Podcast: Simon Wolstencroft: "Me, Morrissey, and Mark E Smith" (December 7, 2019)

"Drummer Simon Wolstencroft has a great rock n roll story to tell. He turned down the chance to be in The Smiths; made 11 albums with Mark E Smith and The Fall; and later appeared on Top Of The Pops with his old schoolmate Ian Brown of Stone Roses. Oh yeah, and he hid his heroin addiction from friends and colleagues for 20 years.
(Recorded at Joshua Brooks bar, in Manchester)"

Apple:
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...and-mark-e-smith/id1463963883?i=1000458957800

Other sources:
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/adrian-goldbergs-talk-show/e/65853863?autoplay=true

Or MP3 to download:
https://we.tl/t-aUUSgvpyD4

Interesting listen - Morrissey & The Smiths discussed / Johnny and the stolen Lowry!?.

full

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you sum up the Morrissey bits? I'm too depressed to wade through it.

Reminds me of the memory of Snape in the last Potter episode, where it's revealed Snape has carried a torch for Harry's mother..."after all these years?" "Yes"

He never, ever got over not being in The Smiths and talks about Heroin as a way of coping with that disappointment even all the time he was in The Fall. You can hear it in his voice.

The music on that first Smiths demo wasn't much at all.
Moz's lyrics were the real revelation.
This guy Simon didn't have the perception to make that distinction.

Pobre tipo,se la perdio !¡¡y se gano el daño terrible de droga pesada,0 autoestimaa!!!!,hay que quererse mucho para darse con heroina!!!!!! POCA ACTIVIDAD EN EL SITIO...EN CUALQUIER MOMENTO MOZ VUELVE A DAR QUE HABLAR ,TIENEN ELECCIONES ALGO VA A DECIR,Y VA A GENERAR POLEMICAS,!!!! YA ME LO VEOOO!!!! ESTA MUY CALLADITO M!!!

Las letras de Moz y su estilo de cantar incluida su imagen,fueron casi todo en los Smiths,luego viene Jonhy M.el resto absolutamente reemplazable, el tipo ese se laperdio,es como comprarse un boleto de loteria ,sacar el premio mayor y despues enterarse de que lo perdiste, pooobreee

Me califican como troll estan locos no soy troll ni ahi!!!!!!

sounds like john cooper clark,his voice doesn't go with his face,looks quite a proper chap in his photo.decent listen,smiths is first ten minutes so theres no excuse about wading through.

If skinny is right, then I wonder then maybe Simon would have been grateful to have been in The Smiths and wouldn’t have sued Marr & Morrissey.

Discuss!

90% of the interview is about his drug habit - feels like the music was an afterthought. It must be hard not to feel like an under-achiever when your mates form The Smiths and The Stone Roses, though. Nice of the interviewer to rub his nose in it at the end - "I bet you wish you had a mansion in Cheshire" - of course the poor git does.

Quite misleading to say he 'took an instant dislike' to Morrissey - not really what happened, he just didn't like his voice or the early material.

Last edited:
90% of the interview is about his drug habit - feels like the music was an afterthought. It must be hard not to feel like an under-achiever when your mates form The Smiths and The Stone Roses, though. Nice of the interviewer to rub his nose in it at the end - "I bet you wish you had a mansion in Cheshire" - of course the poor git does.

Quite misleading to say he 'took an instant dislike' to Morrissey - not really what happened, he just didn't like his voice or the early material.
yip,very misleading and designed to get views.

Can you sum up the Morrissey bits? I'm too depressed to wade through it.

Basically he didn't want to rehearse 'in a freezing warehouse in Ancoats', didn't like Morrissey's voice/lyrics and none of it was 'funky' enough for him. Johnny tried to bribe him with bags of weed, to no avail.

Simon & Rourke would have made the perfect rhythm section! nodding out on time, they would have been known as the lotus eaters of the Indy music world!

Simon & Rourke would have made the perfect rhythm section! nodding out on time, they would have been known as the lotus eaters of the Indy music world!

Can't really comment on Simon's drumming abilities but the smack dealers of the world would have been dizzy with glee.

Basically he didn't want to rehearse 'in a freezing warehouse in Ancoats', didn't like Morrissey's voice/lyrics and none of it was 'funky' enough for him. Johnny tried to bribe him with bags of weed, to no avail.

Thanks!

sounds like john cooper clark,his voice doesn't go with his face,looks quite a proper chap in his photo.decent listen,smiths is first ten minutes so theres no excuse about wading through.

I was more afraid of hearing he didn't join because he could tell Morrissey was the devil incarnate tbh.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom