Please, please, please don’t let the Smiths reunite - Salon

Smart girl.

Beautiful article Annie, spot on . The smiths were short but perfect band. Let its beauty say untainted. If you are desperate to hear the smiths or see the smiths than listen to their album, look at old pic and youtube vids

The smiths not reforming, show the integrity and their dedication to creating a legendary act that can't be done twice of morrissey and marr

Last edited by a moderator:
Money changes everything. All the nay-sayers will be clamouring for tickets the moment it happens.

P.

I predict his next album will reach #1 and he'll get more national attention and eventually reform because the price will be right.

It's not the thought of re-uniting.
It's the thought of that big-nosed beak julia and all the other nutters hanging around at every performance ! A bunch of 4kin twunt-loons, the lot of em.
Oh ! But hang on a minute the twunt-loons don't like the Smiths do they

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Money changes everything. All the nay-sayers will be clamouring for tickets the moment it happens.

P.

Clamouring for tickets, with tears in their eyes. Of course if they had a reunion, one would go to see it, its human nature but they would still be quite heartbroken over the fact that the Smiths gave in.

that is perfectly penned and absolutely sums up my thoughts. i don't much like it when any band reforms really, realizing by this point in life that i place far more emphasis on the motivation to make music than most. but if the smiths reform - a band who quit on top - it would really ruin the spotless legacy. stay strong, marr and morrissey.

Beautiful article Annie, spot on . The smiths were short but perfect band. Let its beauty say untainted. If you are desperate to hear the smiths or see the smiths than listen to their album, look at old pic and youtube vids

The smiths not reforming, show the integrity and their dedication to creating a legendary act that can't be done twice of morrissey and marr

I might throw in a dash of Morrissey's spite and vindictiveness towards Mike into the reasoning as well. Had the band ended on better terms...they probably would have already had at least a brief reunion...if just to record an album of unfinished music. The Morrissey/Marr split and subsequent law suit(s) pretty much sealed the deal. When I think of The Smiths my only reflection to the past is to wonder what one last album after Strangeways would have contained musically. Myself (and I think the band) weren't prepared for this to be the end with so much promise still left in them. Sad really.

I might throw in a dash of Morrissey's spite and vindictiveness towards Mike into the reasoning as well. Had the band ended on better terms...they probably would have already had at least a brief reunion...if just to record an album of unfinished music. The Morrissey/Marr split and subsequent law suit(s) pretty much sealed the deal. When I think of The Smiths my only reflection to the past is to wonder what one last album after Strangeways would have contained musically. Myself (and I think the band) weren't prepared for this to be the end with so much promise still left in them. Sad really.

Although the Smiths life was sadly cut to short, i'm happy that they where a brief act that made songs of incredible beauty, i'm glad that it stayed in the eighties but would have liked it to be rather in the end of eighties.
I would have hated them to be a Rolling Stones sort of an act, that goes on forever. I'm happy with what the Smiths put out, and i frankly don't think that beauty could have been matched now.

But one will always wonder what great albums that could have be done if they stayed together just a little longer.......

Anyways, thank god or whatever that made the Smiths. Because it is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all. Smiths have been the only band for me that has written songs so beautiful and spot on that there have been several instances when i could not actually finish listening to the song or listen to them any further for that day..... I had never cried to a song before the Smiths came along.......

Also marr said that the Smiths were planning a disco album after strangeways. So maybe we dodged a bullet there :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doubtful The Smiths (proper) will ever reunite but I'd love to see Morrissey and Marr collaborate again. I think that's a much more realistic possibility. I don't think it'll happen though and it all boils down to Morrissey's attitude. He's like a jilted ex-lover. Marr seems more pragmatic and philosophical about things. But, of course that's just my perception. Oh, Tynamuna? 25 years on and I'd happily take a Smiths disco album over another uninspired Morrissey solo album.

I'm doubtful The Smiths (proper) will ever reunite but I'd love to see Morrissey and Marr collaborate again. I think that's a much more realistic possibility. I don't think it'll happen though and it all boils down to Morrissey's attitude. He's like a jilted ex-lover. Marr seems more pragmatic and philosophical about things. But, of course that's just my perception. Oh, Tynamuna? 25 years on and I'd happily take a Smiths disco album over another uninspired Morrissey solo album.

I think thats where the opportunity lies. They are both on record as saying the Smiths will never get back together but as far as I am aware neither has said I will never work with Marr again or vice versa - I may be wrong though. And with all due respect to the other two - it is Morrissey/Marr that everyone wants to see I assume.

P.

Of course they/we will. The sad thing is we will find it hard to get tickets cos every wank will crawl out from under their rocks just to tweet they attended The Smiths concert. I don't care if there is never a Smiths reunion (and I don't think they ever will reform, not as the same four piece anyway), but if there is I will want to go.
On a positive note, I was happy with the Pixies reunion, their concerts, and their last album. I'm glad it all happened.

P.

I won't, went to see them 3 times although one was cancelled when some twat threw a 50p coin that hit morrissey on his head during the first song in Preston. Anyway 1st gig in Manchester (can't remember venue but it was in Oxford Rd) was ok but I didn't come away thinking I had seen anything special. The last time was the Summer of the 10th Festival gig which was an all day event put on by Factory records. The line up was incredible with the evening being , The Smiths and New Order. On this occasion they were very good, however the big difference was the addition of Craig Gannon on guitar. This took the weedy sound of the first gig to a fuller sound which worked brilliantly in the massive old railway station that Gmex is.

Anyway my point is my memories are great from the last gig I saw them at and that's enough for me.

I won't, went to see them 3 times although one was cancelled when some twat threw a 50p coin that hit morrissey on his head during the first song in Preston. Anyway 1st gig in Manchester (can't remember venue but it was in Oxford Rd) was ok but I didn't come away thinking I had seen anything special. The last time was the Summer of the 10th Festival gig which was an all day event put on by Factory records. The line up was incredible with the evening being , The Smiths and New Order. On this occasion they were very good, however the big difference was the addition of Craig Gannon on guitar. This took the weedy sound of the first gig to a fuller sound which worked brilliantly in the massive old railway station that Gmex is.

Anyway my point is my memories are great from the last gig I saw them at and that's enough for me.

Wow seeing the smiths live...... Lucky lucky you

Wow seeing the smiths live...... Lucky lucky you

Yes I was particularly for the first gig as one of my mates said I have a spare ticket to see the Smiths tonight if you fancy it, the only song I know at the time was What difference does it make.

Yes I was particularly for the first gig as one of my mates said I have a spare ticket to see the Smiths tonight if you fancy it, the only song I know at the time was What difference does it make.

I also saw them in G-Mex, but missed New Order because my friend didn't want to stay after Smiths set.

You didn't see their Salford University gig?
It was one of my all time favourite gigs.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom