Paul Heaton has a go at Moz

Maurice E

Another 80's 'indie' singer gets stuck into Moz about the immigration thing.
Sorry, haven't got a reference (it was on Channel 4 teletext page 341 this morning) but he talks about how race relations are much better now than they were in the 70's.

Perhaps the time has come for Moz to sever his indie connections and just join Spandau Ballet on the next 'Here and Now' tour!

I hate the Beautiful South. They're woeful. Abysmally bad, insipid. Their songs are disgusting and my heart rots when hear them. I'd rather shove fetid raw chicken breasts in my mouth than listen to Heaton & co.

So I don't care what Heaton says!

It seems a lot of people are shooting their mouths off about what they think Morrissey said rather than what he is quoted as saying.

The world is full of easily led idiots.

I don't really know much about Paul Heaton apart from the fact that he was Fat Boy Slim's bandmate in the Housemartins then went on to form the truly awful Beautiful South. However, I once saw him on a pop/quiz/panel/Buzzcocky type show a couple of years ago and I thought he was the biggest twit I had ever seen.

I actually have a lot of time for PD Heaton. I'm a huge fan of the Housemartins and I like some of the Beautiful South stuff. I'd be supprised if he had a go at Moz. I wont comment either way though until I find out what he actually said and in what context. Too many people have judged Morrissey in the past in regard to "misquote" or "out of context" quotes......

Before we all jump on the hate bandwagon, I think Heaton deserves the same treatment/respect before I make a measured judgement on this one.​

I like Paul Heaton too, but Jones is right. People at this point are responding to mere echoes of a dubious article whose editorial integrity was compromised so badly the authors may have to go to court over it. Observers like Bragg and Heaton have a right to comment but they have to get their facts straight. These reactions may be helpful to Morrissey's court case, showing that the NME has done serious harm to his reputation.

Even setting the legal tangles aside, this reaction gives the lie to Conor McNicholas's protests of innocence and his stupid remarks about starting an "important discussion". The reaction in the media was predictable to any one of us here. There's no way the editor of a newsweekly like the NME would have been unaware of the ramifications of the article. Saying Morrissey is not a racist but using every other underhanded trick in the book to make him look like a racist is not going to leave the majority of people confused and undecided. They're going to respond as ignorantly and rashly as Heaton and others have done.

McNicholas-- and others, like Simon Reynolds-- ought to know this. And in fact I believe they do know this and simply don't mind these scurrilous public attacks because they know they can make their non-accusation accusations and get away with it.

Unless, that is, someone took them to court.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom