Morrissey Central "PAULA, RIP" & "Paula at Morrissey’s knee" (September 13, 2022)

Paula the dog from World Peace Is None Of Your Business has passed away.

World_peace_is_none_of_your_business_noir92.jpg
unnamed-4_ursgwh.jpg

0-4_iew3je.jpg

by Gustavo Manzur

Do you know what sarcasm is, or do you need 8 years to look it up?
Again! Wow! Your wit is nearly Wildean! You must be the life of every party you get invited to!

Blimey that dog must have been very old. That album was released in 2014 so I assume the photos are from 2013 which is nearly 10 years ago and with labs usually having a a 12 years life expectancy Paula would need to have been approx 2 in that photo but obviously is older than 2 so has had a really very long life and maybe beaten all existing records.
She must have buried the Bonfire record cos there's no sign of it.

His riders have been like that for a long time.

There is that story of him insisting on his tea being served in a bone China tea cup with a special lid at Glastonbury back stage. I think that came from Janice Long.
"Morrissey insisted on eating only from real silver cutlery, Grandma Le Guil came all the way from Paris to bring her own; not to mention that all animal products had to be evicted from the household. It’s not known if Paula actually adhered to this."

I wonder what the idea was with real silver cutlery. I knew about vanilla candles and Corona, but this is the first I've heard of this particular eccentricity.
Here’s the thing. The author is French, so maybe it’s lost in translation. Maybe Morrissey simply didn’t want plastic forks, spoons and knives in the break room. Even if it wasn’t a translation issue, it could just be a misunderstanding. If you aren’t provided details, don’t take it as truth. This is why the world sucks right now. People lack critical media comprehension skills.

For somebody who regularly affirms his loathing of the aristocracy, Morrissey sure has the tastes of the manor born. Who can forget his demand for tins of Fortnum and Mason's classic biscuit collection - a favourite of Her Majesty The Queen - 'the very best butter biscuits in six different flavours. Stem Ginger, Salted Caramel, Macadamia Nut, Lemon Curd, Fruit & Nut Flapjack and Chocolate. Or his insistence of 'ONLY linen napkins' NOT paper' from his Meltdown rider. He's a classy guy Steven Patrick.
A vegan can eat butter cookies? Those sounds yummy, I want them.

What? That dog has a lot of love from tons of people and was spoilt by everyone who visited. Why would you say he gave any different that anyone else and more than she expected?

Very odd thing to say.
No, it is mistranslated, I meant that the dog gave a lot of love to Moz, maybe more than what Moz would expect to receive from some people :rolleyes:

Here’s the thing. The author is French, so maybe it’s lost in translation. Maybe Morrissey simply didn’t want plastic forks, spoons and knives in the break room. Even if it wasn’t a translation issue, it could just be a misunderstanding. If you aren’t provided details, don’t take it as truth. This is why the world sucks right now. People lack critical media comprehension skills.
They aren’t just stories.

And Janice Long wasn’t French and she knew Morrissey and her recollection was Morrissey wandering around back stage at Glastonbury with said teacup in hand and his personal assistant following him holding said China lid.

The linen napkins one has also been mentioned many times.

No reason to think a French person who speaks fluent English and looks after a well known global recording studio where many English speaking artists record would not understand correctly. It is absolutely in keeping with his mo.

Remember this is the man who insisted on living in one of the best five star hotels in Rome for over a year and always stays in The Dorchester when in London.

These places aren’t even like any standard five star hotel but places that have exacting details such as silver cutlery, linen napkins, crystal glass etc etc. These are the things he likes and is accustomed to when he is away so there is no surprise he expected it when staying at La Fabrique.

He would probably have loved to have been born in a palace with a whole team of butlers pressing his napkins and boning his china and serving him his egg and chips on China plates with polished silver cutlery.

He has more eccentricities than Kenneth Williams.

I’d forgotten about the infamous clone stamp 😂
i thought id erased those two words from my memory for good,CLONE STAMP,aaarrrggghhhhh,theyr back.

The author is German, not French. It's the Magazin für Insolvenz & Pop. But that actually helps your case: it's an English translation of a German writer interviewing a French producer. Still, I think it's a stretch to assume an insistence on non-plastic utensils would be translated over two languages to a preference for silver cutlery. And we were provided details: the bit about the producer's grandmother having to bring some silver from Paris. I think it's you who are lacking critical media comprehension skills. But it shouldn't bother you if Morrissey is finicky. He's earned the right to be.

Thinking on it, given that there's no translation credit, the author may have written the English herself. Germans have a high proficiency rate in English.

are you a professional bore or does it come very naturally.
You're the one who can't get his pronouns right and offered an inane observation. You should have just kept that thought in your head and not typed it and please, please, please, start a sentence with a capital letter. Talk about lazy.

...Yep, confirmed, , it's pretty hard to mistranslate/ misunderstand a whole story about an elderly family member travelling hundreds of miles to bring some fussy teapot special teaspoons.

(...Would you ask your own grandma to do that? )

I swear it's like the Revolution never happened in some parts of the country, the way some people enjoy grovelling in front of old queens...:rolleyes:

Also: in that "affectionate" picture, the dog was just asking the looter to give the cutlery back. As of course he was planning to leave with it... Same as BB with some records from the record collection I bet...

(Oh, I know your sort.)

Also, @davidsh366, the album wasn't recorded in Plasticland, where everything, even singers, is made of plastic, but in an old family home I gather. And anyway, I never heard Boomerissey object to plastic. He probably loves the stuff.

Oh yeah and, dogspeed Toblerone.

Last edited:
...Yep, confirmed, , it's pretty hard to mistranslate/ misunderstand a whole story about an elderly family member travelling hundreds of miles to bring some fussy teapot special teaspoons.

(...Would you ask your own grandma to do that? )

I swear it's like the Revolution never happened in some parts of the country, the way some people enjoy grovelling in front of old queens...:rolleyes:

Also: in that "affectionate" picture, the dog was just asking the looter to give the cutlery back. As of course he was planning to leave with it... Same as BB with some records from the record collection I bet...

(Oh, I know your sort.)

Also, @davidsh366, the album wasn't recorded in Plasticland, where everything, even singers, is made of plastic, but in an old family home I gather. And anyway, I never heard Boomerissey object to plastic. He probably loves the stuff.

Oh yeah and, dogspeed Toblerone.
I have this image in my head of a dinner party with Quentin Crisp, Kenneth Williams and Morrissey.

You're the one who can't get his pronouns right and offered an inane observation. You should have just kept that thought in your head and not typed it and please, please, please, start a sentence with a capital letter. Talk about lazy.
i intentionally write my posts like this and have done for well over 10 years,if it annoys you then do a dionne warwick and just scroll on by.you can stick yer pronouns up yer arse for all the good they do you.

He must feed his dogs meat right? How does that logic work?

He must feed his dogs meat right? How does that logic work?

The article said Paula liked chicken, but that Morrissey suggested a vegan diet for her. Dogs being omnivores, it's possible to keep them on a plant protein diet. It doesn't seem like Herve bothered to make the switch. I think it's more of a problem when it comes to cats, who are obligate carnivores. I wonder what Morrissey fed Dude.

Last edited:
The article said Paula liked chicken, but that Morrissey suggested a vegan diet for her. Dogs being omnivores, it's possible to keep them on a plant protein diet. It doesn't seem like Herve bothered to make the switch. I think it's more of a problem when it comes to cats, who are obligate carnivores. I wonder what Morrissey fed Dude.
Current advice from the British Vet Association is

While domestic dogs and cats are now different in their behaviour and physiology from their wild ancestors, they have specific nutritional needs that must be met to avoid dietary deficiencies and associated diseases such as metabolic bone disease and taurine deficiency in the case of cats. Dogs are omnivores, which means that they eat both meat and plant products. While it is theoretically possible, the British Veterinary Association does not recommend giving a dog a vegetarian or a vegan diet as it is much easier to get the balance of essential nutrients wrong than to get it right.

Cats are obligate carnivores, which means it is much harder or even impossible to meet their nutritional needs without feeding them meat. Many of the essential nutrients they require, such as taurine, preformed vitamin A and cysteine, are minimal or even absent in plant ingredients.

Of course, vegan pet diets may have synthetic supplements and nutrients added to them, but there isn’t a robust body of evidence to support that they are safe long-term for feeding our pets yet, as these ingredients may not be bioavailable to the animals. This means that it’s not so much the presence of taurine and other nutrients in the diet but how accessible (bioavailable) they are to the animal in their synthetic forms and whether they would interfere with the action of other nutrients. We need good evidence from large-scale, long-term, robust scientific studies feeding cats and dogs on appropriately supplemented balanced vegan diets for their lifetime, looking at how these diets affect their health, before we can make recommendations as to whether these diets are suitable and safe for the wider pet populations.

Current advice from the British Vet Association is

While domestic dogs and cats are now different in their behaviour and physiology from their wild ancestors, they have specific nutritional needs that must be met to avoid dietary deficiencies and associated diseases such as metabolic bone disease and taurine deficiency in the case of cats. Dogs are omnivores, which means that they eat both meat and plant products. While it is theoretically possible, the British Veterinary Association does not recommend giving a dog a vegetarian or a vegan diet as it is much easier to get the balance of essential nutrients wrong than to get it right.

Cats are obligate carnivores, which means it is much harder or even impossible to meet their nutritional needs without feeding them meat. Many of the essential nutrients they require, such as taurine, preformed vitamin A and cysteine, are minimal or even absent in plant ingredients.

Of course, vegan pet diets may have synthetic supplements and nutrients added to them, but there isn’t a robust body of evidence to support that they are safe long-term for feeding our pets yet, as these ingredients may not be bioavailable to the animals. This means that it’s not so much the presence of taurine and other nutrients in the diet but how accessible (bioavailable) they are to the animal in their synthetic forms and whether they would interfere with the action of other nutrients. We need good evidence from large-scale, long-term, robust scientific studies feeding cats and dogs on appropriately supplemented balanced vegan diets for their lifetime, looking at how these diets affect their health, before we can make recommendations as to whether these diets are suitable and safe for the wider pet populations.

Right. Long-term studies would provide the best evidence. But a short-term study showed vegan dogs faring better than meat-fed dogs, so there is that.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom