Paul Morley on Smiths Tribute bands

G

goinghome

"Early December 1983. The Smiths, of Manchester and, already, post-geographic pop heaven, are playing what is approaching their 50th ever gig at the Derby Assembly Rooms. The performance is being recorded for BBC2's Whistle Test, and therefore admission is free.

Those crammed into the Assembly Rooms for these damned extraordinary early-80s, new-born Smiths are a little over-excited. Many of the fans, most of them boys, react to the Smiths and these songs about things no one has put into words before with a helpless hysteria equivalent to the way girls once reacted to the Beatles, as if the thought of them, of what was unleashed, this urgent sense of freedom, was all too much. The Smiths play the number of songs they would play at that time, around a dozen, many of them now acknowledged as pop classics, and at some point during the performance a daffodil, or near offer, is thrown at singer Morrissey, presumably as an act of deep, undying affection. He was, after all, fond of flowers.

It hits him near the eye, and the blow causes him to swoon. He retires injured while the rest of the Smiths doodle for a while. He is to return, but guitarist Johnny Marr would say that this was one of his most embarrassing moments, to see his singer dramatically felled by a flower, as if he was as much delicate and indeed peevish diva as insanely tender, agitated contemplator of depravities and deprivations. Marr's more playful and innocent if sensationally nervous friend was to be replaced by someone a little more difficult and trying.

Just short of 27 years later, I return to Derby, on a damp depleted Saturday that around the shops, even in the afternoon, seems a little Sunday. Not, of course, to see the Smiths. In many ways, they are now beyond Derby. For all their depth and elegance, for all the giddying precision of Marr and enraptured freshness of Morrissey, there was not enough in there, or there was too much in there, to take them beyond four albums and five years. There would be no comebacks, for cash, love and broken old times' sake, and there remains no possibility of one, as though there has been some sort of suicide, and something that could never be replicated went disastrously missing, causing a complicated grief and an appropriately awkward afterlife.

I'm here instead to talk to the Smyths, one of the half-dozen bands that play earnest tribute to the Smiths, as if they can make up for the blasted absence, in ways that whirl uncomfortably between the deeply dismal and the sweetly breezy and near-comic..."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/oct/29/paul-morley-smiths-tribute-bands

The video of Morley's interview with The Smyths' lead singer, Graham Sampson, is also here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/video/2010/oct/29/paul-morley-smiths-tribute-video

It hits him near the eye, and the blow causes him to swoon. He retires injured while the rest of the Smiths doodle for a while. He is to return, but guitarist Johnny Marr would say that this was one of his most embarrassing moments, to see his singer dramatically felled by a flower, as if he was as much delicate and indeed peevish diva as insanely tender, agitated contemplator of depravities and deprivations.

I quite like Paul Morley but he's being a bit silly here. Morrissey wears contact lenses and it's clear to anyone who's seen the Derby footage that the object hit him in the eye, meaning he'd have to take the lens out backstage, clean it and put it back in. He didn't "swoon" just to be a diva. That came later :rolleyes:.

When Morley humiliated OMD at G-Mex festival in July 1986, I totally lost respect to him.

What did he do?

I don't remember exact words, but Morley introduced OMD very sarcastic mean manner like 'they're big in America'.
My English was rather poor at that time, still I understood nasty tone in his words.

When Morley humiliated OMD at G-Mex festival in July 1986, I totally lost respect to him.

Do you remember when some bloke climbed on the stage and hit Andy McCluskey over the head with a food tray? I'd forgot all about it, until my mate reminded me of it a few years ago. It was a long time ago!

Do you remember when some bloke climbed on the stage and hit Andy McCluskey over the head with a food tray? I'd forgot all about it, until my mate reminded me of it a few years ago. It was a long time ago!

I'm afraid I don't remember it at all.
We're in right upper seats from the stage on that day, possibly I was talking to my friend, apart from The Smiths, didn't pay much attention what was going on the stage. :o

We're in right upper seats from the stage on that day, possibly I was talking to my friend, apart from The Smiths, didn't pay much attention what was going on the stage. :o

We were on the second row of the lower seats, as you looked at the stage, we were on the right. Morley sat two seats from me, but didn't take to it until New Order came on.

P.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kewpie. Just wondering? Did you join in the Mexican Wave at G-Mex that night?

Back
Top Bottom