Pictures of something interesting near where you live

The Seeker of Good Songs

A compare and contrast with a recreation area near to me.
Pictures from last years rainy season and current.

some trivia here...this bridge was in the film "XXX" with Vin Diesel...he jumps his car off of it.

interesting facts, the Foresthill Bridge.
The Highest in California.
The 3rd highest in the USA!
The 9th highest bridge in the WORLD.

Top 10 Highest Bridges

(Measured from the road to the surface beneath the road)

1. Royal Gorge, Colorado U.S.A. 950 feet
2. Beipanjiang River Railway, Liupanshui, China 918 feet
3. Millau Viaduct, France 900 feet
4. New River Gorge, WV, U.S.A. 876 feet
5. Jiangjiehe River, Weng'an Co., China 863 feet
6. Italia Viaduct, Laino Borgo, Italy 843 feet
7. Sfalassa Gorge, Bagnara Calabra, Italy 820 feet
8. (Unknown Arch), Andes Mountains, Colombia 750 feet
9. Foresthill, Auburn, CA U.S.A. 730 feet
10. Platano Viaduct, Romagnano al Monte, Italy 722 feet high

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

This bridge:
The Mountain Quarry Cement Bridge, later known as "No Hands Bridge," was completed on March 23, 1912, by 600 men working on the Placer County side and 200 more on the El Dorado side to the tune of $300,000. At the time of its construction the bridge was the longest concrete arch bridge in the world. The building of this structure proved that concrete was practical for building long bridges. Although it was plagued by various problems during construction , the span was considered a great piece of railroad bridge engineering.

Today, a portion of the old rail route is designated as the Western States Pioneer Express Recreation Trail, in accordance with the National Trails System Act. It is primarily used by horsemen, runners and hikers. The name "no hands" came from veteran rider, Ina Robinson, who would drop her reins to ride across the then guardrail-less bridge. The bridge now stands as the "gateway to Auburn" and the final American River crossing of the Western States 100 Mile Endurance Ride and Run.

7.jpg

further information on this area if interested:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/502/files/ASRANews111503.pdf

Last edited:

Welcome to Bahia Honda State Park

Henry Flagler's railroad to Key West turned the remote island of Bahia Honda Key into a tropical destination. Today, the island is home to one of Florida's southernmost state parks, known for beautiful beaches, magnificent sunsets, and excellent snorkeling. Visitors can picnic on the beach and take a swim, or simply relax and enjoy the balmy sea breezes that caress the shores year-round. Anglers can fish from shore or bring a boat and launch at the boat ramp. The park's concession rents kayaks and snorkeling gear and offers boat trips to the reef for snorkeling excursions. Bahia Honda is an excellent place to see wading birds and shorebirds. The nature center can introduce nature lovers to the island's unique plants and animals. Full-facility campsites and vacation cabins are available. Located 12 miles south of Marathon.

*edit* click on the picture for a nice, big view. This is one of my favorite places...

Last edited:
I'm coming to live with you!!!!

Not a location or something :)D) but Sweden's winner of Idol 2005 was from my school and another one from the same class is in Idol this year and about half them is out by now, great school ey?

:D

Im not in San Antonio, but the Riverwalk is worth the visit.....

1Sananton.jpg

Heathcliff - it's me, your Cathy, I've come home...

Haworth3b.jpg

I had a day off the other day so I walked past this place down to Hebden Bridge and back. About 20 miles, but worth every step. Beautiful.

Peter

I had a day off the other day so I walked past this place down to Hebden Bridge and back. About 20 miles, but worth every step. Beautiful.

Peter

I like that....so green...but no trees around?

A compare and contrast with a recreation area near to me.
Pictures from last years rainy season and current.

some trivia here...this bridge was in the film "XXX" with Vin Diesel...he jumps his car off of it.

interesting facts, the Foresthill Bridge.
The Highest in California.
The 3rd highest in the USA!
The 9th highest bridge in the WORLD.

Top 10 Highest Bridges

(Measured from the road to the surface beneath the road)

1. Royal Gorge, Colorado U.S.A. 950 feet
2. Beipanjiang River Railway, Liupanshui, China 918 feet
3. Millau Viaduct, France 900 feet
4. New River Gorge, WV, U.S.A. 876 feet
5. Jiangjiehe River, Weng'an Co., China 863 feet
6. Italia Viaduct, Laino Borgo, Italy 843 feet
7. Sfalassa Gorge, Bagnara Calabra, Italy 820 feet
8. (Unknown Arch), Andes Mountains, Colombia 750 feet
9. Foresthill, Auburn, CA U.S.A. 730 feet
10. Platano Viaduct, Romagnano al Monte, Italy 722 feet high

1.jpg

2.jpg

I Want to BASE jump that bridge so bad i can taste the bile in my stomach as i get butterflies just looking at it and the possibilities that can come from that jump.

BR

The Humber Bridge, the second longest single span suspension bridge in the world and the most expensive toll in the U.K.

I Want to BASE jump that bridge so bad i can taste the bile in my stomach as i get butterflies just looking at it and the possibilities that can come from that jump.

BR

The bridge is supposedly open one day per year for activities such as that. That is the rumor, but I have never witnessed it. Any other time, if they catch you, it's the gray bar hotel.

One activity that goes on year round though, and mostly only late at night is the dropping of various items off the bridge to the rocks below. Items such as shopping carts, televisions, computer monitors, and bowling balls are all on the ground below. Any time I walk the trail below, I check out above to make sure no one is ready to drop.

The most important thing in my town:

The Menin Gate (if you don't know for what it stands, you should look it up, especially with the 11th of November coming up)

menin%20gate.jpg

Menin%20Gate.jpg

and from the other side:

menin-traffic.jpg

gate1.jpg

Right, enough picture from that gate I guess?

And this is in the middle of the town (10min. walk from where I live)

ieperhal.jpg

It's great to pass their when it's dark:

ieper.nachtfoto.lakenhallen.JPG

And we even have a fountain! ;)

2004vh_226_14.JPG

Went past that many years ago doing the Pennine Way! We fell in love with the area and ended up moving to Hebden Bridge....
I love the moors....

Cheers for posting the pic

Haworth3b.jpg

Peter

Back
Top Bottom