Portland, OR - Schnitzer Concert Hall (Oct. 31, 2017) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

You'll Be Gone / I Wish You Lonely / I Started Something I Couldn't Finish / Spent The Day In Bed / Alma Matters / Speedway / When You Open Your Legs / Home Is A Question Mark / Istanbul / When Last I Spoke To Carol / How Soon Is Now? / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / The Bullfighter Dies / Jack The Ripper / Back On The Chain Gang / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / All The Young People Must Fall In Love / Ganglord / Meat Is Murder / Everyday Is Like Sunday // Suedehead / Shoplifters Of The World Unite

Setlist provided by an anonymous person

• Morrissey Previews New Album at U.S. Tour Opener in Portland on Halloween by Robert Ham - Billboard. Link posted by Famous when dead.
  • Photos by Sam Gehrke Photography (9 total) - Official Morrissey / Facebook. Link posted by Famous when dead.
    41157_portland.jpg
  • Photos (2 total) from @samgehrkephotography / Instagram. Link posted by an anonymous person.
    41158_portland2.jpg

• Chrissie Hynde backdrop during "Back On The Chain Gang" posted by an anonymous person:
    41136_back_on_the_chain_gang_backdrop.jpg

• Image from @farkomalarco / Instagram. Link posted by Famous when dead.

Creeps #MorrisseyTour2017 #Halloween
    41143_portland-band.jpg

Last edited:
Well, from what I'm reading it's not so much playing the same set each night ... it's playing so much of the same set tour after tour. Of course, he can and does play what HE wants, but at the same time, he's largely playing to the same audience ... so, why the lack of variety? I think it's a valid discussion point on a fan site.

I think it's largely a comfort thing - these songs both Morrissey and the band can play/sing in their sleep - they don't have to think about them at all, or worry about remembering the words/chords - all they have to worry about is the new songs. Padding half the setlist with 'standards' means they can coast through these bits of the show.

My hope is that - as the tour progresses and the new album is actually released - the number of new songs on the setlist is only going to increase, hopefully at the expense of some of those old faithfuls that have been played to death - it's a pleasant song, but I'm honestly surprised they can get through something as familiar as 'I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris' for the 700th time without falling into a coma.

Alma:

I Started...:

Speedway:

Same source,
Regards,
FWD.

I think it's largely a comfort thing - these songs both Morrissey and the band can play/sing in their sleep - they don't have to think about them at all, or worry about remembering the words/chords - all they have to worry about is the new songs. Padding half the setlist with 'standards' means they can coast through these bits of the show.

My hope is that - as the tour progresses and the new album is actually released - the number of new songs on the setlist is only going to increase, hopefully at the expense of some of those old faithfuls that have been played to death - it's a pleasant song, but I'm honestly surprised they can get through something as familiar as 'I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris' for the 700th time without falling into a coma.

Coasting isn't going to inspire repeat business though. And it's so confusing. And to any and all, I'm not trying to have any he's Morrissey! He do what he want! arguments.

It's telling that out of my 4 person local hardcore Moz group- and none of us have ever sat out a home state show- that none of us went. Me, I would have, but my wife needed to be up at 530 am. The setlist was our biggest reason, after seeing him multiple times in multiple, multiple tours and getting a largely similar show. Those 5 new songs were my primary reason for wanting to go, potentially hearing songs we hadn't yet prior to the album.

His voice sounds real good. Better than I expected

You’ll be gone

As to the Setlist, I think it has more to do with the lyrics. A lot of the older songs he probably doesn’t feel as close to anymore and he’s not gonna just do the songs that certain people like, hey me included, for entertainments sake alone. I think he chooses the Setlist because those songs meanings and words are what’s on his mind now. We got out tickets about a week ago and I can’t wait for the d.c date to get here. At that point he’ll be laying even more new songs which I for one am excited to hear

Well, from what I'm reading it's not so much playing the same set each night ... it's playing so much of the same set tour after tour. Of course, he can and does play what HE wants, but at the same time, he's largely playing to the same audience ... so, why the lack of variety? I think it's a valid discussion point on a fan site.

Somewhat agree although again, tour after tour, I don't mind the said list of songs. I tend to listen more to his lyrics and stuff like Meat is Murder, and Ganglord, are always relevant. Until the mass murder of non-human animals stops, then for all I care, MIM could be sung all night long.

I think obviously when people here are saying “new” songs, they’re referring to songs in the last 10 years or so. It is unusual for an artist with such a long career to play so many recent songs, with 6-8 older ones like this. You won’t find that from The Cure, DM, or R.E.M. when they were around, but Morrissey has always done his own thing with the setlist, at least these last several years.

It is unfortunate let’s say, if it’s a 20 song set, he doesn’t play maybe 8 new or recent songs and then 12 classics (I’d say Malajusted or earlier). And yes, playing some of the same ones over and over again tour after tour (HSIN, Meat Is Murder, Speedway…and some of the newer ones several times over) is frustrating.

i wont be paying a fortune to sit in a uk arena yawning to that set list- 15 years ago yesterday I was at st georges hall in Bradford listening to new quarry stuff, viva hate classics, smiths stuff and November spawned- the bull fighter may have died but so has my interest - good luck with the arenas with this bildge
I wouldn't consider buying a ticket for the UK tour on the release date. As discussed in this and many threads the tickets will be snapped up for resale, but theirs no way on earth that he's going to fill the bigger venues on the UK tour, I think he will struggle with the smaller venues, best thing to do is hang fire and wait for the bargains on Stubhub, or even better just show on the night, tickets will be almost given away on the night. I got a standing ticket for Manchester 2016 for £30, they were £70+ on release date. Truth is demand to see Morrissey is at an all time low, and I can't see that changing.

I sat right near a interesting lady. As
Soon as Moz started “Back on the chain gang” she came unglued. Screaming Fu$& You at the top of her lungs. That was it for her she lost her mind, she then screamed it all thru the next two songs. And was almost falling forward cos she was leaning so far forward flipping him off!

It’s interesting to think that with one more album have put out six albums starting with the comeback quarry. A number equal to the previous period of solo albums

I wouldn't consider buying a ticket for the UK tour on the release date. As discussed in this and many threads the tickets will be snapped up for resale, but theirs no way on earth that he's going to fill the bigger venues on the UK tour, I think he will struggle with the smaller venues, best thing to do is hang fire and wait for the bargains on Stubhub, or even better just show on the night, tickets will be almost given away on the night. I got a standing ticket for Manchester 2016 for £30, they were £70+ on release date. Truth is demand to see Morrissey is at an all time low, and I can't see that changing.

Very true especially with these trash setlists he’s put out the last few years

10 of the songs were the same ones he played on the last trip through Oregon. And that was 2 years ago. Several others are from his most recent round of touring. I started something was a welcome surprise to see on the setlist, and the new songs are well, new, but c'mon man. Shake it up a bit.

It's weird to see so much promotion for a new album, yet he won't promote himself by going beyond a basic group of about 25 -30 songs that he's been playing to death for what? well over half a decade now. It's bizarre.

I agree completely . It's now completely beyond rational comprehension . He has so many songs to choose from . Apart from the new songs pretty much everything here has been played to death for the last few years .

I don't get all the negative comments about Mozzers playing certain songs at every gig. Meat Is Murder, for example, is a song that I could hear twice a night. He should continue to play it until everyone embraces the f***ing meaning. Anyone who doesn't, or has an issue with him playing it, well don't go to the f'kin show.

As for Ganglords, Jack The Ripper, Alma Matters, WPINOYB...bring them on. They're set list classics! I'll never get tired of hearing those tunes.

yes that may be true but he has so many classic songs . Why just keep it to the same ones tour after tour ? he didn't use to do that . It is just pure laziness and lack of wanting to spend money and time on rehearsing new songs aside from the new album stuff . I don't know of a single other artist with his back catalogue that would go out tour after tour with the same set . It's not even about wanting a greatest hits set , just switch it up man .

Speak of the devil......
Open You Legs:

Home is a ?

Istanbul:

Carol:

HSIN:

Regards,
FWD.

Paris:

Bullfighter:

Jack The Ripper:

Back on the Chain Gang:

WPINOYB:

All credit to those sharing.
FWD.

What are you talking about? NYC and philly are both sold out and I havnt even looked at other places

FAKE NEWS there’s a shit load of overpriced tickets available folks and after seeing the setlist the after markets brokers will be liquidating at below cost.

The first night of a Morrissey tour used to be a great spectator sport for those of us who couldn't be there. Seeing what songs he'd choose to fill the set was always exciting, whether it was a new song, an obscure classic from his solo career (Such a Little Thing, At Amber, Trouble Loves Me, Whatever Happens I Love You, etc.) or a new batch of previously-unplayed Smiths songs he felt like showcasing.

But the stagnancy is now getting to be too much, even for an obsessive like myself. As exhaustively stated by others in this thread, he's just been playing a variation of the same setlist for the past...what, 4 tours now? Look at the setlist from the Hollywood Bowl show in 2007 and tell me there's any conceivable way that next week's show could compete. Depressing.

Still have hope he's got another great tour left in him, but this one doesn't appear to be it. Would love to be proven wrong as it unfolds over the next few months.

I think obviously when people here are saying “new” songs, they’re referring to songs in the last 10 years or so. It is unusual for an artist with such a long career to play so many recent songs, with 6-8 older ones like this. You won’t find that from The Cure, DM, or R.E.M. when they were around, but Morrissey has always done his own thing with the setlist, at least these last several years.

It is unfortunate let’s say, if it’s a 20 song set, he doesn’t play maybe 8 new or recent songs and then 12 classics (I’d say Malajusted or earlier). And yes, playing some of the same ones over and over again tour after tour (HSIN, Meat Is Murder, Speedway…and some of the newer ones several times over) is frustrating.
Perhaps it has to do with not wanting to pay performance royalties, so he's mainly keeping it to songwriters who are presently within the band?

Exactly, and I'm not even clamoring for more Smiths songs at this point - it could just be a much nicer show that spans and celebrates his solo career.

I recently saw DM, they played 3 songs from the new album. The remainder of the set covered songs from 8 past albums. It was fun and that's one reason DM can sell out so many shows in larger venues (a record 4 nights at the Hollywood Bowl) - it's not the same show tour after tour.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom