Peter Hook: "I am an object of hate on the Morrissey fan club site"

Peter Hook on "Morrissey"-Q&A-Substance: Inside New Order-book tour-JCCSF-Feb 4, 2017-Joy Division - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahaha the millennials are absolutely mad that they were not there and were brought up in a time when music was shite and had no meaning at all.

By the same token, boomers are absolutely mad that they don't understand where or how interesting music is distributed today, and think what plays on the FM radio in their car is the sum total of musical innovation happening today.

'I don't believe Moz has written good lyrics since Life Is A Pigsty, so he's not exactly faultless either.'

Compared to whom? himself? You mentioned Weller.
For example... 'Kiss me a lot' may have more meaning than 'Hand in glove' to someone who is not you or I. So in the end, it's subjective really. I mean, I wouldn't bring any of the records you mentioned on a car trip with me, could be fatal ! ;)
It is subjective for sure. I was comparing Moz to himself. Haha those cds were not too bad. Anything to break the monotony of the long motorway. Glad I didn't play the 'Mad Max: Fury Road' soundtrack as I probably wouldn't have stopped for the toll booth. :squiffy:

Just my small observation: to enjoy music an artist creates we normally superimpose it over our own contextual or sexual framework - it doesn't normally work the other way round.
In other words, I listen to a wealth of music and I'm certain the singers & writers are all shades of everything on the sexual 'spectrum' - never once has it really affected my enjoyment of the music. I can't see how knowing what gives someone else an orgasm would ever effect my brain taking someone's words and making them applicable to myself.
So does any 'truth' ever matter in the end?
Regards,
FWD.

This thread is yet more evidence that music is truly dead and buried. I cannot for the life of me get how people in 2017 can discuss music at all. That thing called music is over and was replaced by what some call music but it is of course not music. You can instead call them items of commerce.

It is used to sell and promote various commercial products but also lifestyle items and values. Hooky and JD and NO are dead without knowing it but at the graveyard they have a lot of friends.

The era when music meant something was a nice time to live and I feel so sorry for the kids these days struggling to make any sense of the time they live in. Now is not the time to be a kid and focus on childish things like music and concerts. The time we live in is all about becoming someone and copy your parents as much as you can.

There is no alternative lifestyle for the losers who cannot make it and I am glad I am not in that competition but it sure is fun to watch the competitors weep on their way home as they move like zombies through the store to buy something to eat before it is time to weep again so that they can finally fall asleep again.

By the same token, boomers are absolutely mad that they don't understand where or how interesting music is distributed today, and think what plays on the FM radio in their car is the sum total of musical innovation happening today.

Desperate comment based on feelings and not facts. You talk about genres in music that is just radio music no one gives a toss about.

But please list that music and I will review it.

I think you confuse music in general with music that had a message and an underlying communication with the fans and that is completely gone now.

This thread itself is proof that people discuss the great music of the past rather than the current music cause the current music doesn't move people and make them come up with arguments. It is simply not music worth talking about.

Music used to be cool nowadays it is just the work of some fool.

Just my small observation: to enjoy music an artist creates we normally superimpose it over our own contextual or sexual framework - it doesn't normally work the other way round.
In other words, I listen to a wealth of music and I'm certain the singers & writers are all shades of everything on the sexual 'spectrum' - never once has it really affected my enjoyment of the music. I can't see how knowing what gives someone else an orgasm would ever effect my brain taking someone's words and making them applicable to myself.
So does any 'truth' ever matter in the end?
Regards,
FWD.

I believe everyone has the right to invent and define themselves in any way they want. But some people just can't let people be what they are, these people want to tell other people what they are based on their assumptions of what they think the other person is. Just let people be what they are and move on.

'I don't believe Moz has written good lyrics since Life Is A Pigsty, so he's not exactly faultless either.'

Compared to whom? himself? You mentioned Weller.
For example... 'Kiss me a lot' may have more meaning than 'Hand in glove' to someone who is not you or I. So in the end, it's subjective really. I mean, I wouldn't bring any of the records you mentioned on a car trip with me, could be fatal ! ;)
Ditts

What does that mean? :squiffy:
Is it shorthand for ditto? But it can't be, there are the same amount of characters! It must be something American.
And it's a very short post anyway Scanty, for you. :o
I hope you are okay?! :eek:

"Popular music" has always been a product. The funny thing is people believe it's some kind of a lifestyle movement until they get to a certain age. Then they realize that the new music is a product but they still think that the music they grew up with was like genuine, man! Like we wanted to change the world man. We were all brothers and sisters!
Popular music began in the 1920's when advances in technology and manufacturing made it possible for "the common people" to own a radio and sometimes even a record player. Before that you had to be a lot wealthier to own a record player. The music available was classical and opera. Someone named Caruso was a superstar. But "common people" were not interested in that. So RCA sent a man out with a recording machine and recorded hillbillies and blues singers that only had one string on their guitar and it was a piece of barbed wire they had to repurpose.
Finally there was music that the common people could relate to. But the people that got rich off of it were the same types of people that are getting rich off of music today. A few artists got their egos stroked and were given fur coats and Cadillacs, just like today.
The best thing about the Sex Pistols is that they never tried to act like they were really starting a revolution. that's sort of another story for a different time but as the philosopher David Lee Roth once said "There are two words in 'music business.' "

"Popular music" has always been a product. The funny thing is people believe it's some kind of a lifestyle movement until they get to a certain age. Then they realize that the new music is a product but they still think that the music they grew up with was like genuine, man! Like we wanted to change the world man. We were all brothers and sisters!
Popular music began in the 1920's when advances in technology and manufacturing made it possible for "the common people" to own a radio and sometimes even a record player. Before that you had to be a lot wealthier to own a record player. The music available was classical and opera. Someone named Caruso was a superstar. But "common people" were not interested in that. So RCA sent a man out with a recording machine and recorded hillbillies and blues singers that only had one string on their guitar and it was a piece of barbed wire they had to repurpose.
Finally there was music that the common people could relate to. But the people that got rich off of it were the same types of people that are getting rich off of music today. A few artists got their egos stroked and were given fur coats and Cadillacs, just like today.
The best thing about the Sex Pistols is that they never tried to act like they were really starting a revolution. that's sort of another story for a different time but as the philosopher David Lee Roth once said "There are two words in 'music business.' "

You are right in many ways and it only has the meaning you turn it into. I have said this before, never bother with music and never have an idol and instead focus on yourself and your life cause it goes so fast.

Indie fans never took it as serious as the hippies you talk about cause that was just too much. Indie was a music scene for white kids when it was ok to be white unlike now.

Gold dust days when you drowned in music that was heavenly and I was lucky to be the right age and able to travel. Nowadays there is no reason to travel cause there is nothing to experience but dull places with crap music and boring people who spend their lives hating cause they feel violated when they only have themselves to blame.

Cut your hair and get a job losers and if you don't wanna work then don't expect to live the life of others and have what they have.

Simples!

I still have the same websites as back then, indie labels and NME and the same sources that has been around for ages.

Please get some real arguments before slapping the paws all over the keyboard.

Singer/songwriters killed music off and everyone ended up plugging their ears with hearing protection. Tell us when the cats are done for the night.

Peter Hook is very brave. It's very difficult for a person to confess what he suffered, especially being a man.

Just read the entire topic..... He should think himself lucky hes not a certain other famous musician / singer, who was subject 2 a monsterous witch hunt and ALMOST destroyed on this site !

And we all know who that was !

This topic is like a teddy bears picnic, in comparison !

The witch trails , werebye the ignorance and fear of people WRONGLY accusing vulnerable people of being witches and of dabbling in dark arts of witchcraft and so crucified and hung thousands of COMPLTEY INNOCENT men, women and children by there knecks 2 die !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! !!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

The past history of humans hey ? some of it unspeakable, the holacaust ect, we forgive of course, but never forget !

Thankfully those days are mostly in the past and we now live in the present and look forward 2 a completly tolerable, peacefull, compassionate and all loving earth, well thats our destiny in the future !

Will get there in the end! :)

Music or the sound of it changes as technology or the tools to produce those sounds change. So it's not so much a question of what's music and what's not music as defined by different generations, but a large part of individual or generational judgement comes down to taste, not to the tongue, but to the ear, and what the ear was raised on. Kind of like craving a food you ate when you were younger even though you know it's not healthy for you, kind of. Your ear knows what music is good for you even if the music is bad, or bad to others.

'instead of taking him seriously with his made up words.'

Aren't all words... 'made up' ?

Generally, Morrissey speaks English and the words he uses can be found in a dictionary but for this one aspect of his life he uses a word that he has invented. Of course all language is an invention but he didn't invent his own language. It's not like he speaks a dialect of Klingon. So, no, I don't take this word seriously.
And I wouldn't care if he hadn't, how does Brummie Boy say it... "co-opted queer culture for commercial purposes" (Forgive me BB, I might not have the quote exactly correct),

This thread is yet more evidence that music is truly dead and buried. I cannot for the life of me get how people in 2017 can discuss music at all. That thing called music is over and was replaced by what some call music but it is of course not music. You can instead call them items of commerce.

It is used to sell and promote various commercial products but also lifestyle items and values. Hooky and JD and NO are dead without knowing it but at the graveyard they have a lot of friends.

The era when music meant something was a nice time to live and I feel so sorry for the kids these days struggling to make any sense of the time they live in. Now is not the time to be a kid and focus on childish things like music and concerts. The time we live in is all about becoming someone and copy your parents as much as you can.

There is no alternative lifestyle for the losers who cannot make it and I am glad I am not in that competition but it sure is fun to watch the competitors weep on their way home as they move like zombies through the store to buy something to eat before it is time to weep again so that they can finally fall asleep again.

What the f*** are you going on about? Have you ever heard of a band called The National, musics not dead, perhaps you are and don't realise it?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom