Morrissey Central "PLEASE LISTEN AGAIN (DUB)" (May 29, 2021)

The thing is, even in that quote, he doesn't say he hates reggae music. See the full quote Nerak posted (#15). Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, Janet Jackson - all the music he mentions that he dislikes in this context is mainstream pop, not reggae.
To be fair, he calls it the most racist music in the world, which one could equate with hate. Then there's the 'reggae is vile' quote. But like I said, it's obvious he doesn't hate reggae. He might have for a brief stint in the mid-80's, but other than that - no. And yeah, like you said, all the artists mentioned made mainstream RnB, not reggae.

I mean it's all personal taste, of course, but I've long been amazed that Morrissey claimed to see no merit in the work of either Stevie Wonder or Diana Ross (both capable of some absolute clunkers but also both have produced works of real beauty). Janet Jackson, on the other hand, is just unparalleled bollocks.

I mean it's all personal taste, of course, but I've long been amazed that Morrissey claimed to see no merit in the work of either Stevie Wonder or Diana Ross (both capable of some absolute clunkers but also both have produced works of real beauty). Janet Jackson, on the other hand, is just unparalleled bollocks.
I would agree with you especially wrt SW. He's written some beautiful music; Black Orchid, All In Love Is Fair, as just 2 examples off the top of my head...I could say more, but you get the general idea.

I think Janet’s made some great stuff. The Rhythm Nation album was edgy and sonically quite interesting. She also made some good soul music in the 90’s (the self titled album from 1993 and The Velvet Rope from 1997). She’s also an astonishing dancer. You’re too harsh, Bookish! :)

He was just talking about their 80s output.

Which is fairly dreadful.

I love Chain Reaction & Diana's glamour, so I'd disagree with him on that score. I Just Called To Say I Love You & Ebony & Ivory are borderline unbearable.

Janet's stuff all sounds like filler on a soundtrack.

Reading up on it, the record companies just wouldn't let them do anything that wasn't their idea of commercial.

Tbf - this one is alright:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong. Again. You clueless, lying piece of shit.
:rolleyes:

thewlis has been proved correct, once again its shown
you are wrong:blushing:
this happens 'when you watch the video montage' on youtube
instead of actually being there in person.:hammer:

thewlis has been proved correct, once again its shown
you are wrong:blushing:
this happens 'when you watch the video montage' on youtube
instead of actually being there in person.:hammer:
I’m still waiting for you to tell me your favourite song
Which shows you’ve attended and what’s your favourite .
It’s not there, is it?
Have you ever been in a car also?

Was there a song called (or with the lyric) Stop Enoch Powell in the 70s?

Pretty sure he was thinking of "Run Powell Run" by Laurel Aitken (1969) which is (a) brilliant and (b) an image of which was shown on Central in maybe 2018 or 2019?

I think Janet’s made some great stuff. The Rhythm Nation album was edgy and sonically quite interesting. She also made some good soul music in the 90’s (the self titled album from 1993 and The Velvet Rope from 1997). She’s also an astonishing dancer. You’re too harsh, Bookish! :)
Agree about her dancing abilities, so there's that! I don't know, it's just the *sound* of her records that sets my teeth on edge. But I'm thinking of her 80s stuff, and haven't heard much of those two albums you mention.

Agree about her dancing abilities, so there's that! I don't know, it's just the *sound* of her records that sets my teeth on edge. But I'm thinking of her 80s stuff, and haven't heard much of those two albums you mention.
Nerak posted a great 80s cut from Janet, and Rhythm Nation was a huge hit in ‘89. It’s not something I actively listen to, but I got to give credit where it’s due. But I also see your point, there are artists you simply cannot get into or even stand.

I’m still waiting for you to tell me your favourite song
Which shows you’ve attended and what’s your favourite .
It’s not there, is it?
Have you ever been in a car also?

who are you now, barnaby jones:crazy:
whats not there? my favorite song?
not there where, in a car?:crazy:
:hammer:

Nerak posted a great 80s cut from Janet, and Rhythm Nation was a huge hit in ‘89. It’s not something I actively listen to, but I got to give credit where it’s due. But I also see your point, there are artists you simply cannot get into or even stand.

She's got a lovely voice. It's the over-production that puts me off.

She's got a lovely voice. It's the over-production that puts me off.
I guess, some of it, at least. I think some of the stuff she made with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis was actually pushing the envelope and sonically exciting.

B-side to her single Mayfair (Trojan Records, 1970) and he mentions her My Boy Lollipop in Autobiography...

Last edited:
B-side to her single Mayfair (Trojan Records, 1970) and he mentions her My Boy Lollipop in Autobiography...

Thanks GirlAfraid!

That's a very ambiguous chorus - is it meant to be the white neighbours/colleagues being nice but then going racist at the weekends or something like that?

Thanks GirlAfraid!

That's a very ambiguous chorus - is it meant to be the white neighbours/colleagues being nice but then going racist at the weekends or something like that?

Could be, I just thought it was supposed to be sarcasm tbh.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom