Please help me understand the hate from a similar fan-base

OtherWisdom

As an introduction, I am the one responsible for the 'Silas Remaster' of four Smiths performances. There are versions 1 & 2 of these renditions and my thanks goes out to @DavidA for the opportunities to do so.

Years before I contributed to the Smiths fan base I was able to start a similar effort with the fans of R.E.M..

It all began approximately six years ago when a fellow fan and friend suggested that we set up an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) server in order to accept media submissions of R.E.M. content. We did so and soon we were receiving media content on a daily basis.

We then decided to publish as much as we could to YouTube and created R.E.M. Archive.

About one year of publishing content to that channel went by, and out of nowhere someone involved with R.E.M. Video Archive started engaging me on Reddit. In particular, they were accusing us of 'stealing' their video content from their channel. I tried reasoning with them and explained the aforementioned way in which we were getting our content. They just doubled down and wouldn't continue rational conversations to the point where I had no choice but to block their harassing behavior.

I opened a Twitter account in order to help fans find the YouTube content that we were publishing. Shortly thereafter, we had a new subscriber named Ethan Kaplan. Wonderful! Very happy that you could join us!

Two days later I posted our most recent YouTube submission and then this person from R.E.M. Video Archive started leaving accusatory comments on that Twitter feed. Again, I tried to reason with them but they were not willing to talk. Then our new fan/friend, Ethan Kaplan, left our Twitter group.

Fast forward about 2-3 years and we are planning a multi-part release of R.E.M. footage called 'Perfect Book' (remastered, etc.). Thus, we ask around all of the normal fan circles as to where we should get feedback about this upcoming release for the fans.

Two recommendations are at the top of the list: 'R.E.M. Fans United' (Facebook) and Murmurs.com. Both of these are run by the aforementioned Ethan Kaplan.

I joined both groups, followed the rules, made promotional posts about 'Perfect Book' and guess what happened? These same individuals, who lied to Ethan and many others, continued their lies again.

I (we) are now banned from both of Ethan's groups and don't understand what all the fuss is about.

As an introduction, I am the one responsible for the 'Silas Remaster' of four Smiths performances. There are versions 1 & 2 of these renditions and my thanks goes out to @DavidA for the opportunities to do so.

Years before I contributed to the Smiths fan base I was able to start a similar effort with the fans of R.E.M..

It all began approximately six years ago when a fellow fan and friend suggested that we set up an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) server in order to accept media submissions of R.E.M. content. We did so and soon we were receiving media content on a daily basis.

We then decided to publish as much as we could to YouTube and created R.E.M. Archive.

About one year of publishing content to that channel went by, and out of nowhere someone involved with R.E.M. Video Archive started engaging me on Reddit. In particular, they were accusing us of 'stealing' their video content from their channel. I tried reasoning with them and explained the aforementioned way in which we were getting our content. They just doubled down and wouldn't continue rational conversations to the point where I had no choice but to block their harassing behavior.

I opened a Twitter account in order to help fans find the YouTube content that we were publishing. Shortly thereafter, we had a new subscriber named Ethan Kaplan. Wonderful! Very happy that you could join us!

Two days later I posted our most recent YouTube submission and then this person from R.E.M. Video Archive started leaving accusatory comments on that Twitter feed. Again, I tried to reason with them but they were not willing to talk. Then our new fan/friend, Ethan Kaplan, left our Twitter group.

Fast forward about 2-3 years and we are planning a multi-part release of R.E.M. footage called 'Perfect Book' (remastered, etc.). Thus, we ask around all of the normal fan circles as to where we should get feedback about this upcoming release for the fans.

Two recommendations are at the top of the list: 'R.E.M. Fans United' (Facebook) and Murmurs.com. Both of these are run by the aforementioned Ethan Kaplan.

I joined both groups, followed the rules, made promotional posts about 'Perfect Book' and guess what happened? These same individuals, who lied to Ethan and many others, continued their lies again.

I (we) are now banned from both of Ethan's groups and don't understand what all the fuss is about.

REM are rubbish anyway....... don't get too upset

Tags
r.e.m.
Back
Top Bottom