Philly Inquirer review of YOR - 3.5 stars

kissmyshadestoo

Nobody ever looks at me twice
2 mentions this week.....1st is the review and 2nd is he doesn't want to reform The Smiths:
------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/39552187.html?viewAll=y

Morrissey
Years of Refusal
(Attack/Lost Highway ***1/2)

The phrase "you're not getting older - you're getting better," first seen in hair-dye ads, must forever become the property of Morrissey.

The ex-Smith has, since going solo in 1988, become grander and romantic but with a more bitter edge. Powered by growlingly melodramatic vocals and swelling melodies from songwriting guitarists Boz Boorer and Alain Whyte, Morrissey no longer sounds woebegone or precious. The writer and singer manages to be emotional yet muscular.

The bedrock of each Refusal track is a burly tune onto which Moz pastes his flamboyant brand of self-undermining assertiveness. No one but he could get away with floridly singing about how well he's doing - before snarling through a litany of drugs for depression on "Something Is Squeezing My Skull." Or killing off devotees with no regret ("The Last Time I Saw Carol"). Or poking fun at aging heroism ("You Were Good in Your Time").

The crooner bites his tongue as he spews his most venomous love songs - the angriest being "It's Not Your Birthday" with its sexuality, now tender, now treacherous. Bigmouth strikes again, harder than ever.

- A.D. Amorosi

------------------------------------------------------
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/magazine/39544007.html

Morrissey: No way back home
Oscar Wilde's spiritual heir Morrissey says it's futile to ask him to eschew the future in favor of a temporal phase that is no more. In other words, the 49-year-old singer says he will never get back together with his '80s outfit, The Smiths, since he's "not stuck in the past."

M. tells BBC Radio 2, "People always ask me about reunions, and I can't imagine why. It baffles me."

Back
Top Bottom