"Please, Please, Please..." promo on eBay; to be released as a Boxing Day single?

Please don't move this thread, I am not the seller, I'm just making an observation and just wanted to hear what other collectors think.

Is it just me, or is this a really lame promo:

The Smiths Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want 1 Trk Promo CD Morrissey - eBay UK

"Hummmm, we need to find a clever cover for this single, one which will stand out and catch peoples eyes or we could simply use the William sleeve". Jeez that must have taken them all of 10 seconds to come up with that one. Where is the imagination? Perhaps I'm just getting old and bad tempered :straightface:

please_promo.jpg

Is this item real? The sticker states the 'impact date' is Dec. 26.

Update Dec. 3, 7:50AM PT:

Item looks legitimate. Stoned adds a link to the scan of the back of the promo:

please_promo_back.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked the seller and he said it was another singer doing a cover and not Morrissey. It is based on an advert currently running in England.

It's labelled up as the Smiths so how can it (legally) be another singer, and who releases a Christmas cash-in on Boxing Day? By the way, using the phrase "impact date" in connection with anything other than a meteor strike should be punishable by public garrotting.

I'm the same anonymous as above- yeah I thought it was lame too- I collect oddball promos and was considering bidding on it. The seller was quick to reply but the listing is misleading. Maybe the tiny print explains it or maybe the sticker is covering up the artist name- anyway, you have one less bidder to worry about if you want the item :)

PS. my old eyes finally focused at it says "performed by John Porter" or something like that on the cd- just stare at it and you will see too :)

Re: Article: "Please, Please, Please..." promo on eBay; to be released as a Christmas

PS. my old eyes finally focused at it says "performed by John Porter" or something like that on the cd- just stare at it and you will see too :)

Surely that would be "produced by John Porter" - John Peel's Sound Engineer who recorded and mixed the Peel Sessions - so I assume this is the song from Hatful of Hollow (to be honest, off the top of my head, I don't think there are other studio versions other than the Peel session, are there?).

Also, another example of a Smiths B-side being good enough to later be released (nearly 30 years later) as a single.

Dave

I have been reassured that it is actually Morrissey who sings so....will be more precise when I get it by the end of next week:rolleyes:Cheers Moz

In these days it's very easy to make fakes. You just need good printers one for the cover and one to print on cd. Umm... Not sure about this one. I wouln not buy it. Also, if the buyer said it is the song from the TV ad, why The Smiths cover? He could even record the song from his TV on cd. No thanks!

Re: Article: "Please, Please, Please..." promo on eBay; to be released as a Christmas

This is no fake, have a good look at all the pictures available including back of sleeve. Nice buy Stoned (again).

This is no fake, have a good look at all the pictures available including back of sleeve. Nice buy Stoned (again).

Thanks a million Billybu69
Cheers Moz

Looks real to me. Excellent detail in workmanship. Hmmmm..how's the sound? Though we much prefer vinyls,(thanks Morrissey), these CDs , we've heard will soon be limited in production all together. Only the the top 25 selling, "artists", will gave CDs available...soon. The rest? Well, those downloads is all that's left! Get your CDs now, or forever hold your tongue.

Re: Article: "Please, Please, Please..." promo on eBay; to be released as a Boxing Da

It's labelled up as the Smiths so how can it (legally) be another singer, and who releases a Christmas cash-in on Boxing Day? By the way, using the phrase "impact date" in connection with anything other than a meteor strike should be punishable by public garrotting.

High JonnyBarleycorn. Hope yr well Johnny Barleycorn.you don't like me so I shan't sign this. Right. Night Johnny Barleycorn.

I agree this is not a fake

I think is is real as well

Back
Top Bottom