Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kiss Me A Lot

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Spent The Day In Bed

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage

Votes: 10 18.2%

• Total voters
went for istanbul,great production and a meaningful lyric.
all you need is me is wonderful vocally as well.

Looking at the list depresses me - when it comes to singles, things just haven't been great recently. Imagine this stacked up against a list of singles from the first 10 solo years (ie 'Suedehead' to 'Satan Rejected My Soul') and it's clear where 99.9% of the classics are. :(

Looking at the list depresses me - when it comes to singles, things just haven't been great recently. Imagine this stacked up against a list of singles from the first 10 solo years (ie 'Suedehead' to 'Satan Rejected My Soul') and it's clear where 99.9% of the classics are. :(

I was writing the exact same thing but you beat me to it, hard to believe this is the same guy that wrote Everyday Is Like Sunday, Suedehead, Last Of The Famous, November Spawned A Monster, Interesting Drug, and a spattering of others. Even his Quarry/Ringleader singles were decent, beyond that, it's just gone to shit.

Could not agree more, if I was creating a 2xcd of Morrissey's greatest songs, none of these would be included. What has gone wrong? They are not poor songs simply poor Morrissey songs!

Really? I think at least half of this list holds up really well against Satan Rejected My Soul, Roy's Keen, Dagenham Dave, Pregnant etc.
Of course the first seven singles (as found on Bona Drag) are unbeatable but after that it was as hit and miss as in these past 10 years.

I Wish You Lonely WAS technically a single by the way, and Staircase should have been!

Morrissey has rarely been the best at picking singles. This is a man who's arguably most well known song was stuffed away as a 12" b side. There's some good on that list and some not so - things like Istanbul, The Bullfighter Dies and Earth is the Loneliest Planet are never singles. I skip 'em when playing the album but that album does have other songs which could have been worthy singles.

My vote goes to Jacky. Its built-in lyric-induced imagery does take Mozentainment to the next level. Couple it with the crazy video and you have a winner.

Spent The Day In Bed is easily the best single of this time period. Funny, catchy, different from his usual fare but still obviously Morrissey. It's no wonder it has got more airplay than any other Morrissey single in a long while.

Back
Top Bottom