Phil Collins calls it quits

The Seeker of Good Songs

Penciling in Phil Collins as your potential headliner for Austin City Limits? No? Well, probably a good thing. The 60-year-old legend has decided to call it a day. As The Telegraph reports, Collins’ time behind the kit continues to threaten his health, as he’s experiencing “hearing problems, a dislocated vertebrae, and nerve damage in his hands.” Given today’s market, Collins feels it’s not worth the risk.
“I don’t think anyone’s going to miss me,” Collins tells FHM Magazine, continuing, “I look at the MTV Music Awards and I think: ‘I can’t be in the same business as this.’ I don’t really belong to that world and I don’t think anyone’s going to miss me. I’m much happier just to write myself out of the script entirely.”
The English songwriter, who now lives in Switzerland, digressed further, adding, “It’s hardly surprising that people grew to hate me. I’m sorry that it was all so successful. I honestly didn’t mean it to happen like that.” Apparently he hasn’t listened to Kanye West’s fourth studio record. It’s safe to say he’s still incredibly influential. Fun fact: In 2008, Collins ranked #22 on Billboard’s “Hot 100 Top All-Time Artists”. Bottom line? No apologies necessary, Mr. Collins. None at all.
It’s been a tough past couple of years for the former Genesis drummer. In September 2009, it was reported that Collins would have to retire from drumming, due to the aforementioned dislocated vertebrae. However, in an attempt to fight back, Collins returned healthy and strong in 2010, and with a roots-driven record, Going Back, which saw the acclaimed musician revisit several 60′s Motown classics. He performed a brief series of shows last year, including a highly acclaimed New York gig, in which Rolling Stone’s Andy Greene reported: “It’s very hard not to come off like a glorified wedding band when you play a two-hour concert comprised entirely of Motown and soul covers, but last night in New York, Phil Collins pulled it off.”
For fans of Collins, today’s news will go down pretty hard. But hey, if Collins feels he’s playing against all odds, then perhaps it’s time to get out before he’s in too deep. At the end of the day, you can’t argue with your own mantras, right?

from: http://consequenceofsound.net/2011/03/phil-collins-calls-it-quits/

Who would have suspected such wisdom and self-insight from Phil Collins, of all people? May he have a long, happy and prosperous retirement.

Back
Top Bottom