PET SHOP BOYS 'YES' - Anticipation/Discussion thread

The new Pet Shop Boys album, produced by Xenomania, featuring 11 new songs, including the single "Love etc."

Released March 23rd.

This completes my three most anticipated albums of 2009...

I used to love PSB, but they've become pretentious wankers recently - that picture of Neil Tennant in a Union Jack bowler hat says it all.

They have nothing new to say. Time for them to go.

I used to love PSB, but they've become pretentious wankers recently - that picture of Neil Tennant in a Union Jack bowler hat says it all.

What does it say ? (Kiss Me Quick ?) :confused:

PSB have always been pretentious in a good way.

The Pet Shop Boys got me into music: I used to collect and really liked their songs thanks to a great melody and a sense in their lyrics. They were cool. I think they were at their best in the 80's until mid 90's than they changed into something which is not my cup of tea anymore. The new single Love ets. says nothing to me like most tracks on their last album. And all these mixes,remixes and so on ....I still listen to their best hits at times.
Cheers Moz

I love Fundamental. I hope Yes is different, but of the same quality.

I am still hoping for a remastered Behavior.

thank you Dizzy!

Listening for the first time. Have to listen more but I'm enjoying it.

there is a scan and part of the translation of the PSB spex interview (march 2009)in
this PSB fan forum:http://www.tennant-lowe.com/viewtopic.php?t=7834&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
starting at page 3 and thern the translation is going onwards
its very long(6pages),so it might be not all translated by now
http://www.tennant-lowe.com/viewtopic.php?t=7834&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
but as always neil is very articulate
the scans of the german orginal is also in there
Im not a fan but i like them:)

i like the reinvent bit..makes me think of morrissey who does speak out against an artist "re-invent" themself in terms of madonna in his spex interview
Spex: Do Pet Shop Boys know something like the impulse to reinvent themselves with each new album?

Neil: Sure you can evolve over the years as an artist; you can try out new things and extent your knowledge. Pet Shop Boys changed over the last 25 years and have reflected their surroundings. But I’m convinced that you stay the same person all your life. We would never come up with the idea to record a country album in Nashville and then dare to claim that we had totally reinvented ourselves in the face of superficial formalities. I am convinced that the continuity, which is founded in the personality of each human being, in the end outshines all superficiality. That why I’m also saying: a real artist defines itself by his voice. I mean ‘voice’ not in the literal sense here, not in the sense of ‘singing’. I’m for instance thinking of Bob Dylan: he has delivered very thought through lyrics throughout his entire career; you really can’t take that away from him. Pet Shop Boys have only once reinvented themselves taking a ‘pop’ point of view, when they came back at the beginning of the ‘90s with pointy hats and the album Very. It wasn’t a musical reinvention, though, only a visual. We are still possessed by the ambition to make good pop music – this is our driving force.

Last edited:
The 'leaked' teaser CD: http://www.sendspace.com/file/n914sk

Six full tracks from the new album.

Love, Etc
Did You See Me Coming?
Vulnerable
More Than A Dream
Pandemonium
The Way It Used to Be

Far more 'pop' even for the Pet Shop Boys. I like it.

Thank you! Love it, especially 'Vulnerable'. (and yes, I will buy the cd when it is released!)

Which songs does Mr.Marr play on?

Here is a track by track review (stolen from another board - http://prince.org/ to be exact) .

Oh... and they mention sister I'm a poet :D :guitar:

A track by track review.

1. "Love etc.": The lead single finds Neil Tennant chidingly waving a finger atop a shuffle beat, declaring you "don't have to live a life of power and wealth" in this time of global economic collapse to be happy; "You need love." The bellowing male chorus is quite reminiscent of "Go West" and "New York City Boy." (Andy posted the animated video clip for "Love etc." a few weeks back.)

2. "All Over The World": Make no mistake, the Pet Shop Boys have pulled out every last stop to craft shameless pop this time around—and here's it's done with a Tchaikovsky "Nutcracker Suite" sample married to swaggering electo beat! "This is a song about boys and girls," Tennant simply states over and over in this addictive number. And much like Paul McCartney once proudly crooned that some people wanna fill the world with silly love songs, Neil gives more than a knowing wink and nod to the PSBs pop roots by singing, "It's sincere and subjective, superficial and true, easy and predictable, exciting and new..."

PSBmain 3. "Beautiful People": The first of two downbeat offerings on Yes. Like on Behavior and Release, Johnny Marr once again lends his crafty guitar work to Neil and Chris. A twangy '60s/surf rock-sounding ballad (which also finds Marr playing harmonica!), "Beautiful People" is more of a showcase for the onetime Smiths and Electronic guitarist than a Pet Shop Boys song. Actually, this would've sounded right at home on Release. Still, it gets under your skin by about the fourth listen.

4. "Did You See Me Coming?": Just like to state that much has been made in the past about the duo's double-entendre song titles, such as "So Hard" and "Love Comes Quickly." But moving on, we're back in sunny, skipping-down-the-street-in-springtime pop territory here. In lesser hands, this one might be considered throwaway, but the Pet Shop Boys have always been adept at wrapping their confections with enough simplistic complexity to keep things interesting. It's the "Heart" of this album. Also, the music geek in me wants to point out the similarity of the opening guitar riff to that in Morrissey's "Sister I'm A Poet." (Nice one, Johnny Marr.)

5. "Vulnerable": Sweet, but undeniable album filler. And the chorus is repeated far too many times, eventually becoming a bit tiresome. Interestingly, one thing notable about Yes is that a number of the choruses are curiously introduced right at the beginning of the songs.

6. "More Than A Dream": A real gem that opens with dark, squiggly synths and a disco swagger. Now living in the Obama era, one can't help but notice the poignant lyrics: "Could be better news we can share, something's coming soon, I hear it everywhere." For the chorus, Neil jumps into a Bee Gees-esque falsetto ("I believe we can change, we can make it more than a dream"). A great centerpiece for an album that, at this point, is shaping up to be pretty damn good.

7. "Building A Wall": Chris Lowe sings! Well, okay, he and Neil kind of banter back and forth in the intro and breaks between verses. Good album filler that's a bit of a history lesson, lyrically. Plus, it strangely manages to call out Jesus and The Man From U.N.C.L.E. in the same line.

8. "King Of Rome": A lush, beautiful ballad swathed in Chris Lowe's trademark synth chords. Highly reminiscent of both Behavior's "To Face The Truth" and "It's Only The Wind," and Very's "To Speak Is A Sin" in melodic tone.

9. "Pandemonium": Like Stock/Aitken/Waterman having a perfect head-on musical collision with Motown; in other words, my hands-down favorite on the album! "Pandemonium" is in a similar vein to Very's "I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing," in that it's an upbeat, unabashed love song. "The whole world's gone mad, what did you do? I'm telling perfect strangers that I love you!" Tennant proclaims. Also, in sneaks Johnny Marr's harmonica once again.

10: "The Way It Used To Be": Another standout track, and a complete 180-degree turn from "Pandemonium." This haunting tale of love lost builds at a layered, steady pace until, at almost three minutes in, Neil Tennant snaps into an accusatory rant, spitting out, "Then and there I knew that I lost you." Absolutely compelling, and should please fans who like their Pet Shop Boys dark and moody.

11. "Legacy": The second of the downbeat numbers, which clocks in at over six minutes. At one point long into this plodding political ballad, Neil bursts into French while circus music begins playing. Hot. Ah, well, maybe it's a grower. All in all, an irresistible album which we kind of always suspected the Boys still had in them. If you're a fan, you may be disinclined to be disinterested.

Behaviour has been remastered twice. First time in 2001 and second time in 2009. Just bought the 2009 copy :)

Yes, I see that I can order the 2001 version via amazon, but the 2009 version doesn't appear to be available in the US. Neither of these are available through ITunes, which has unfortunately become my music store of choice and convenience.

there is a scan and part of the translation of the PSB spex interview (march 2009)in
this PSB fan forum:http://www.tennant-lowe.com/viewtopic.php?t=7834&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
starting at page 3 and thern the translation is going onwards
its very long(5pages),so it might be not all translated by now
http://www.tennant-lowe.com/viewtopic.php?t=7834&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
but as always neil is very articulate
the scans of the german orginal is also in there
Im not a fan but i like them:)

i like the reinvent bit..makes me think of morrissey who does speak out against an artist "re-invent" themself in terms of madonna in his spex interview

20r9on7.gif
:clap: thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I see that I can order the 2001 version via amazon, but the 2009 version doesn't appear to be available in the US. Neither of these are available through ITunes, which has unfortunately become my music store of choice and convenience.

I'm not actually sure if there is any difference between the two. I think the 2009 edition is the same as the 2001, but many of their albums were re-released to support their Brit Award. I could be wrong though, but I wouldn't stress out about it :)

Also, am VERY excited after reading justme's review :D

Back
Top Bottom