Pearl Jam....

spazrock

Anyone here like Pearl Jam? They are my favorite band, (I've seen them 20 times!!!!) Moz is a very close second behind Pearl Jam, and these two bands are the most responsible for changing my life.

Any thoughts on PJ? :)

Anyone here like Pearl Jam? They are my favorite band, (I've seen them 20 times!!!!) Moz is a very close second behind Pearl Jam, and these two bands are the most responsible for changing my life.

Any thoughts on PJ? :)

I was a big fan in 96 but I think they've produced a bunch of rubbish after that. I don't care for any of their latest albums much, I just saw them live a couple of months ago in Vienna for old times sake. Was pretty good, and a very long show. They played their old hits, thank god. was completely sold out, since this was their first time in Vienna.

Eddie Vedder and the boys in PJ rock. They are easily one of the finest bands around, and don't be surprised if they're still rockin in twenty five years.

Yes, I'm a big Pearl Jam fan. They were the first band that introduced me to music. To my surprises: the new album is great (a grower of course), a 'rocker' but not as we're used on Ten

I just saw them live a couple of months ago in Vienna for old times sake. Was pretty good, and a very long show.

I was at this show:

07/11/03 - Tweeter Center: Mansfield (Boston), MA [preset 50m/main set 165m]
support act: Sleater-Kinney
PJ preset: Long Road, Of The Girl, Sometimes, Off He Goes, All Those Yesterdays, Drifting, Thin Air, Sleight Of Hand, Footsteps, All Or None, Parting Ways, Indifference
set: Can't Keep, Breakerfall, Brain of J, Spin the Black Circle, Ghost, Green Disease, Tremor Christ, Given To Fly, Nothing As It Seems, Cropduster, Faithfull, Why Go, Wishlist/(Why Can't I Touch It?), Leatherman, Nothingman, Better Man, 1/2 Full, Untitled/MFC, Blood
enc 1: Breath, Habit, Down, Mankind, U, Black, Jeremy
enc 2: Arc, I Believe In Miracles, Know Your Rights, Fortunate Son, Rockin' in the Free World
enc 3: Yellow Ledbetter
notes: This show is part III of the plan for PJ to play their catalog over the three Mansfield shows with no repeats. The unique full band preset starts early with a nearly full house with Ed thanking the crowd for participating in "the experiment." After 'Of The Girl,' Ed asks the crowd to sit down saying, "We haven't played to a seated crowd in a long, long time ... there's not gonna be an acoustic version of 'Blood' or anything like that ..." The preset begins acoustic with Jeff playing electric on some of the early songs and Mike going electric on some of the later songs. Splendid song selection and very well executed. At least three-quarters of the crowd leaves after the preset Sleater-Kinney thanks Pearl Jam for opening for them in their set. PJ return for the main set, ripping through the first few songs at a staccato pace. Ed toasts Boston #3 after 'GTF,' and mentions saving the best for last. He says the next song could have been played in the preset but that they had saved it, and Mike begins 'NAIS.' 'Faithfull' was saved specifically for night three. Ed flubs 'Wishlist' but puts an extended jam on the end (acknowledging the crowd has "forgiven" him) that evolves into the 'Why Can't I Touch It?' tag, enlisting the crowd to sing and joking about not giving Atlanta this part to sing. Ed introduces the "man" trilogy as three songs that "go together just like teeth in a Georgian's mouth," and then apologizes to Atlanta. In usual form, the crowd sings the first two verses to 'Better Man' before Ed even gets a word out. Returning for the first encore, Ed checks his notebook and says there are "... still quite a few songs on the list, so take a deep ..." but doesn't finish the sentence and they launch into 'Breath.' Unfortunately, there is no "speaking as ..." in 'Habit,' but just a complete stop from the build up. 'Down' is introduced as a "b-side off the last record for the serious collector," and is dedicated to Howard Zinn. Ed speaks more of Zinn's writings at the end of the song. He addresses the 77 soldiers that have lost their lives in Iraq since the war is supposedly over and that he hopes that our thoughts and actions are still with those people overseas. "It will be a fine day when they all come home." Ed introduces Stone, who says, "I've been waiting all tour to get the mic. Finally I have it. It feels so good. Since we're playing all the songs, here's the one that I sing ..." leading to 'Mankind,' played under pink lights! He flounders on the repetition of the "... what's got the whole world faking" lyric toward the end and says, "Well, it was sort of magic up to the last part ... the second verse was pretty good, I thought." After 'Black,' Ed says they only have one more of their songs to do and it is one the crowd knows so they can sing along, leading to 'Jeremy,' and afterward, leaving the stage with, "We did it ... thank you!" The second encore begins with "Eddie, Eddie" chants and he responds, "Yeah, it's just me up here." He talks about how they were pacing themselves and the crowd outdid them. He says they are going to break the curfew and says it isn't a deliberate act of disrespect but they want to finish the setlist and that next time they will probably play the Fleet Center. "It will never be like the Garden or like the Orpheum Theater." After thanking those who showed up early for the "experiment" of the opener, he introduces 'Arc' as another experiment, following it with 'I Believe in Miracles.' Sleater-Kinney come out for 'Fortunate Son' and 'RITFW.' Then, "There's one more we haven't done. We've done it once in Birmingham ..." and they repeat the loud "one note" and leave, to the dismay of the crowd that still continues to stay and cheer. The band returns, repeating the "one note" but then going into 'YL' (apparently the only song that would signal they were really done to get the crowd to leave). Mike adds a snippet of Boston's 'More Than A Feeling.' Playing 30 minutes beyond the 11 pm curfew allegedly cost the band $7,500. (Total count for the three nights at Mansfield = 82 songs plus 11 covers.)

45 songs that night!!!!

Pearl Jam are one of my favourite artists along with The Beatles, Rage Against The Machine, The Smiths, Morrissey and The Stone Roses.

I've been to a few Pearl Jam concerts and they were absolutely fantastic, Alive (live) just sends shivers down my spine. Grunge is one form of music I'm deeply interested in although it should really be called alternative.

Eddie Vedder is an amazing lyricist.

Luvvvvv Pearl Jam. Have you heard the cover Mercy Mercy Me with Eddie and Julian Casablancas? It rocks! I made a video/picture tribute to it: Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom