Positives that can come from covid-19

Good morning

I’m new here, I have never had time to post before due to commitments, but am now finally retired at 65 so looking forward to some debate. Not so much about Morrissey, more so about current events.

First off, am I alone in believing that some positives can come from this pandemic? Obviously the death toll is horrific, & the pressure on our great NHS, but going forward, once that has been overcome, maybe we need to reassess the way the world works, for the better.

For a start, were we ever meant to live in such a globally connected world? Perhaps it could be argued that this is mother nature’s way of telling us we need to keep borders closed & stay in our own countries. A more inward looking world, keeping to itself, can only be a good thing. The increase in expected staycations is a perfect example - spend your money in your own country, boost your own economy. Yes, airlines may suffer, but the increase in jobs via internal tourism would easily offset that.

And perhaps people will start to realise that the things they thought were ‘important’ aren’t so much really - a slower, kinder pace of life may prevail because of this. Deadlines, paperwork, the busy 24/7 lifestyles that people have been sucked into could be a thing of the past. A return to a 1950s style of life would be no bad thing.

Does anyone agree?

well it would be nice if this slower paced life had come from a genuine desire to rethink what is important but i think it's the fact of all of this being forced upon us that is the problem, and trying to sugar coat a loss of freedom and civil rights just hits all the wrong notes, im afraid.

This thread is :fire::fire::fire:

I think this topic may have already been covered, like, a month into the pandemic back when we all could still fool ourselves into believing it might have some small upside

I think this topic may have already been covered, like, a month into the pandemic back when we all could still fool ourselves into believing it might have some small upside
Insightful!

I miss the "insightful"-rating so much. "Like" doesn't quite have the same nuance.

Also, I miss the "redundant"-button.

GOD how I miss the "redundant"-button.

hmm, well I live in a China, a tyranny to be sure and as much as I hate it here?
the way people seem to naturally respond to crisis for the common good has been a marvel to see, but it also means that even though there is no prob here really, people like me?
laowai, we are under severe scrutiny constantly because of few Western ppl have decided to come back in with the virus, im not sure who i hate more, the tyrannical chinese guv, or other westerners still not getting it...

Insightful!

I miss the "insightful"-rating so much. "Like" doesn't quite have the same nuance.

Also, I miss the "redundant"-button.

GOD how I miss the "redundant"-button.
i was just thinking abot that too, bun bun!! something kept cropping up that made me really miss that redundant button!! the insightful button was good too. shame our ratings buttons had to be so dumbed down :(

hmm, well I live in a China, a tyranny to be sure and as much as I hate it here?
the way people seem to naturally respond to crisis for the common good has been a marvel to see, but it also means that even though there is no prob here really, people like me?
laowai, we are under severe scrutiny constantly because of few Western ppl have decided to come back in with the virus, im not sure who i hate more, the tyrannical chinese guv, or other westerners still not getting it...

that's tài guì le! 太贵了

Good morning

I’m new here, I have never had time to post before due to commitments, but am now finally retired at 65 so looking forward to some debate. Not so much about Morrissey, more so about current events.

First off, am I alone in believing that some positives can come from this pandemic? Obviously the death toll is horrific, & the pressure on our great NHS, but going forward, once that has been overcome, maybe we need to reassess the way the world works, for the better.

For a start, were we ever meant to live in such a globally connected world? Perhaps it could be argued that this is mother nature’s way of telling us we need to keep borders closed & stay in our own countries. A more inward looking world, keeping to itself, can only be a good thing. The increase in expected staycations is a perfect example - spend your money in your own country, boost your own economy. Yes, airlines may suffer, but the increase in jobs via internal tourism would easily offset that.

And perhaps people will start to realise that the things they thought were ‘important’ aren’t so much really - a slower, kinder pace of life may prevail because of this. Deadlines, paperwork, the busy 24/7 lifestyles that people have been sucked into could be a thing of the past. A return to a 1950s style of life would be no bad thing.

Does anyone agree?
In some ways, it’s a great time to be alive. We’re glimpsing the thrill of open horizons and new possibilities once more. And the residual glamour, of owning a car, might be gone for good.

I’ve started getting milk and The Daily Telegraph delivered again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning

Does anyone agree?

I see nothing but misery for the next few yrs regarding everything.

Sucks that he just refuses to put it out himself. I mean, there will always be a label that will release his work, but it might take a while for him to agree if he’s only offered a unglamorous contract. I’m sure he’s been writing with the band members.
My guess is he’ll be offered no frills, one record, contracts—along the lines of the Harvest deal. And for all of its problems, that blessed us with a great LP that remains the best of his post-Maladjusted efforts.

Back
Top Bottom