Piccadilly Reels & Tapes

mywar

practicing troublemaker
I did some searching to see if this had been discussed already, but couldn't find anything. Sorry if I missed something. But, well... I picked up the 'Revelation' bootleg LP while in the States recently (just posted a FLAC rip of it in the bootlegs-section, for those that might be interested), and I noticed that the back cover has a contact address for the label that released it... Now I'm guessing this is a fake address, as it's 4 Reardon Street E5 4EP, which as far as I can tell doesn't exist (E5 4EP isn't even a valid post code, I think?), and Reardon St has some significance to Morrissey. However the serial/catalog # on the matrix is also intact... I'm not all that knowledgeable on the matter of bootlegs, but I know that it used to be common practice to scratch the matrix # out before shipping off the records, as these provided a means to trace who made them through the pressing plant. Maybe I'm wrong?

Anyway, I guess what I'm wondering is, could this be a (semi-)authorized release? Obviously whoever put it out must be fairly close to Morrissey, or at least know someone who is.

Yeah, I know they don't mean anything per se – it's just a number anyway – what I meant was that, while this may have changed, or vary from pressing plant to pressing plant, I know bootleggers used to scratch out the matrix serial numbers, as these would normally be kept on file by the plant, and thus provide a way to track the makers of an unauthorized release. This was commonplace as late as 6-7 years ago, even with stuff like hardcore/punk bootlegs of totally obscure live/demo material, where the chances of anyone pursuing it were marginal to begin with. Now if I was bootlegging a major artist like Morrissey, I would go out of my way to cover my tracks. But for all I know, the numbers might not be worth anything, that's why I ask.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom