Portland, OR - Theatre Of The Clouds (Sep. 30, 2019) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side / Alma Matters / Hairdresser On Fire / Girl Afraid / Suedehead / Morning Starship / Wedding Bell Blues / Lady Willpower / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / I Wish You Lonely / That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore / Back On The Chain Gang / Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself / Seasick, Yet Still Docked / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / The Bullfighter Dies / Never Again Will I Be A Twin / Some Say I Got Devil / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Jack The Ripper // How Soon Is Now?

Setlist provided by ChadBC

• YouTube footage of Morrissey’s reaction in full. Link posted by Famous when dead

Related media items:

Last edited:
I won’t engage any further with you Anonymous, except to say you’re assumptions are off. I turned 50 this year, I own my house and have a great career that I’ve worked very hard for. I’ve been a long time fan; I saw The Smiths in the 80s and will always cherish who the four members were and what they stood for. I’m also a person of color, and an immigrant who has felt hurt and betrayed by Morrissey’s words and actions. Communication is a two-way street, and Morrissey shouldn’t be so hypercritical about it. Yes, was the woman’s protest unfortunate? Sure, but she was only (and to quote Morrissey’s words) “fighting fire with fire”.

Very original avatar/username, Skinny.

A "personal protest" would not be held at a public concert. The 2 people did it to gain attention for themselves at the expense of others enjoyment. Not much thought went into their "protest" posters. It's like the lazy journalists headlines and I'm sure the same few will trot out the same old "heaven knows I'm miserable now" headlines.
I thought venues weren't allowing people bring in bags let alone posters.

Where I live we don't call it "a protest" when just two people show a couple of signs. It seems their position was not very popular after all. I only see a couple in need of attention seeking to ruin a show. I understand Morrissey's outrage because the signs meddled with his political views and his right to express his opinion. Those signs were not about freedom of speech, they were about denying Morrissey's freedom to express his personal political opinions and an insult (bigmouth).
It"s strange and dangerous the way security failed to spot the signs. It could have been something more dangerous. In my last Morrissey's concert they made me open my little bag and they checked what was inside. I thought it was too much but in the end you feel safer knowing all people were checked.

Where I live we don't call it "a protest" when just two people show a couple of signs. It seems their position was not very popular after all. I only see a couple in need of attention seeking to ruin a show. I understand Morrissey's outrage because the signs meddled with his political views and his right to express his opinion. Those signs were not about freedom of speech, they were about denying Morrissey's freedom to express his personal political opinions and an insult (bigmouth).
It"s strange and dangerous the way security failed to spot the signs. It could have been something more dangerous. In my last Morrissey's concert they made me open my little bag and they checked what was inside. I thought it was too much but in the end you feel safer knowing all people were checked.

Well said, CT, & I do still think the cancellation is security related, but that's just my view....I stand ready to be corrected once the truth, & facts, become clear, as opposed to speculation. The 'protester' was just seeking to ruin the show for everyone and embarrass Moz...no such luck on either count, so mission failed to my mind. Moz handled it superbly.

She [protester] has made more of a dick of herself more than anything else. 5 mins of fame? Don't think so. There'll be 'those' who stand by what she did, seen them already on here; same old names in the frames. Tiresome...

I find it unusual that the set list is exactly the same as utah the show before this one. When all other back to back shows have had some differences.......

What do you mean "we"? The only thing you do in London is piss yourself in fear every time you see a hijab. Morrissey had to endure a brief confrontation over his ignorant views, boo hoo. He reacted like the snowflake that he is, threw a tantrum and cancelled his show the following night. He can dish it out, but he can't take it. These sorts of narcissistic traits can seem charming in a young person, but they're just pathetic in someone his age. Life goes on, nothing is accomplished, but let's not pretend that he handled this with any elegance whatsoever.
Morrissey is an eternal teenager poetically reflecting in his bedroom. We're lucky to have him on stage.

As for hijabs, they are indeed something to be feared. They represent a total lack of human freedom, the idiocy of Islam and the power it holds over the stupid.

Last edited:
Thank you Portland

Huge personal thanks to "the brave ones" in Portland for successfully rattling the racist with their banners. :clap:
Your demonstration calling Steve out made headlines worldwide highlighting the former lead singer of The Smiths and his far right views.
Let's be frank!!!! We need more and more of you at these performances.
Good people of the USA and Canada, be as playful as you like, Unite and take over.
He likes the Trident logo so much "Let him have it" in his face at all future performances.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

I understand Morrissey's outrage because the signs meddled with his political views and his right to express his opinion. Those signs were not about freedom of speech, they were about denying Morrissey's freedom to express his personal political opinions and an insult (bigmouth).

Huh? Are you really that sappy? Meddled with his personal political views and his right to express his opinion? How did the two people with signs stop him from expressing anything? He can sure dish it out, but he can’t take it when challenged, especially by a couple of millennials with hand made signs? Give me a break! Oh whoa is me... Morrissey openly supports a far-right group, and some people have a problem with that, so if he meddles with their political views, shouldn’t they have a right to express their opinion? Good for them I say. A lot of people and ex-fans obviously agree with the views of the protesters, so good for them for being the first ones to finally stand up to him TO HIS FACE. They most certainly knew they would get stick and possibly be met with hostility by thousands of people, so they have balls. Morrissey has none.

Sigh ... From now on, I'm going to pretend that he choose to be a librarian in Smithybridge, in the autumn of 1987. This kind of news items, and the usual 'discussion' that follows them in this forum, only make me unhappy. I used to be the only person I knew who really liked The Smiths. I wish it had stayed that way.

From Buenos Aires said:
There is nothing ironic about it: there is NO "free speech" at concerts.
They are hierarchical and one person has the microphone (Morrissey in this case) and he has the right to stop anyone from disturbing HIS concert.

I always remember a concert in which a guy decided to get naked and dance pogo... which was quite disgusting.
It was the concert of an experimental electronic band (somewhere between synth punk and industrial).
The singer finished the song and said: "Listen: I know you feel very interesting dancing naked, but you are not.... in most concerts you would be asked to leave, but I will ask you to get dressed again and understand that you are not the show that everyone else came to see".

The guy got dressed and was allowed to stay.

Different bands and artists allow different degrees of "freedom of expression" to the audience, but not band allows an "absolute freedom of expression" (i.e, I don't know any band that would allow a random person to pick the microphone and begin to sing some songs that he composed... it's not "his" show).
:thumb:

If he came to the UK there would be 10 of these banners at every concert. Unless he retracts his comments, he'll soon realise he can never tour in his own country again.

I won’t engage any further with you Anonymous, except to say you’re assumptions are off. I turned 50 this year, I own my house and have a great career that I’ve worked very hard for. I’ve been a long time fan; I saw The Smiths in the 80s and will always cherish who the four members were and what they stood for. I’m also a person of color, and an immigrant who has felt hurt and betrayed by Morrissey’s words and actions. Communication is a two-way street, and Morrissey shouldn’t be so hypercritical about it. Yes, was the woman’s protest unfortunate? Sure, but she was only (and to quote Morrissey’s words) “fighting fire with fire”.

I mean this with respect (not joking or provoking at all) - Can you tell me exactly what Morrissey said that made you feel "hurt and betrayed". Regarding the whole "for Britian" issue I've not heard anything offensive or non-logical. Sure, Moz says all sorts of other crazy stuff at times but in regard to the current controversy it has made me like him more, not less. Can you explain to me your feelings?

Any further thoughts on how he saw the sign in the first place? Am I just missing something? She seems pretty far back in the video. Adding in dim lights and not-huge-sign size I don't see how he even noticed. I suppose he is nearly super-human though. Maybe that is it.

There used to be far right groups in Britain that wanted to actually send foreigners home. These were the National Front and the British National Party. These groups are virtually non existent now. Instead we have lightweight parties like For Briatin that only want to limit future immigration. That's hardly extreme.

Morrissey is more of a classical liberal than a right winger - but most people form their opinions from the mainstream media.

There used to be far right groups in Britain that wanted to actually send foreigners home. These were the National Front and the British National Party. These groups are virtually non existent now. Instead we have lightweight parties like For Briatin that only want to limit future immigration. That's hardly extreme.

Morrissey is more of a classical liberal than a right winger - but most people form their opinions from the mainstream media.

exactly. it is scary how (sorry to offend) brain-washed many people are. They automatically think that any attempt to limit immigration is somehow racist. Yes if Europeans wanted to move to a country in the middle east or Africa those same people who say that doing so would harm the culture of those places.

Frustrating.

exactly. it is scary how (sorry to offend) brain-washed many people are. They automatically think that any attempt to limit immigration is somehow racist. Yes if Europeans wanted to move to a country in the middle east or Africa those same people who say that doing so would harm the culture of those places.

Frustrating.
There are many countries whose people would literally boil my head in a pot if I dared show my skin colour, yet I'm supposed to bow down to these people like gods when they show up in my land?

No dice.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom