

(I'm originally from Southport, incidentally.)

(I'm originally from Southport, incidentally.)

I bet that Southport Grandma is neither from Southport, nor a Grandma :)

It terms of the original post: I think the connection between Alone Again and I Have Forgiven Jesus is a bit thin... asking why god has deserted you, or asking for mercy are fairy common themes in Christianity, probably most faiths. I doubt that Morrissey had it in the forefront of his mind when writing the lyric, when he has a lifetime of Catholic guilt to work from. But then again, I'm not omnipotent, so it might have been.

Dave

The idea of a sinful soul forgiving Jesus is in itself too blasphemous to need any additional inspiration. To ask "Why did he desert me?" is exactly the opposite - it isn't blasphemous and uncommon at all. One speaks about being punished for being created sinful, the other speaks about being punished for nothing. Please, Please..., Satan Rejected My Soul, Dear God share the same wish of a sinful soul to overcome his hopelessness towards reconnecting with the rational, fair, kind God of his childhood.

Back
Top Bottom