person at "Rolling Stone" compared Taylor Swift to Morrissey

zepfan1

A person at "Rolling Stone" compared Taylor Swift to Morrissey

Blasphemer... abomination ....:crazy:

The world has now come to an end

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/reviews/album/45342/225745

Swift's third album, Speak Now, is roughly twice as good as 2008's Fearless, which was roughly twice as good as her 2006 debut. These 14 tunes chronicle the hopes and dreams of boy-crazy small-town Everygirls, and Swift wrote them all by herself. (She also co-produced Speak Now with Nathan Chapman, who oversaw Swift's first two albums.) Swift might be a clever Nashville pro who knows all the hitmaking tricks, but she's also a high-strung, hyper-romantic gal with a melodramatic streak the size of the Atchafalaya Swamp. So she's in a class by herself when it comes to turning all that romantic turmoil into great songs. At this point, she's like the new Morrissey, except with even more eyeliner.

Last edited:
"Except with even more eyeliner"? Is it possible that Einstein here is confusing Morrissey with Robert Smith? :D

cheers

...Dunno much about Taylor swift, but she appeared on the Paul O' Grady show last friday night,( in the UK..) and she sang a halfway decent song....she said she also writes all her own songs, so, be they good or bad, at least she has some degree of talent ( ...although she could do with a good pan of scouse down her....).

Once in his life Kanye was right.
I think all this Taylor Swift thing is nothing but a lame attempt of a certain part of the industry (the Nashville squad, whatever) to pull America's white kids out of the r'n'b devil claws and make loads of money along the way. And that's something I detest even more, because that's a case of double hypocrisy. Like, Taylor is a girl saint, she's not shaking her ass next to 50 cent, she's so classy, she is a singer-songwriter, you know. Any guitar playing girl I know in my very unmusical hometown is well capable of writing that Taylor Swift crap. Because it IS crap.

As for the Morrissey comparison - silly silly old journalism an'all. He could have dragged in some Bob Dylan biblical uprightness too :lbf:

Good heavens. In my happy seclusion from contemporary chart pop (achieved by having no TV channels in a language I understand and never, ever turning on the radio), I hadn't actually heard her before.

Three Youtube clips later, I must say I had expected something more than a seventh-rate singer/songwriter to anchor the hullaballoo. She's like Hannah Montana for grown-ups. She would have been a more boring alternative to the unbearable gut-wrenching guitar girl that tormented us in every episode of Ally McBeal. She is to the noughties what Rick Springfield was to the eighties, and David Hasselhoff to the nineties.

Hey, Mr. Rolling Stone - it's not Morrissey you're thinking of. It's Morrissette. You know, Alanis. Although even she sounds brave and innovative by comparison, which is saying something......

cheers

Hang the journalist... The journalist who lies. Etc...

f***ing hell.

i wouldnt compare them, but taylor swift is better than any other 'a list' pop stars out there right now. if moz actually liked any good current music, he'd agree.

i wouldnt compare them, but taylor swift is better than any other 'a list' pop stars out there right now. if moz actually liked any good current music, he'd agree.

No, she's horrifically boring with nought to say. A person of Morrissey's intelligence could never find anything "good" about her music.

"Speak Now" (the single) is charming. If the song had come out as an unreleased track from the Beautiful South's "Choke" sessions, sung by Brianna Corrigan, it would rate a 9.2 on Pitchfork.

Yes, it's lightweight pop fluff that nobody will mistake for a classic. Yes, it's made for teenagers. That's true of 97% of the songs played before Morrissey concerts that people here scour the web to track down. Don't be snobs.

"Speak Now" (the single) is charming. If the song had come out as an unreleased track from the Beautiful South's "Choke" sessions, sung by Brianna Corrigan, it would rate a 9.2 on Pitchfork.

Yes, it's lightweight pop fluff that nobody will mistake for a classic. Yes, it's made for teenagers. That's true of 97% of the songs played before Morrissey concerts that people here scour the web to track down. Don't be snobs.

Perhaps that's true of some of the interval music, but we mustn't forget that it all boils down to quality. Swift and her contemporaries lack proper quality whereas Vince Taylor, Billy Fury and others had plenty of quality and talent.

Perhaps that's true of some of the interval music, but we mustn't forget that it all boils down to quality. Swift and her contemporaries lack proper quality whereas Vince Taylor, Billy Fury and others had plenty of quality and talent.

How does Taylor Swift lack quality? I don't rate her in the same category as Morrissey but it seems to me she sings, writes, and performs perfectly well for a mainstream pop singer. Is there a gigantic difference between Swift and Sandie Shaw, for example? If there is I can't hear it.

How does Taylor Swift lack quality? I don't rate her in the same category as Morrissey but it seems to me she sings, writes, and performs perfectly well for a mainstream pop singer. Is there a gigantic difference between Swift and Sandie Shaw, for example? If there is I can't hear it.

She might write her own material, but is it any good? No. It lacks emotion, originality, personality, message...

Sandie Shaw? Never been a fan. Sorry.

She might write her own material, but is it any good? No. It lacks emotion, originality, personality, message...

I respect your opinion but those are really subjective points. Plenty of people hear emotion and personality in her songs. There's nothing too original about her music but, then, we have to remember we're talking about a mainstream pop singer, and they're never all that original in the first place. As for message, again, maybe to some her songs carry an interesting message.

Sandie Shaw? Never been a fan. Sorry.

Fair enough. I mentioned Shaw because she was a favorite of Morrissey's. I like some of her songs and to me there's no difference between them whatsoever, whereas I do hear the difference between Shaw-Swift and Miley Cyrus, Britney Spears, and the other abominable parade of Mushketeers. I'm not claiming Swift is a genius. She's just a good pop singer working in the realm of, y'know, popular entertainment. No reason to bash her. I'm not a fan of Rob Sheffield's criticism but there are some spiky lines in "Speak Now" that instantly made me think of Morrissey-- though, as I said, for me a more apt comparison is Briana Corrigan of The Beautiful South (or mid-period Sarah Cracknell of Saint Etienne in their "All-American High School" kitsch phase).

A person at "Rolling Stone" compared Taylor Swift to Morrissey

Blasphemer... abomination ....:crazy:

The world has now come to an end

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/reviews/album/45342/225745

Swift's third album, Speak Now, is roughly twice as good as 2008's Fearless, which was roughly twice as good as her 2006 debut. These 14 tunes chronicle the hopes and dreams of boy-crazy small-town Everygirls, and Swift wrote them all by herself. (She also co-produced Speak Now with Nathan Chapman, who oversaw Swift's first two albums.) Swift might be a clever Nashville pro who knows all the hitmaking tricks, but she's also a high-strung, hyper-romantic gal with a melodramatic streak the size of the Atchafalaya Swamp. So she's in a class by herself when it comes to turning all that romantic turmoil into great songs. At this point, she's like the new Morrissey, except with even more eyeliner.

:barf: Has the person who wrote it actually listened to Morrissey at all?

I respect your opinion but those are really subjective points. Plenty of people hear emotion and personality in her songs. There's nothing too original about her music but, then, we have to remember we're talking about a mainstream pop singer, and they're never all that original in the first place. As for message, again, maybe to some her songs carry an interesting message.

Fair enough. I mentioned Shaw because she was a favorite of Morrissey's. I like some of her songs and to me there's no difference between them whatsoever, whereas I do hear the difference between Shaw-Swift and Miley Cyrus, Britney Spears, and the other abominable parade of Mushketeers. I'm not claiming Swift is a genius. She's just a good pop singer working in the realm of, y'know, popular entertainment. No reason to bash her. I'm not a fan of Rob Sheffield's criticism but there are some spiky lines in "Speak Now" that instantly made me think of Morrissey-- though, as I said, for me a more apt comparison is Briana Corrigan of The Beautiful South (or mid-period Sarah Cracknell of Saint Etienne in their "All-American High School" kitsch phase).

Hmm. Fair enough. When one talks about music and it's "qualities" one always come off as being terribly subjective.

Hmm. Fair enough. When one talks about music and it's "qualities" one always come off as being terribly subjective.

It's always subjective, yes.

I guarantee you if Swift released a few songs from her next album anonymously, on the web, she would pick up a few thousand hard-boiled indie rock fans who would turn six shades of green when they found out who she really was. Mais, c'est la vie. She's not sweating it and nor should we. :rolleyes:

Let me just add this:

These back-to-back comments on the RS page are probably typical:

1. I hope you're kidding with this.Do you have no experience with music at all?It's not crap is about the best it deserves.

2. you people are dumb. this album is excellent! not sure if it's better than fearless though (best album of 2008!) and i agree with sheffield, swift makes the best pop albums right now​

With that kind of divided opinion she has to have something.

By the way I would kill to hear Morrissey sing these lines: "You're an expert at sorry/And keeping lines blurry/And never impressed/By me acing your tests".

Tags
maybe if she wore meat
Back
Top Bottom