Peter Hook & The Light - Review of live show 8/16/22

terrancestamp

Went to see this artist against my better judgement (he has slagged off Morrissey loads of times in the past). I am a casual Joy Division fan and bought the "Substance" vinyl when it came out at Turtles (anyone remember that place?). Liked some of the songs, but Ian's beyond sad voice was not really my cup of tea. I should have been more aware of the evenings preceding's, but I was not. He played a mini New Order set to start the show and that was great. After the set he went off stage and came back and did the first Joy Division album in its entirety (Unknown Pleasure). I think I was aware of maybe four tracks off that album. The rest were songs I have not heard in decades or never. After another short break he came back again and did the second album in its entirety (Closer). I was even less familiar with that album. The fourth and final short set comprised of a mix of New Order and Joy Division greatest hits. The middle two sets were difficult to sit though (and thank goodness I was sitting). Not even the crowd cared much about the full albums being played. They got excited for a couple of songs off each album. The concert went over 2.5 hours! Like I said I am glad I was sitting down! If these two albums were "The Joshua Tree" or "The Queen Is Dead" the album cuts would have been amazing and stand alone. These two JD albums do not contain those type of songs. I will have to say I have probably seen close to 500+ shows in my lifetime and I have never seen someone so into themselves on stage. He spoke like three words at the start of each set. Played his base across the stage like he was the bass GOD! At the end of the show, he pulled off his shirt and threw it into the crowd. It was all very Morrisseyesq for me. I think it confirmed a notion that I have long held, that the negativity toward Morrissey was really just vailed jealousy. In closing if you are a casual fan of JD like me, you might want to stay away. If you love every track JD ever did then make sure you are there!

P.S. Waited for Peter after the show (along with 3 others) and he blew us all off. He even seemed petrified that we would approach him. Don't get me wrong, nobody has to sign and take photos, that does not ruin a show or make him a bad person. I will just say I have a lot more respect for artist that do sign and stop like (Johnny Marr). In my opinion, that shows a mutual respect between the fans and artist.

Last edited:
I've seen him 2 or 3 times in past and thought the shows were great. Perhaps you caught him on an "off" night.

Went to see this artist against my better judgement (he has slagged off Morrissey loads of times in the past). I am a casual Joy Division fan and bought the "Substance" vinyl when it came out at Turtles (anyone remember that place?). Liked some of the songs, but Ian's beyond sad voice was not really my cup of tea. I should have been more aware of the evenings preceding's, but I was not. He played a mini New Order set to start the show and that was great. After the set he went off stage and came back and did the first Joy Division album in its entirety (Unknown Pleasure). I think I was aware of maybe four tracks off that album. The rest were songs I have not heard in decades or never. After another short break he came back again and did the second album in its entirety (Closer). I was even less familiar with that album. The fourth and final short set comprised of a mix of New Order and Joy Division greatest hits. The middle two sets were difficult to sit though (and thank goodness I was sitting). Not even the crowd cared much about the full albums being played. They got excited for a couple of songs off each album. The concert went over 2.5 hours! Like I said I am glad I was sitting down! If these two albums were "The Joshua Tree" or "The Queen Is Dead" the album cuts would have been amazing and stand alone. These two JD albums do not contain those type of songs. I will have to say I have probably seen close to 500+ shows in my lifetime and I have never seen someone so into themselves on stage. He spoke like three words at the start of each set. Played his base across the stage like he was the bass GOD! At the end of the show, he pulled off his shirt and threw it into the crowd. It was all very Morrisseyesq for me. I think it confirmed a notion that I have long held, that the negativity toward Morrissey was really just vailed jealousy. In closing if you are a casual fan of JD like me, you might want to stay away. If you love every track JD ever did then make sure you are there!

P.S. Waited for Peter after the show (along with 3 others) and he blew us all off. He even seemed petrified that we would approach him. Don't get me wrong, nobody has to sign and take photos, that does not ruin a show or make him a bad person. I will just say I have a lot more respect for artist that do sign and stop like (Johnny Marr). In my opinion, that shows a mutual respect between the fans and artist.
Honestly, it doesn’t sound like you’re even a casual fan. You don’t like either of the albums, don’t recognize the songs and seem put off by Ian’s voice and the overall feel of JD. And, since you’re a fan of U2 and/or The Joshua Tree, I’m not surprised.

I love NO, JD and Hooky but I just can't get used to him singing the songs. He does have long shows because he does not have an opening act, or that is what he said in one of the groups I am in with him. He actually is very friendly, probably an off night. I really wish NO would get back together. You can also feel ok about the Moz stuff, Hooky said there was a time they were all so competitive with each other but now he doesn't give a f because he's old :lbf: He did an AMA on Reddit not long ago and he was very funny.
The one he really does not like is Marr because as the story goes, Marr tried to steal him from NO and when he said no, Marr went to Bernard and Hooky told Bernard about it right in front of Marr, and Marr lied to Bernard's face, there's a youtube clip about it.

I love NO, JD and Hooky but I just can't get used to him singing the songs. He does have long shows because he does not have an opening act, or that is what he said in one of the groups I am in with him. He actually is very friendly, probably an off night. I really wish NO would get back together. You can also feel ok about the Moz stuff, Hooky said there was a time they were all so competitive with each other but now he doesn't give a f because he's old :lbf: He did an AMA on Reddit not long ago and he was very funny.
The one he really does not like is Marr because as the story goes, Marr tried to steal him from NO and when he said no, Marr went to Bernard and Hooky told Bernard about it right in front of Marr, and Marr lied to Bernard's face, there's a youtube clip about it.

How do you know Hooky's not the liar? Why do you suppose New Order tossed him out?

I know why he doesn't have an opening band, same reason as Morrissey, so he doesn't have to pay them.

Complete opposite to my own experience(s) with him.

Honestly, it doesn’t sound like you’re even a casual fan. You don’t like either of the albums, don’t recognize the songs and seem put off by Ian’s voice and the overall feel of JD. And, since you’re a fan of U2 and/or The Joshua Tree, I’m not surprised.
Yes, I would have to say a casual fan is aware of the greatest hits. Not the deep tracks on albums. I will have to say I was not alone in my feelings as I mentioned. I was sitting in the balcony observing the audience and they were not into the deep cuts either. I think you might be one of the only people in the world that slags off "The Josuha Tree". Not that it is the greatest of all time, but it is pretty good and better than any Joy Division album.

Complete opposite to my own experience(s) with him.

Same here, he always generally has time for people. The Manchester leg of this tour was recorded Janice and it's being released as a ltd edition triple CD. He still must be raking it in as well, saw him just before he left for the US, in a new black Ferrari with Hooky as the number plate!

Last edited:
Yes, I would have to say a casual fan is aware of the greatest hits. Not the deep tracks on albums. I will have to say I was not alone in my feelings as I mentioned. I was sitting in the balcony observing the audience and they were not into the deep cuts either. I think you might be one of the only people in the world that slags off "The Josuha Tree". Not that it is the greatest of all time, but it is pretty good and better than any Joy Division album.

Everyone will have their own views but on the tour posters and adverts for the shows it does say he is playing Unknown Pleasures and Closer in their entirety.

Maybe if you like bland radio rock. JD’s both albums are true masterpieces of dark, atmospheric postpunk.

Maybe if you like bland radio rock. JD’s both albums are true masterpieces of dark, atmospheric postpunk.

I had an interesting introduction to JD as I sort of saw them twice in a week supporting Buzzcocks. First time In Blackburn I didn't actually watch them but sort of heard them from the bar, in the switchover people were talking about how amazing they were so I did watch them at The Apollo a few days later and was absolutely amazed.

I had an interesting introduction to JD as I sort of saw them twice in a week supporting Buzzcocks. First time In Blackburn I dinnt actually watch them but sort of heard them from the bar, in the switchover people were talking about how amazing they were so I did watch them at The Apollo a few days later and was absolutely amazed.
I don’t think you can fathom the amount of envy I feel right now. They were only around for a few short years and were instantly turned into this mythological entity. I know a fair amount of people saw them live, but still. It seems like a secret world that only a few people had access to for a very limited time.

It's ok to go to a show if you are not an expert on the material or even if you don't know the band at all. I was once taken to a show of a band I had never heard of, turned out to be The Alarm and one of my favorite shows ever. The first time I saw New Order, they were terrible, I left. Big Audio Dynamite was a huge disappointment too, The Replacements were too drunk to stand up. People do have bad concert experiences and it's ok to say so. Also, you are allowed to prefer U2 over JD. Everyone loves Joshua Tree whether they admit it or not, even if they are like me and see it as the sell out point for U2. Bono is a huge JD fan.

Same here, he always generally has time for people. The Manchester leg of this tour was recorded Janice and it's being released as a ltd edition triple CD. He still must be raking it in as well, saw him just before he left for the US, in a new black Ferrari with Hooky as the number plate!

In his new Black Ferrari?? Thank you for proving my point even more. The name plate to boot. Hahahaha

Everyone will have their own views but on the tour posters and adverts for the shows it does say he is playing Unknown Pleasures and Closer in their entirety.
I wish we had those lovely tour posters here in America. We have silly billboards, and that show would never be highlighted on a billboard. I think that's why Morrissey loves billboards so much. Only artist playing important/large venues get those. As I said in the article, I should have paid more attention...but then again it was a last minute thing and I just turned up at the venue.

It's ok to go to a show if you are not an expert on the material or even if you don't know the band at all. I was once taken to a show of a band I had never heard of, turned out to be The Alarm and one of my favorite shows ever. The first time I saw New Order, they were terrible, I left. Big Audio Dynamite was a huge disappointment too, The Replacements were too drunk to stand up. People do have bad concert experiences and it's ok to say so. Also, you are allowed to prefer U2 over JD. Everyone loves Joshua Tree whether they admit it or not, even if they are like me and see it as the sell out point for U2. Bono is a huge JD fan.

Hope you enjoy Peters gig tonight.

After reading all the stuff here, I decided to but a ticket for thé Peter Hook and the Light show in my town (Brussels). Just came home from a thoroughly enjoy able night. What a nice way to pay tribute to a fantastic band.

Reminds me that I need to get a vinyl copy of Unknown Pleasures... the production is so stunning on it.
It’s out of this world!

Back
Top Bottom