Please Close The Door Behind Me - Morrissey statement at TTY

It's a long one!

PLEASE CLOSE THE DOOR BEHIND ME - true-to-you.net
20 August 2014

Morrissey statement

In response to 77 million questions I can only say this much on the subject of the Harvest drama. It is quite true that Harvest initially appeared like a saintly beacon of light, and they instantly packed us off to France where we recorded World peace is none of your business. The universe was back in balance, and we all considered this to be the very best Morrissey recording ever, and even the boo-hoo-suck-it-off elements of the press appeared to want to agree. At last I am born.

It all seemed too good to be true. It was. I believed that the rich soil of the album had several strong hit singles. Frayed tempers began when Harvest arranged the 'spoken word' films, none of which gave any clue as to what World peace is none of your business intended to be, or is. The films were OK, but they went nowhere and stayed there.

With every nerve alert, we pushed the label for a proper video for Istanbul to precede the album, not least of all because a single ahead of the album release might inch the album to a higher chart position. The label backed off, even though Istanbul received 55 radio plays in just seven days on a major US station. Instead, the label requested a fifth spoken-word film, which naturally had me fumbling around for an axe: no independent thought required. The UK label, meanwhile, created a quite fantastic television advertisement to transmit during the week ahead of the album release. I could taste excitement once again. The TV ad never appeared and my hackles bristled as my bristles heckled. The label responded with frosty aloofness, and I suddenly realized that we were not, after all, of the same species. I ploughed into them insisting upon "proper band videos, where the band play and I sing" - an evidently confusing concept that required seven weeks of explanation, detailed graphs and several drawn up maps.

The label suggested I come to Los Angeles and read passages from Autobiography in front of selected audiences. As frightening as that idea was, I hung on, desperate to believe that Harvest were not as cheap as they now looked. I hope to finish this statement whilst I'm still clean-shaven, so I will jump to the final curtain: during the weeks of the album release, the label were minus one single structural idea, and it appeared evident that each member of the team was acting in separate rooms without doors or windows. Mutual mistrust exploded between Harvest and I, and with fashionable pessimism, the label boss yawned and ordered the surface smartness of dropping World peace is none of your business three weeks after its release. There, now! This would not have happened to the Teletubbies.

Sorrily botched the project may now be, but it's worth it to get Morrissey out of our Inbox. Yes, I can be intensely persistent, and I certainly have an over-active fantasy-life, but the Harvest experience tells us that despite the blinding flash of teeth and smiles, it doesn't take much for the coin to flip and suddenly we're all compromised and shattered. All you need to do is disagree with the vanity of the label boss and your beheading will be slotted in between bottles of the most average champagne on the market. Just one weak-chinned drone can assert the fist of injustice and all of our efforts are flushed away. And thus ... they were.

I might be wrong, but I think World peace is none of your business will instantly disappear from iTunes and record stores and every download-upload-offload outlet on the planet, because Harvest technically have no right to sell it.

Most of the Harvest team are very nice, and I sincerely thank them for trying and caring so much - even if their promotional duties were fully undertaken by the Morrissey audience themselves, whose You Tube videos for World peace is none of your business fully provide the art that the label could not muster. The listeners instantly understood how entertainment could also be art. Staggeringly, I still believe that there's a label out there with my name on it, and one that will issue World peace is none of your business, and afford it the respect it deserves.

Thanks for reading this (rashly assuming that you have), and thanks once again to the Harvesters who tried.

We are boot-camp ready for Lisbon in October, so with the will of many gods, hopefully at least 38 of you will turn up.

MORRISSEY
20 August 2014

Related media:

Last edited by a moderator:
As Morrissey's new scorched earth policy puts a hit out on his own product, this leaves Years Of Refusal as the last - indubitably great - Moz solo album.

Quality stands, shite gets flushed. As Mr V would say, so it goes.....

Last edited:
Re: TTY Statement : Please Close The Door Behind Me

"Holy mother of dog - this is the best one yet! Finally, someone has figured out late-period Morrissey's strengths. These little gems are smart, beautifully filmed and they make use of Morrissey's spoken word abilities (which are considerable and have always been criminally underutilized). Morrissey finally seems to have conquered that peculiar, self-conscious awkwardness that has plagued so many of his videos. He's done a great job here, and so has the director.

If I didn't know who Morrissey was, and I saw this series, I'd certainly want to know more. Well done."

Anaesthine. May 19 2014, 04:31pm commenting on Istanbul spoken word.

Always nice to have an archivist around. I do love the spoken-word videos: Morrissey has always been a great reader - a literary tour where he reads excepts from his autobiography would have been (and could still be) a smashing success.

The "Istanbul" spoken-word video was particularly poignant: that look of world-weary, rueful resignation as he swirls the ice in his glass and eyes those dead flowers brings the weldtschmertz realness.

As for his other videos:"Tomorrow" says it all. :guitar:

As Morrissey's new scorched earth policy puts a hit out on his own product, this leaves Years Of Refusal as the last - indubitably great - Moz solo album.

Quality stands, shite gets flushed. As Mr V would say, so it goes.....
Agartha or Agharta; .....This is you,

A weak voice screaming, "Listen to me.....please. I'm oh so lonely with my Beefaroni.

Can't you see? I don't like Morrissey. Listen to me...listen to me....listen to meeeee!"

A weak voice screaming, "Listen to me.....please. I'm oh so lonely with my Beefaroni.

Can't you see? I don't like Morrissey. Listen to me...listen to me....listen to meeeee!"

Pathetic words from a pathetic mind.

Are you trying to master the copy-and-paste "insult"? At least be original when you attack - laziness is very unbecoming!

It really isn't, you know, and that is one of the most outlandish comparisons I've heard in a long time. Hatful of Hollow was no Blue Period, Maladjusted was certainly no Three Musicians, and World Peace is definitely no Guernica.

Picasso was a bona fide genius in a world in which that word is overused unlike almost any other. Morrissey is a just singer. A very good one, but just a singer.

If I were compairing their work you would actually have a point. I was comparing how they each have different styles in their career. The point is if you only enjoy the early period of Picasso are you going to complain about his later work to exhaustion? If you only like "Your Aresnal" and Smiths material are you going to spend the next 20 years bitching how the rest of the work sucks?

So please don't be so literal this is a blog.

Pathetic words from a pathetic mind.

Are you trying to master the copy-and-paste "insult"? At least be original when you attack - laziness is very unbecoming!

This is you Morrissey_Sucks.....You're oh so lonely....Your Beefaroni....is not enough.

You must tell us over and over....and remind us that Morrissey does suck..."see my name....see my name... are you listening...solo?...Listen to meeee."

that's you baby. Waaah....Waaah...

And John Barleycornpone....is just like you.

Last edited by a moderator:

It really isn't, you know, and that is one of the most outlandish comparisons I've heard in a long time. Hatful of Hollow was no Blue Period, Maladjusted was certainly no Three Musicians, and World Peace is definitely no Guernica.

Picasso was a bona fide genius in a world in which that word is overused unlike almost any other. Morrissey is a just singer. A very good one, but just a singer.

You completely missed the point, Supercorn.

Re: morrissey deleted on i tunes uk

Donkeydave, stop posting stupid comments on Jake's Instagram. Saying his girlfriend isn't a happy camper because of the way she's posing in a photograph? Are you serious?

Yes, she's half his age and has a "Because We Must" tattoo, but still.

Morrissey could start his own label. Times have really changed, and the new album deserves some publicity with his face on it. Tomorrow and Throwing My Arms Around Paris are videos that are simplistic but got him out there-which is enough,really. TTY is his safe harbour and if the fan videos were worthy , I think an effort from him would be well received. Social media will take it from there.

Wrong! You can still not like the last albums and maintain being a fan. You may adore the old stuff and enjoy today's live shows, without enjoying a large part of the newer material.

For example, the Cure's, Morrissey's, and Depeche Mode's recent output have not been stellar, one can argue, but one can still be a fan and enjoy the live shows and the occasional newer tracks. Is that so difficult to understand?!

I can relate to your analogy with DM. I'm a huge fan, but the last album that worked for me was 2006's Playing the Angel. I Love that one. After that, I'm truly disappointed. 80's DM is still my favorite.

Having said that, I'm not underwhelmed by WPINOYB. I don't see what all the hate is about regarding Morrissey, but there is room for discussion.

Of course, I wouldn't get on the Depeche Mode forums with the user name DM_Sucks, either. ;)

I can relate to your analogy with DM. I'm a huge fan, but the last album that worked for me was 2006's Playing the Angel. I Love that one. After that, I'm truly disappointed. 80's DM is still my favorite.

Having said that, I'm not underwhelmed by WPINOYB. I don't see what all the hate is about regarding Morrissey, but there is room for discussion.

Of course, I wouldn't get on the Depeche Mode forums with the user name DM_Sucks, either. ;)

Excellent point.

There has to be something between the ears ....besides a vacuum, for the negative nannies to understand your post, however.

I'm not underwhelmed by it.. but I'm not overwhelmed by it.

Overall I like it and I'm very happy to have new Morrissey music to listen to.

While it might not be his best work it's better than anything that gets played on the radio. That alone makes it valuable to me.

I imagine confusion is your natural state. You seem to hate it here, merde, so why do you hang about?

On this thread there have been many strange posts which would not look out of place on a Justin Bieber fan site. My personal favourite was the one which seemed to imply World Peace was the best album ever and even thinking it was just okay was not acceptable.

Morrissey is a singer. A song and dance man. His work will live on in the same way Lennon's post Beatles work lives on: some superb, some average, some dreadful.

To place him in the pantheon of the greatest minds in human history is pathetic.

Oh, it all makes sense now. This website is not about Morrissey at all -- it's about the trolls who are trying to make a name for themselves in a very small-town way (and failing).

Like it or not, Morrissey is more than just some singer because he DID change the music scene, so he influenced many who came after him. For better or worse . . . well, that's a matter of opinion.

Excellent point.

There has to be something between the ears ....besides a vacuum, for the negative nannies to understand your post, however.

Perhaps, but I get the sense that the same goes for the other camp at times. I thought we were having a rational, interesting discussion regarding Richard Blade's Facebook post on the "Morrissey Intervention" thread, but I guess we weren't oozing with enough praise for Morrissey there.

I'll accept anyone's well-articulated thoughts, whether I agree with them or not. It makes for an interesting discussion when we don't throw up our hands in outrage and resort to name-calling. Or the infamous - "You're blocked". Reminds me of The Kids in the Hall sketch - "I'm crushing your head!"

Again, for the record (since every current thread resorts to this), I really like the new album. My fascination with Morrissey as a troubled icon is on a different level of interest to my appreciation for his art. I'm grateful for this, because most individuals aren't likely to entertain you in one facet. With Moz, I get a myriad of amusements.

And I still want him to thrive, in whatever way that is for him.

Perhaps, but I get the sense that the same goes for the other camp at times. I thought we were having a rational, interesting discussion regarding Richard Blade's Facebook post on the "Morrissey Intervention" thread, but I guess we weren't oozing with enough praise for Morrissey there.

I'll accept anyone's well-articulated thoughts, whether I agree with them or not. It makes for an interesting discussion when we don't throw up our hands in outrage and resort to name-calling. Or the infamous - "You're blocked". Reminds me of The Kids in the Hall sketch - "I'm crushing your head!"

Again, for the record (since every current thread resorts to this), I really like the new album. My fascination with Morrissey as a troubled icon is on a different level of interest to my appreciation for his art. I'm grateful for this, because most individuals aren't likely to entertain you in one facet. With Moz, I get a myriad of amusements.

And I still want him to thrive, in whatever way that is for him.

I agree. I love interesting discussions. I thought this site was about that.

I haven't been here that long, but every time a decent discussion gets started the Walking Dead Heads start slamming Morrissey and the participants.

So what do you do? I"ve worked with some of the best agitators on the planet....face to face. I love that. Because we all know the limit.

This site allows too many cowards and trolls to go on and on.....because they can hide behind the fake name.

While it might not be his best work it's better than anything that gets played on the radio. That alone makes it valuable to me.

There's a total *this* in for that. It must fall in line with artists finding it hard to live up to former greatness among their fan base or something? But I totally agree with you. I'd rather listen to [insert your subjective 'worst Morrissey album'] on infinite loop than have to hear one song of Creed, Distained, Disturbed, whatever the names are of alternative rock in the mainstream here. Same goes for the hip hop and pop.

But of course, I haven't turned on the radio in years, other than AM talk radio. I enjoy independent stuff on channels like somafm.com. That and I'm a big nerd who listens to a lot of bloops and bleeps without singing, mixed with trance and dubstep sounds, such as can be heard on scenesat.com.

And satire dies of suffocation under the big fat weight of irony.

Time to change your channels mate.

Or put your fingers in your ears and pretend YOR isn't a pile of shite only tedious MOR-loving drones would enjoy...

Tags
deleted itunes morrissey

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom