Poison v. NY Dolls

Currer Bell

Dearly Departing
so, i was riding home in the car last night listening to JACK-FM (it may be known in your market by other names such as BOB-FM and they play Fleetwood Mac followed by "Big black horse and a cherry tree").

They began to play a song and the chords sounded more than a bit like "Personality Crisis"...but no, it is Poison's "Talk Dirty To Me". :eek:

has anybody else noticed the similarities?

so, i was riding home in the car last night listening to JACK-FM (it may be known in your market by other names such as BOB-FM and they play Fleetwood Mac followed by "Big black horse and a cherry tree").

They began to play a song and the chords sounded more than a bit like "Personality Crisis"...but no, it is Poison's "Talk Dirty To Me". :eek:

Hair Metal was an abomination....

We have Frank-FM but its more the Fleetwood Mac stuff... they would, thankfully, never play Poison.

hair metal was the BOMB back in '88-'90.

Certain bands like Warrant and White Lion (which I like to refer to as "White Pride" because of the rednecks who loved them) sucked.

Poison and Extreme ruled!

I took the combined efforts of Nirvana, Guns and Roses, and Metallica to wipe these guys off of MTV.

I took the combined efforts of Nirvana, Guns and Roses, and Metallica to wipe these guys off of MTV.

For which I am reluctanly grateful...

However...

Guns N'Roses lost all respect when everybody quit on Axl Rose's Bi-Polar Act

and

Metallica lost all respect for being hypocritical by SUING NAPSTER after OWING THEIR CAREER to the bootleg tapes that were passed by fans in the Early 80's..

I was originally going to say that if any of those bands had been able to deal with success that there would be no Poison reunion tours happening now.

I was originally going to say that if any of those bands had been able to deal with success that there would be no Poison reunion tours happening now.

well that's true...

Hopefully Extreme will not reunite either and spare us of having to hear the Rockers sing the ballad "More Than Words"....

funny you don't mention Pearl Jam, Silverchair, Candlebox, and all of the other dreck that grunge allowed to blossom.

For which I am reluctanly grateful...

However...

Guns N'Roses lost all respect when everybody quit on Axl Rose's Bi-Polar Act

and

Metallica lost all respect for being hypocritical by SUING NAPSTER after OWING THEIR CAREER to the bootleg tapes that were passed by fans in the Early 80's..

It's hard to agree 100% with something, but I do here.....

AWSOME!

funny you don't mention Pearl Jam, Silverchair, Candlebox, and all of the other dreck that grunge allowed to blossom.

The point is that MTV wasn't playing Sonic Youth and dinosaur jr. They were playing Great White, White Lion, Winger, Warrant, and Poison, who were a bargain basement Motley Crue at best.

Just as Led Zeppelin can't be blamed for the thousands of horrible bands they inspired, neither is Nirvana responsible for Candlebox. I do think it's sad that Soul Asylum made it big briefly when it might have been Husker Du instead, but you can't have it all. Anytime something gets big they flood the market with clones.

Despite Axl's problems, he wrote some of the best songs of the genre and is undeniably a star.

Despite what you think of Lars, Metallica opened the doors for underground metal. this wasn't always a good thing, but it's nice that bands like Nailbomb and Godflesh managed to find their audience.

If I had the choice of going to see Poison or Candlebox and Silverchair opening for Pearl Jam, I'd choose Poison, though. CC Deville's guitar collection was always pretty entertaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom