Pick your favourite track from each of The Smiths 4 studio albums

But why on earth leave out two of their best albums, which were also recorded in studios: Hatful and Louder. Was Hatful any less of a studio album than The Smiths?

Agree with what IR says above...... plus, don't forget 'The World Wont Listen too':thumb:
Louder Than Bombs was an import only in the UK - in the US it served as a mop up of both HOH and TWWL.

Jukebox Jury

The Smiths - "Still Ill"
Meat is Murder - "Rusholme Ruffians"
The Queen is Dead - "There is a Light That Never Goes Out"
Strangeways, Here We Come - "I Won't Share You"

The Smiths - This Charming Man
Meat is Murder - Barbarism Begins at Home
The Queen is Dead - The Queen is Dead / There is a light
Strangeways - Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me

Changes on a weekly basis though

Still Ill
What She Said
There is a Light That Never Goes Out
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me

V hard to choose, especially Meat Is Murder

Reel Around The Fountain/ Still Ill...Just can't decide between those two
Well I Wonder
I Know It's over
I Won't Share You

That was way to difficult

I refuse to accept the non-inclusion of Hatful of Hollow and The World won't listen, whose status as "not real studio albums" is in my opinion absurdly formalistic, so I'm choosing six. :) Though I will concede that the tracks on TWWL that is also on TQID should be considered only for the latter.

Anyway:

The Smiths: Suffer Little Children. Much because of the lyrics - an extraordinarily sensitive and beautiful treatment of such a difficult subject, it highlights not just Morrissey's gifts as a lyric writer but also a certain greatness of humanity. Normally I'd say Still Ill, but for some reason I'm a bit tired of it at the moment.

Hatful of Hollow: This Charming Man. The best song ever made, by anyone, and the perfect expression of their unique blend of melancholy and merriment, musically speaking. And I prefer this version over the several others.

Meat is Murder: Well I Wonder. Always had a soft spot for that, though I've recently and finally developed a fancy for Rusholme Ruffians.

The Queen is Dead: There is a Light That Never Goes Out. I never tire of it.

The World Won't Listen: Ask. Their finest cheerful moment, and a key song.

Strangeways, Here we come: Unhappy Birthday. I know, it's not a great song. But the reason I dislike (relatively speaking) Strangeways is its airiness, its lack of dynamics and forward thrust, and UB is really the only song on it that doesn't have that shortcoming.

cheers

The Smiths - Still Ill

Meat is Murder - Meat is Murder

The Queen is Dead - There is a Light That Never Goes Out

Strangeways, Here We Come - Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me

Hmmmmm
does 'How Soon Is Now' count as being on MIM?:confused:

Jukebox Jury

Because it's on the re-issued CD version, for some reason. I wouldn't count it as a MIM track though.

Only because they were never intended as albums, they are both compilations of singles and live radio sessions.
Hatful is a great compilation of live radio sessions.
Great as it is, it is not a studio album.

Who cares? And anyway, it is not a compilation of live radio sessions, any more than it is a compilation of singles or a compilation of B-sides. It is all of these things, and consequently none of them. It is not a studio album in the sense that the band didn't go into the studio and record all of it with the intention of releasing it as an album, but that is in my opinion an irrelevant formality.

cheers

What Difference Does it Make
Rusholme Ruffians
The Queen is Dead
Paint a Vulgar Picture

This Charming Man is their best ever

OMG - I'm not violently disagreeing with Billy Scissors!

Still Ill
What She Said
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours

The Smiths - "Reel Around The Fountain"
Meat Is Murder - "Rusholme Ruffians"
The Queen Is Dead - "Cemetry Gates"
Strangeways Here We Come - "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before"

The Smiths - Reel Around the Fountain
Meat is Murder - Well I Wonder
The Queen is Dead - The Boy With a Thorn
Strangeways Here We Come - I Won't Share You