POLL - Which of the new songs do you like the most?

Which is your favourite of the 6 new songs played to date?

• Total voters
just listened to LONELY and I think its fantastic,voice is strong on it,cant wait to hear the album version,like them all really.
I think this album could be up there with the best of his output.

Homemade is a question mark

Spent day in bed

When you open you legs

All the young people

Jackies only happy

I wish you lonely

The difference in preference between numbers two three and four is small though and changes upon my mood

Home Is A Question Mark - certainly owes a debt to the melody of "Yes, I Am Blind" (oddly enough, also co-written by a bass player...hmm.), but it works as a total piece and I find the lyrics to be the strongest of the new batch.

I Wish You Lonely - enjoy the churn of the rhythm and Matthew Ira cracks the whip adeptly. The repeated barks of "heroin" ("heroine?") prompt a headscratch, though.
Jackie's Only Happy - a fun romp with a hint of "Girl Least Likely To." Does Jackie exist in the same universe as Roy, the keen window-cleaner?

All The Young People - slightly marred by Jesse's guitar belches and squelches at the end, but a unique song structure for M.

Spent The Day in Bed - just won't grow on me. However, it's better than two of the three songs Gustavo wrote for World Peace by at least a country mile.

When You Open Your Legs - Close 'em, please.

Home Is A Question Mark - certainly owes a debt to the melody of "Yes, I Am Blind" (oddly enough, also co-written by a bass player...hmm.), but it works as a total piece and I find the lyrics to be the strongest of the new batch.

I Wish You Lonely - enjoy the churn of the rhythm and Matthew Ira cracks the whip adeptly. The repeated barks of "heroin" ("heroine?") prompt a headscratch, though.
Jackie's Only Happy - a fun romp with a hint of "Girl Least Likely To." Does Jackie exist in the same universe as Roy, the keen window-cleaner?

All The Young People - slightly marred by Jesse's guitar belches and squelches at the end, but a unique song structure for M.

Spent The Day in Bed - just won't grow on me. However, it's better than two of the three songs Gustavo wrote for World Peace by at least a country mile.

'Home Is A Question Mark - certainly owes a debt to the melody of "Yes, I Am Blind"

also made me think of 'This is not your country'

Nice review, Jamie - thanks. I'm guessing from your tone that you think we have an OK-ish new Morrissey album on our hands rather than a classic (or even a pretty good) one. I'm not listening properly to the songs until the recorded versions come out.

Last edited:

The repetition of heroin, I took as one after the other, people are increasingly dropping dead from the stuff. More fools filling tombs. It's ridiculously potent, A:. and B: you have people cutting it with Fentanyl to increase the strength even more, so it's a recipe for disaster.

The repetition of heroin, I took as one after the other, people are increasingly dropping dead from the stuff. More fools filling tombs. It's ridiculously potent, A:. and B: you have people cutting it with Fentanyl to increase the strength even more, so it's a recipe for disaster.

It's interesting, in that choosing to call out heroin takes the sentiment of "fools" from the general into the realm of the specific. One wonders who in particular he was thinking of in this case.

It's interesting, in that choosing to call out heroin takes the sentiment of "fools" from the general into the realm of the specific. One wonders who in particular he was thinking of in this case.
He was pretty specific regarding soldiers, as well. I'm wondering when some American dipshit is going to cry "Moz don't love the troops!"

Well, Home is a Question Mark is romping ahead in our poll with nearly twice as many votes as the next most popular song. And it was written by new contributor Mando Lopez, perhaps the most surprising/encouraging addition of a Morrissey band member to the songwriting fold since Spencer Cobrin offered up Wide to Receive and Lost 20 years ago.

As to him singing 'Heroin' which seems out of the blue, at this point I can only guess...

It's maybe addiction as another target of his disappointments that he wishes lonely, heroin taking away a person he or someone loved. remember 'Sunny'.

He was pretty specific regarding soldiers, as well. I'm wondering when some American dipshit is going to cry "Moz don't love the troops!"

maybe M will 'take a knee' ... or is it because he's only got one knee? ;)

Home is a question mark is the song most in the mold of classic morrissey. If you're gonna add another song we might as well make a new poll that starts from scratch. As to jacky I just assumed it was heroine

Btw, forgot to mention I think this album is going to be miles better than World Peace (based on what I have heard so far).

I like 5 out of the 7 new songs, I think I'd struggle to list 6 songs I really like from World Peace, and that's out of 18.

maybe M will 'take a knee' ... or is it because he's only got one knee? ;)

But what happened to the other one?! :squiffy:
Something went wrong with lounging knees up and apart?! :(
So he has a plastic knee since when?
He's good at hiding that.
He'll be on that stage, no matter what.
Just kidding Ket. :D

The last 60 seconds of Home Is A Question Mark is the best thing Moz has recorded since the Quarry era.
I can't stop listening to that part, I'm somewhat addicted.

Are you able to add My Love... to the list?
My favourite is Home but some people may want to vote for My Love...

Looks like I can but would be a bit misleading at this stage as most people will have already voted. Can obviously be included in further polls, maybe when all songs have been released.

Back
Top Bottom