Pittsburgh, PA - Heinz Hall (Jan. 21, 2013) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

Shoplifters Of The World Unite / You Have Killed Me / Speedway / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Action Is My Middle Name / Alma Matters / Maladjusted / Still Ill / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Black Cloud / You're The One For Me, Fatty / November Spawned A Monster / To Give (The Reason I Live) / I Know It's Over / Let Me Kiss You / Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want / Meat Is Murder // How Soon Is Now?

set list provided by an anonymous person

Last edited:
You are not a real fan then. I hate this poser fans on this site

Why is he a poser if he didn't care for the video? I guess I am too, even though I've been a fan since The Smiths days. I also thought the video was too much and I think it brought the fun of concert to a screeching halt. Love the man's music but I don't have to believe in everything he does. If that makes me or others "Posers" in your eyes, then so be it.

Totally understand where you're coming from and appreciate you coming from a different opinion in a kinder manner than Alfie F. or Alan or or or or or or
Mick Jagger is 85 and still dances!

Most of us only get to see Morrissey a few times in our lives and don't get a chance to find the songs overplayed. and, people, come on, the man is 53 years old, you can't expect him to dance around like he was 25 again. I think that if you don't want to hear the set list, stay home and let those of us out here who dream of just maybe being able to see him again before he quits touring altogether a chance to enjoy a great show without the negativity. and, before anyone on here says that "maybe you should go to more shows", I do have a full time job and family and for most of us out here traveling all over just to follow a band (no matter how masterful they are) is simply not possible. I am just thrilled to be in the same room as Moz once again and, to me, he was great, the band was great, and I hope that he honors our town with his presence again.

Shoplifters Of The World Unite
You Have Killed Me
Speedway
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Action Is My Middle Name
Alma Matters
Maladjusted
Still Ill
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Ouija Board, Ouija Board
Black Cloud
You're The One For Me, Fatty
November Spawned A Monster
To Give (The Reason I Live) (Frankie Valli cover)
I Know It's Over
Let Me Kiss You
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want
Meat Is Murder
Encore:
How Soon Is Now?

Most of us only get to see Morrissey a few times in our lives and don't get a chance to find the songs overplayed. and, people, come on, the man is 53 years old, you can't expect him to dance around like he was 25 again. I think that if you don't want to hear the set list, stay home and let those of us out here who dream of just maybe being able to see him again before he quits touring altogether a chance to enjoy a great show without the negativity. and, before anyone on here says that "maybe you should go to more shows", I do have a full time job and family and for most of us out here traveling all over just to follow a band (no matter how masterful they are) is simply not possible. I am just thrilled to be in the same room as Moz once again and, to me, he was great, the band was great, and I hope that he honors our town with his presence again.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree with a few of your points. First, I have been a fan since the 1980s era, so I have very high expectations for Morrissey; this is based on his track record of quality musical and lyrical releases, as well as his comments on other people--entertainers and celebrities alike. Since he is able to be critical of others, he should expect the same (and be able to handle) from his fans. I do not expect him to dance around like a 25 year-old, but I do expect him to put on a good show. He did this in terms of energy into the gig. I am also married, and I have children; I also have a career. I do not travel around to see him anymore, so when I have the opportunity to do so, I expect something stronger in terms of the setlist; this is my right, as yours is to be happy with what he plays. Having seen him numerous times in his prime, he had consistently included a solid, varied group of songs that spanned his catalog. His recent sets do not reflect this. He has basically chosen many lackluster songs that are not too impressive according to many of us. Again, it is our right to voice an opinion, as you have done the same. If you did have the time to follow more shows, you would hear/see the same songs in different order. And, if you compare the songs from this time around to last time, you will see many similarities. As for staying home, I don't think so. I went to the show, paid for my tickets, and I hoped for something new in terms of what he put out. However, it was not varied, and the songs are really not that strong.

I understand your opinion, and I hope you understand mine.

Cheers!

OMG who cares who is the biggest fan. :straightface: Did he say anything funny?

Erik and Anonymous (ha), I think it's excellent you both are expressing your opinions. Music means different things to everyone.

I couldn't disagree w/ you more, however. I think Morrissey's last three studio releases are easily his best (w/ MAYBE Vauxhall and I occupying second place). But I think Years of Refusal is an excellent album - regardless of how old he was when he made it. The melodies are rich, the music is heartfelt and driving, the lyrics are his usual witticisms and it is creative and experimental in places. I couldn't love it more. And, yes, of course I love Viva Hate and Your Arsenal as much as the next true Morrissey fan.

I also think he did a great job mixing the setlist up last night -- four or five smiths songs for those who want them (i'd be thrilled w/ nothing but morrissey, but i know that wouldn't be the preference of the majority there last night), some bigger singles (everyday, paris, fatty) some new stuff (action) and some album deeper cuts that you wouldn't have expected (maladjusted, black cloud). Sure, I would have LOVED some b-sides (especially ones from 2004-09), but... it was about as excellent as you could expect for an artist of his stature.

Again, I'm glad you expressed your opinions. Just wanted to throw mine out there. Too many people don't want their idols to make music beyond their initial burst of creativity. And, in a good amount of cases, there's good reason for that (i.e., they suck). But, there are artists who indeed should still be making music because they're still relevant and remain creative (e.g., morrissey, bowie, radiohead, neil young)

Erik and Anonymous (ha), I think it's excellent you both are expressing your opinions. Music means different things to everyone.

I couldn't disagree w/ you more, however. I think Morrissey's last three studio releases are easily his best (w/ MAYBE Vauxhall and I occupying second place). But I think Years of Refusal is an excellent album - regardless of how old he was when he made it. The melodies are rich, the music is heartfelt and driving, the lyrics are his usual witticisms and it is creative and experimental in places. I couldn't love it more. And, yes, of course I love Viva Hate and Your Arsenal as much as the next true Morrissey fan.

I also think he did a great job mixing the setlist up last night -- four or five smiths songs for those who want them (i'd be thrilled w/ nothing but morrissey, but i know that wouldn't be the preference of the majority there last night), some bigger singles (everyday, paris, fatty) some new stuff (action) and some album deeper cuts that you wouldn't have expected (maladjusted, black cloud). Sure, I would have LOVED some b-sides (especially ones from 2004-09), but... it was about as excellent as you could expect for an artist of his stature.

Again, I'm glad you expressed your opinions. Just wanted to throw mine out there. Too many people don't want their idols to make music beyond their initial burst of creativity. And, in a good amount of cases, there's good reason for that (i.e., they suck). But, there are artists who indeed should still be making music because they're still relevant and remain creative (e.g., morrissey, bowie, radiohead, neil young)

Hey, I am the anonymous person. Thanks for posting your response in a civilized manner. You make many valid points, and while I remain a bit disappointed in the show, your post has helped me to understand how others may feel.

OMG who cares who is the biggest fan. :straightface: Did he say anything funny?

Not really. It was actually sort of depressing, I was hoping to hear him say something hilarious. One mildly humorous part came through though when he was introducing the band, and described Boz as "girlishly shy." Had a chuckle at that.

I cringed when he passed the mic around. Come on, Pittsburgh. He asked "are you well?" to like, three people, and they ALL said, "Yes, I'm okay." Seriously? Come on.

My brother and I were too far back to get any decent pictures. That's okay. I still enjoyed the experience. I do feel as though I had a better time at the St. Patrick's Day concert in 2009, though. No, I was not wasted.

"Maladjusted," "Speedway," and surprisingly "Ouija Board" were the highlights, at least for me. I was desperately hoping for a repeat of "That Joke," but alas, it was not to be. I figured as much before going in. A repeat of "Sheila Take A Bow"'s one-off performance.

great , I'm happy for you Rockabilleigh, as I know you come around on solo and to gigs for years

Prtetty ure someone has taped it and have the song filmed, when you came on stage

keep on that cloud for a few days, I would too, but that will never happen or happened

from rotten days in a provicial town, I greet you from the Netherlands

:thumb:

Don't know which one you are, that was able to land on stage...but extremely jealous...followed Morrissey's career for 25+ years now and this was my first show....What a magnetic stage presence he has...Bar none "BEST SHOW EVER"....Honestly these other reviews that were so so and complain about his playlist, cmon man what did you expect first off he is 53 do you want him jumping all over the stage....Good for you, cherish that moment in time...as i'm sure you will

Stellar performance...my first time seeing Morrissey and I'd definitely go again. The opening act...terrible. I'd much rather see Patti Smith. LA is lucky!

While I respect your passion in the opinion below, I could not disagree more. He has over-played these songs and I am sick down to my heart of them.
Actually, I never cared for any of them. Aside from a few B-sides....I haven't enjoyed or related to any of post-Maladjusted era catalogue. Being a 38 year old
fan, doesn't quite qualify me for Smiths live era fan, but certainly for the whole of Morrissey's solo career. It does seem that a lot of fans would agree with me (whether they admit it or not) I guess I'm just not a fan of the over 40 Morrissey. It just keeps getting worse too. His mannerisms on stage, his Kermit grunts, the tone of his singing voice, the way he annunciates words now. I have lost the fervency and urgency to listen and keep up like I used to, call it maturity call it what you will but life goes on. Life after Morrissey - who'd of thunk it? Still, I won't forget the songs that saved my life, and I'll think of him kindly.
-Erik

Erik, I couldn't agree more with your post. I think it's very spot on and kind.

Don't know which one you are, that was able to land on stage...but extremely jealous...followed Morrissey's career for 25+ years now and this was my first show....What a magnetic stage presence he has...Bar none "BEST SHOW EVER"....Honestly these other reviews that were so so and complain about his playlist, cmon man what did you expect first off he is 53 do you want him jumping all over the stage....Good for you, cherish that moment in time...as i'm sure you will

did you read this item from the beginning, I qoute a comment from a long time fan who went onstage and touched Morrissey

I live in Europe, read it, and was happy to read it

Next time, read from the beginning, and start moaning to the right person

FYI, Morrissey likes to keep in touch during his gig with the crowd, and if it's safe, and not a rush of people,
just a person He's happy to accept the apreciation from devoted regualars

Mhh, I start to understand why he skipped Pittsburgh a few times, or cancelled it, or even named it in Malajusted... just
for people like you...

Maybe Johnny Marr , who starts an USA tour, might come to Pittsburgh...

:eek:

Listen, before people start slagging off Pittsburgh, his show here in 2009 was one of the best crowds ever, even Moz himself was taken aback by the amount of joy and love radiating towards the stage... the crowd Monday was a good but not great and that might have been because of the venue, Heinz Hall is normally for the symphony so maybe that had something to do with it,, watching security it seemed that a few were a bit over-zealous to keep the stage free from anyone... as for the setlist i'm on the fence, could he stack it with nothing but "hits"? yes, but everyone loves different songs so he keeps it varied, sure there are things i'd like to hear but i'm happy to hear whatever gets played, people need to quit whining about it and enjoy the show... as for the woman who got onstage towards the end, what a brilliant moment, here's hoping he comes back cuz regardless of what those outside this city say, this place loves him.

...I cringed when he passed the mic around. Come on, Pittsburgh. He asked "are you well?" to like, three people, and they ALL said, "Yes, I'm okay." Seriously? Come on. ...

I actually thought it was pretty funny. Instead of a breathless recitation of how much they loved Morrissey, it was if they were trying to mimic his deadpan reaction to anything that comes from the crowd. I'm sure he would appreciate the sentiments.

Listen, before people start slagging off Pittsburgh, his show here in 2009 was one of the best crowds ever, even Moz himself was taken aback by the amount of joy and love radiating towards the stage... the crowd Monday was a good but not great and that might have been because of the venue, Heinz Hall is normally for the symphony so maybe that had something to do with it,, watching security it seemed that a few were a bit over-zealous to keep the stage free from anyone... as for the setlist i'm on the fence, could he stack it with nothing but "hits"? yes, but everyone loves different songs so he keeps it varied, sure there are things i'd like to hear but i'm happy to hear whatever gets played, people need to quit whining about it and enjoy the show... as for the woman who got onstage towards the end, what a brilliant moment, here's hoping he comes back cuz regardless of what those outside this city say, this place loves him.

First - thank you...it was a brilliant moment, possibly the best of my life so far, certainly the one I've waited the longest for! Second, I agree, I adored the 2009 show. This may have been a bit lower energy but I thought the set list was really excellent. A fantastic mix of old and new. And yes, local security was a bit rough...I don't think the man who put both arms around my waist and tried to drag me off expected me to be as mighty as I was...but 25+ years of waiting to get on stage provides a lot of adrenaline.

I also just wanted to mention all the people complaining about the lackluster response from the audience when Moz handed them the mic....all three that he spoke to were Moz faithful who follow him to every show. If only that were my life.

I agree with you. I went to both Pgh shows and also had tickets to the shows he cancelled back in the 90s. I was THRILLED when I saw that he included our small town on this tour and, even if our fan base may be smaller than say LA, we do not love Morrissey any less. A day doesn't go by that I don't listen to at least a few of his songs and I know many others like me. Hoping he'll be back one day too!

I’m a veteran of almost 30 years of Mozz watching, I saw him when we were both in our 20s and now we’re both in our 50s. While his performances today are far more restrained than they were 30 years ago it is a wonder that he is as good as he is after so long. Considering the problems he had with his voice a few years ago I am amazed he didn’t just give up. Instead he carries on touring even when he doesn’t have a recording contract and has no new product to promote; the man is doing this out of the pure love of performing live. if you don't want to see him then don't waste your money, there are some wonderful bands like Alt-J or Django Django who could do with you ahrd earend shekels.

I’m amazed by people who wonder why he plays pretty much the same songs over and over, I can only assume that most people have never played in a band so have no idea what it is like playing live. You can only keep so many songs in the repertoire; you can’t just dig old songs and then rehearse them to the point where they are ready for public performance in the middle of a tour. With all the travelling and everything else you have limited time to get everybody together to add songs into the setlist, it’s not a f***ing jukebox or an iPod set on shuffle. That being said I’m glad he kept “Action” and dropped the other new stuff, never warmed to “Scandinavia” or “People are the same everywhere”.

And how sweet were the security? They were firm but polite and looked so thoroughly apologetic for refusing people access to the stage. Rockabilleigh we saw you, from the front of the box on the left hand side, you were a true gentleman of a stage invader, my deepest respect to you, sir! And love the quiff, I recall the days when I had enough hair to look similar.

Heinz Hall was far better than the Troxy though not as good as the Palladium but it was my friend’s first ever live Mozzer experience after adoring him since “The Queen is Dead came out, she was transfixed throughout and was almost catatonic in the cab back to the hotel.

Jat lagged to f***, back in London and can't wait for the next one.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom