People with mobiles/cameras at gigs - for or against?

sid james

Stone me!
An increasing phenominom at gigs nowdays is hordes of people taking pictures/videos with their phones/digital cameras? Is this a good thing, or are these people incosiderate bastards?
I'm in two minds, as obviously I enjoy seeing any footage/pictures that people share via Morrissey-solo etc, but having just got back from the Alexander Palace gig there were entire rows of assholes who had their cameras/phones held aloft FOR THE ENTIRE GIG practically blocking out the view for any poor sap who happened to be behind them.
What's you opinion?

Mobiles at Ally Pally

You are damn freaking right, I was trying to see the real thing when all I could see at one point was 5 different Camera Phone/Digital Camera Images.

The pictures that they take aint much cop any way.

And as for the woman on that blokes shoulders for 20 minutes....

Yes I was amazed by this. I took a 10 sec clip of Moz's entry onto the stage and then put the phone away.

I dont see the point of filming the whole thing. Some guy was blocking my view and using my shoulders to steady his cam, I had to have a word with him in the end.

I swear that Moz even beckoned for him to put the cam down at one point.

I thought we were meant to be searched? I saw loads of cameras in there.

Right Whinger said:
Yes I was amazed by this. I took a 10 sec clip of Moz's entry onto the stage and then put the phone away.

See THIS I don't mind, it's doing it for the entire gig that is inconsiderate as hell to whoever is behind you.

Yeah the odd snap is fine but I mean pretending you are David Bailey at a Morrissey gig is just plain stupid and ignorant.

There were aome really annoying people there last night. And a few chaps who looked like they were of the 'Criminal Fraternity'.

Did anyone else notice the bloke who was about 70 with his son about mid-forties near the front and to the left. If they werent Kray realtives I dont know who is.

I was at the Dundee gig last week and Morrissey actually made a comment about all the camera phones, something like, "how did you survive without Mobile phones".

I took a couple at the start with a camera phone but I was so engrossed in what was happing in front of me I forgot I even had it with me. The few that I took didn't turn out to great anyway.

It's all about the memories.

Last edited:
Think they should be banned meself. They ruin the enjoyment for everyone.

I bet the people using them would enjoy the gig a lot more if they just concentrated on the experience rather than obsessively recording everything. Sometimes you've got to learn to live for the moment.

Aren't cameras supposed to be banned?

If not they should be!

I have no problem with the odd picture or video clip but the people who just stand there constantly taking pictures are annoying beyond belief.

Last night, after moving away from front centre for a rest, I had the misfortune of standing behind some fat guy who just spent his time lining up shot after shot. No singing, no movement, no apparent enjoyment at all. Thankfully I managed to move away from him after a few songs.

Why do this? Just to bore your mates who, if they were that interested, would have come along themselves??!!

Right Whinger said:
Some guy was blocking my view and using my shoulders to steady his cam, I had to have a word with him in the end.

Wow, that's so rude!

I'm glad someone's brought this up, actually, as it annoys the crapola out of me as well. When all you can see is a forest of people's bloody phones, instead of the bloke you've paid over £30 to see... argh.

And then there's the people who make phonecalls at gigs.....

I've never taken pictures or film at gigs cos I'm not good at grabbing a good picture

Would prefer mobiles be restricted in some ways

Helen said:
And then there's the people who make phonecalls at gigs.....

The guy next to me actually rang his mate on his mobile while Moz was on stage to have a chat. And this is in the middle of the crushing baking pit. Incredible. :rolleyes:

sid james said:
The guy next to me actually rang his mate on his mobile while Moz was on stage to have a chat. And this is in the middle of the crushing baking pit. Incredible. :rolleyes:

Almost as bad as the people that sparked up their cigarettes in the crush at the front. 'Tobacco is Murder' as well you know! How inconsiderate.

Mobiles at gigs

Someone called me by mistake from a gig, I stayed on the line trying to work out who it was.

Photo's off camera phones are shite, I used to laugh at the photo's people would bring in to be printed when I worked at Klick.

Searched??

Were you searched? We just showed our tickets and walked in, and I guess, judging by so many cameras in there, most others did this as well.

And this was at about 6.15 when it would have been easier to search people than when it got busy

Jones said:
Think they should be banned meself. They ruin the enjoyment for everyone.

I bet the people using them would enjoy the gig a lot more if they just concentrated on the experience rather than obsessively recording everything. Sometimes you've got to learn to live for the moment.

That's what I was gonna say so I'll just second ya. :)

Ah well, I hear there's still a chance cell phone users will be getting brain tumors soon, with any luck.

Mobile Phones

Mmmmmmm.I posted a year or so ago on this topic and how the use of phones at gigs to take pictures was now at saturation point.

I don't have any problems with anyone capturing the odd picture but scores of these people seem to spend the entire gig with their phones suspended in mid air looking to capture a shot.

Of course.....the worst offenders are the people who ring their mates whilst the gig is in full flow and hold their phones up so that teir mate can hear.

Back
Top Bottom