Perth, Scotland - Perth Concert Hall (June 15, 2011) post-show

Update June 16, 4:55pm PT:

Links to reviews from an anonymous person:

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in. Beware of anonymous set list trolls!

Set List:

The Boy Racer / I Want The One I Can't Have / Everyday Is Like Sunday / There Is A Light That Never Goes Out / First Of The Gang To Die / Irish Blood, English Heart / Shoplifters Of The World Unite / You Have Killed Me / Speedway / Alma Matters / Action Is My Middle Name / The Kid's A Looker / People Are The Same Everywhere / I Know It's Over / Satellite Of Love / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Meat is Murder // One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell

set list provided by mbb321

Last edited:
I was unsure about whether to buy a ticket for any of the Scottish gigs (given the fact that he hasn't made a decent album since 1997 and he seems to be getting progressively worse at songwriting) and ultimately I decided against.

Having now heard what they recorded for Janice Long, I feel vindicated.

Go me.

Hilarious.

Guess you'll be staying home with your Rihanna CD then, sweetheart? Me, I'll be at York, Bradford, Grimsby, Leeds and Dublin x 2, enjoying all those post 97 tracks - especially First Of The Gang To Die which is easily on a par with There is A Light... You'll only be going to those gigs featuring setlists comprised exclusively of pre-97 songs then?

Thanks to so many people in Perth, the epitome of nestledness, for warm friendliness, including the auditorium ushers. They kept the menu vegetarian there, which has been picked up by various publications e.g.

http://www.thescottishfarmer.co.uk/news/this-weeks-news/this-farming-man-1.1107081

The first song of the evening, BoyRacers, is up on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFaZEZ95TvQ . The set-list went down a dream. The band never missed a note or nuance, and kept the lush harmonies and vigorous rhythm going till the encore. Except for a maybe accidental spray or two of beer in the audience, there was no trouble or no crazy crushing, but some major singing along, dancing and some chanting. Morrissey said very little and didn't throw a shirt. I liked the last sparkly see-through black one!

After a comment about more/too much 'filth', he sang the three new songs beginning with Action is My Middle Name. It has a nice lilt to it. I heard them on Janice Long's show with the clock radio turned down as low as possible in my tiny B&B room, anxious about waking others up and half-anticipating a knock on the door. As a teenager, I skipped the pirate radio sessions under the bed-clothes so this gave me a nice taste of what I'd been deprived of! I nearly gave the game away with an involuntary laugh at the line 'can I interest you in hours of fun?!' Janice was unashamedly excited about it all. The Kid's A Looker has a macabre cabaret style that's deadly amusing. Which reminds me, the opening act, Flats: most interesting and practised if highly unlikely to end up on XFactor any time soon. People Are The Same Everywhere is his 'on the other hand' to his 'on the one hand' of Action... The cover, Satellite of Love, was beautiful, but of course he changed the words 'I hate(instead of like) to watch things on TV...'!!

About half the introductory clips were the same as before. Of new ones, we guessed a very old, different clip of Vince Taylor; a short interview with Edith Sitwell??; a snippet of self-deprecating humour by a drag queen, and that tantalisingly obscure monologue about the one who was a great one who was stubborn and suffered and so on. Anyone get that yet?

So, as a friend put it, the Morrissey rollarcoaster is definitely up and running again, better than ever. We can only be grateful that the creator stumbled and stalled because, "in a world of illusion that's covering your mind", he is the lightning rod making the difference. :cool::guitar:

Great review spot on :thumb: The haters on here are pathetic. Morrissey was top drawer as usual. It was a great concert and I enjoyed every minute. Thank you Morrissey!
A lot of the hate seems to stem from people who sound like they took a gamble on a Morrissey concert hoping to look "cool" but Morrissey didn't talk to them or sing their favourite tune or thank them for travelling all the way from far flung places like Glasgow??!!?? Dry your eyes haters :tears: and go back to watching the X-Factor.

A set list that includes Meat is Murder, Shoplifters, There Is A Light, I Know It's Over, Everyday Is Like Sunday, Speedway, First Of The Gang To Die and Ouija Board, and STILL people are whining about the choice of songs. Un-f***ing-believable. If he'd chosen to play 19 obscurities instead, you'd be still be moaning about the lack of solo classics and Smiths tracks.

As Chas'n'Dave succinctly put it: there ain't no pleasing you.

If you weren't there, then do us all a favour and shut up until you've actually experienced this lacklustre show with its poor choice of songs; then by all means tell us about it from first-hand experience; nobody is interested in endless bitter conjecture from your lonely bedrooms.

Thanks to so many people in Perth, the epitome of nestledness, for warm friendliness, including the auditorium ushers. They kept the menu vegetarian there, which has been picked up by various publications e.g.

http://www.thescottishfarmer.co.uk/news/this-weeks-news/this-farming-man-1.1107081

The first song of the evening, BoyRacers, is up on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFaZEZ95TvQ . The set-list went down a dream. The band never missed a note or nuance, and kept the lush harmonies and vigorous rhythm going till the encore. Except for a maybe accidental spray or two of beer in the audience, there was no trouble or no crazy crushing, but some major singing along, dancing and some chanting. Morrissey said very little and didn't throw a shirt. I liked the last sparkly see-through black one!

After a comment about more/too much 'filth', he sang the three new songs beginning with Action is My Middle Name. It has a nice lilt to it. I heard them on Janice Long's show with the clock radio turned down as low as possible in my tiny B&B room, anxious about waking others up and half-anticipating a knock on the door. As a teenager, I skipped the pirate radio sessions under the bed-clothes so this gave me a nice taste of what I'd been deprived of! I nearly gave the game away with an involuntary laugh at the line 'can I interest you in hours of fun?!' Janice was unashamedly excited about it all. The Kid's A Looker has a macabre cabaret style that's deadly amusing. Which reminds me, the opening act, Flats: most interesting and practised if highly unlikely to end up on XFactor any time soon. People Are The Same Everywhere is his 'on the other hand' to his 'on the one hand' of Action... The cover, Satellite of Love, was beautiful, but of course he changed the words 'I hate(instead of like) to watch things on TV...'!!

About half the introductory clips were the same as before. Of new ones, we guessed a very old, different clip of Vince Taylor; a short interview with Edith Sitwell??; a snippet of self-deprecating humour by a drag queen, and that tantalisingly obscure monologue about the one who was a great one who was stubborn and suffered and so on. Anyone get that yet?

So, as a friend put it, the Morrissey rollarcoaster is definitely up and running again, better than ever. We can only be grateful that the creator stumbled and stalled because, "in a world of illusion that's covering your mind", he is the lightning rod making the difference. :cool::guitar:

Thanks a million, as ever, goinghome. I need read no more, and can rest assured.
Welcome to Scotland and safe travels. May the road rise up to meet you, etcetera.

Nice review. Thank you. :flowers:

I'm not super impressed by the new songs from the Janice Long show, and I could do without another round of FOTGTD and IBEH, but that looks like a pretty exciting setlist otherwise.

Is anyone going to post him singing "Satellite of Love?' I would love to hear it.

It is very difficult to believe that people really use journalist articles as proof that the concert was great. So media educated that they do not know that an article like this is just the observation and opinion of one person, the journalist, who did not even pay to be there but is paid for writing the article? I am also not really interested in what Morrisey's friends have to say who always get in through the guest list. I rather want to hear what people who paid money have to say about the concert.

Where is Fergus? Is he off for a sex orgy with Alice or something?

I travelled up with the wife from Glasgow for the Perth show and as much as i've been a fan of both The Smiths and Morrissey for a number of years, this was the first time i'd seen him Live!

The venue was decent, crowd were a good mixture of age, set list was excellent and over all, enjoyed the gig. To pick up from what a number of others have already posted, I too thought it started well, and the crowd reacted well to the individual songs. The 3 new songs back to back was a bit ill advised I felt. I don't think Moz got the reaction he wanted from the crowd and from that point it wet a wee bit flat. May have been better received if they were played at different stages in the set.

The 'Meat Is Murder' track also flattened it a bit and got a muted applause. I thought the band raced through the set as if they were on a strict time limit, not sure if that was the case (possible venue restrictions??) but felt Moz did engage with the audience. He thanked them at the end of most tracks but did think he took the huff after the shirt and pint (?) were thrown on stage near the end. Never understood that, but each to their own, you pay your money and all that.

Highlights for me were 'Alma Matters', 'There Is A Light', and all the tracks from 'You Are The Quarry'! His black see-through shiny shirt for the encore was a shocker, and thought he might have played more than the 1 hour 15 minutes that we got. Still, I hope to see him again on tour in the future. :)

i feel that somebody will come up with a perth you tube compilation soon ( fingers crossed) . the set list , with the minor exception of the three session tracks , was excellent . bring on the boro gig .

Dear Morrissey,

It worked, I'm veggie again - well done ;)

Brilliant gig, cannot wait for Dunoon.

Love x

Morissey is a diva right? He is a rude man, fancy not speaking to ur fans who have traveled miles and paid money to see him. I traveled from Glasgow - and it ain't cheap you know? I was expecting a shout-out from Morissey at least...."Hello Peeerth! Rocknroll Yeaaah" or something. But nothing! WTF?
And he needs to change the setlist, I mean no "charming man"?? WTF. He needs to play more hits. Me and my girlfriend were hoping to hear charming man, it is his biggest hit after all. What is the matter with Morissey? And Morissey needs to do something about the ticket prices....I mean 6 quid for service charges! Id pay £40 for some quality band like MUSE once a year but not Morissey. Also his choice of venue is crap....Perth? beyond belief. He is a right divva. Next time Morissey, play Charming man!

Um... Hate to break it to you, but "This Charming Man" really never graced the upper reaches of the charts. You and your girlfriend may be waiting in some bus stop purgatory circa 1983, but the rest of the world is not. 5 small years of the 80s, VS going on 25 as a solo act?

Well...

Oh my God! I hope Morrissey doesn’t read these posts! Perth was his first concert, in a quiet town, in front of a mainly typically reserved Scottish audience but in my opinion, and from where I was sitting, there were some rather rude, ignorant and ungrateful people in the audience. I have waited a very long time to finally see him in person and I was moved to tears at times but I could not believe how anyone could leave to go to the bar while Morrissey was on stage but lots did! If I was part of the security staff I would not have let them back in !!
As I said it was my first concert, but I have watched a few on DVD so I had thought he had left the stage after Meat is Murder to change his shirt, and would be back to lift the mood. Had I realised that was the end of the formal set list I would have shouted much louder for an encore. I must admit to being disappointed with it ending suddenly but it hasn’t stopped me considering buying tickets from ebay for other venues in Scotland !
He is Great; he is his own person and hopefully always will be, he doesn’t suffer fools and why should he. He has a great stage presence; he allows complete strangers touch his hand - what more can we ask ! He is not an older gent, as the reviewer in the Scotsman described him just simply an intelligent, brilliant observer of life who has been on this planet for 52 years. I wasn’t close enough to see his reaction to the items thrown onto the stage but he seemed pleased with what looked like a card given to him by someone at the front.
As to the song content, I was more than happy with it, I was thrilled that he sounded so good live, my teenage daughter was genuinely surprised that his voice was as good live as on the CDs I have subjected on her over her formative years. I loved the new songs, which isn’t always the case with a first play. I am around Morrissey’s age but I have never owned a Smiths album, so it is Morrissey as a solo artist that I enjoy and who I came to see. He certainly did not disappoint me, but left me wanting more, and I will buy the new album when released.
As a canny Scot I thought the concert was superb value for money and the choice of venues in Scotland means most folk can reach a venue without onerous travel.
He has a busy summer ahead and I sincerely hope that we, the Perth audience, haven’t disappointed him or put him off doing future live performances. When I enthused about the concert, it was said to me that I would have been happy if Morrissey had turned up and sat on a chair for an hour and that is probably right but instead he sang his heart out to us and I loved every moment of his performance. xxxx

Oh my God! I hope Morrissey doesn’t read some of these posts! Perth was his first concert, in a quiet town, in front of a mainly typically reserved Scottish audience but in my opinion, and from where I was sitting, there were some rather rude, ignorant and ungrateful people in the audience. I have waited a very long time to finally see him in person and I was moved to tears at times but I could not believe how anyone could leave to go to the bar while Morrissey was on stage but lots dd! If I was part of the security staff I would not have let them back in !!
As I said it was my first concert, but I have watched a few on DVD so I had thought he had left the stage after Meat is Murder to change his shirt, and would be back to lift the mood. Had I realised that was the end of the formal set list I would have shouted much louder for an encore. I must admit to being disappointed with it ending suddenly but it hasn’t stopped me considering buying tickets from ebay for other venues in Scotland !
He is Great; he is his own person and hopefully always will be, he doesn’t suffer fools and why should he. He has a great stage presence; he allows complete strangers touch his hand - what more can we ask ! He is not an older gent, as the reviewer in the Scotsman described him just simply an intelligent, brilliant observer of life who has been on this planet for 52 years. I wasn’t close enough to see his reaction to the items thrown onto the stage but he seemed pleased with what looked like a card given to him by someone at the front.
As to the song content, I was more than happy with it, I was thrilled that he sounded so good live, my teenage daughter was genuinely surprised that his voice was as good live as on the CDs I have subjected on her over her formative years. I loved the new songs, which isn’t always the case with a first play. I am around Morrissey’s age but I have never owned a Smiths album, so it is Morrissey as a solo artist that I enjoy and who I came to see. He certainly did not disappoint me, but left me wanting more, and I will buy the new album when released.
As a canny Scot I thought the concert was superb value for money and the choice of venues in Scotland means most folk can reach a venue without onerous travel.
He has a busy summer ahead and I sincerely hope that we, the Perth audience, haven’t disappointed him or put him off doing future live performances. When I enthused about the concert, it was said to me that I would have been happy if Morrissey had turned up and sat on a chair for an hour and that is probably right but instead he sang his heart out to us and I loved every moment of his performance.

Oh my God! I hope Morrissey doesn’t read some of these posts! Perth was his first concert, in a quiet town, in front of a mainly typically reserved Scottish audience but in my opinion, and from where I was sitting, there were some rather rude, ignorant and ungrateful people in the audience. I have waited a very long time to finally see him in person and I was moved to tears at times but I could not believe how anyone could leave to go to the bar while Morrissey was on stage but lots dd! If I was part of the security staff I would not have let them back in !!
He has a busy summer ahead and I sincerely hope that we, the Perth audience, haven’t disappointed him or put him off doing future live performances. When I enthused about the concert, it was said to me that I would have been happy if Morrissey had turned up and sat on a chair for an hour and that is probably right but instead he sang his heart out to us and I loved every moment of his performance.

I'm digging the Harry Hill tribute act at Perth

The collar on his shirt gets bigger and bigger throughout the song :thumb:
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Nae long through the door. First time I've seen the boy but a life long devotee. I thought it was an amazing gig. f*** off to all the bubbly arsed c***s that slag it off. I was in tears twice (I know it's over) and (meat is murder). My sister who I was with said she won't eat animals any more so whatever it's a winner. I haven't eaten another animal since I was in primary six.

Love, love, love your comments. I love the Scottish directness (with the heart never far away)!
I'm glad you (and your sister) enjoyed it!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom