Paul Heaton (ex-Beautiful South) new solo album out now

Stefan Krix

Collector's guild
Paul Heaton, ex-singer and lyricist of The Beautiful South, has his second solo album in the (european) shops called The Cross Eyed Rambler. If you like The Housemartins and The Beautiful South as well as witty lyrics, give it a try!

Hmmmm

Heaton slagged off Morrissey on his myspace site earlier this year.

suppose not many people on this forums bother to check out his album. :o

If i could only listen to artists which were never slagged by Moz my record collection would be rather thin, too.

I only like to point out that he finally made a good album again. If someone forgives him his blasphemy and gives the record a try i *think* he/she will not be disappointed.;)

Paul Heaton will never let you down. All his stuff is excellent. Who cares if he slagged off Moz and his nostalgia for pure british accents on the streets of England...

Hey church I was thinking
The Third World seems to be sinking
Can't you all get over there
And we'll have them all over here
And you can learn to catch your own food
And you can learn to build your own hut
And we'll make up the usual excuse
To keep them in the pubs till they're shut
Hey skin, I just thought
The doctrine Hitler has taught
Is still kicking off in the States
Can't you go and join with your mates
Join up with the clueless clan
Dress up in a bag and a skirt
End up looking like a jerk
Meanwhile we'll have gone mad
And the hidden jukebox plays us a song
For each and everyone
For black, white, straight and the gay
Celebrate you being away
Hey Turk I was thinking
OK so l may have been drinking
You can come drink over here
And we'll f*** them off over there
Whisky for the Greek and the Turk
Gin for the Arab and the Jew
A double arsenic for Mister Le Pen
Cause it's him who soils Europe and not you
And the hidden jukebox plays us a song
Everyone should sing along
With a message that'll ring and ring
These are the words that we sing

I heard Heatons set on Radio Five Live and it sounded amazing. I have always loved Heaton since The Housemartins, i think he's a brilliant lyricist - funny and intelligent.

And i know he's had a few digs at Moz - but Moz is a big boy and dishes it out so has to take it back..:)

Re: Paul Heaton's new album - any thoughts?

I'm giving a listen to Paul Heaton's new album "The CrossEyed Rambler" anyone have it? If so, thoughts?

I bought the first single 'Drink and drive' (?) which I thought was ok.
The album picked up some good reviews but I didn't get round to buying a copy. Sold in disastrously small quantities apparently, around 10,000. Beautiful South albums sold over a million back in the 90's.
Apparently, the other BS members have gone on tour as the New Beautiful South (they didn't want to split up in the first place). I'd like to check them out. They've got a cracking back catalogue and I really love the boy/girl harmonies.

Re: Hmmmm

What did he say?

*thinks she has a Beautiful South album... oh yes, she has...*

I liked the Housemartins. I cannot believe that until now I was totally clueless that the singer is the same person. :o It is one of those things that you better never admit, isn' it? :blushing:

Well, TBS have three singers and Heaton doesn't sing on all of their songs (especially not on the really successful singles) so it's a fair mistake.
Heaton laid into Moz for his NME immigration comments. Pretty vituperative stuff. Think he used to be a pretty big Moz/Smiths fan.
I think Moz was spotted at Beautiful South concerts fairly recently (in the last five years)...

I bought the first single 'Drink and drive' (?) which I thought was ok.
The album picked up some good reviews but I didn't get round to buying a copy. Sold in disastrously small quantities apparently, around 10,000. Beautiful South albums sold over a million back in the 90's.
Apparently, the other BS members have gone on tour as the New Beautiful South (they didn't want to split up in the first place). I'd like to check them out. They've got a cracking back catalogue and I really love the boy/girl harmonies.

I'm actually a big fan of The Beautiful South, what do you mean the other members are on tour as "The New Beautiful South" and that they'd never wanted to break up? Are you saying it was Paul Heaton who broke up the band so he could go solo?

I'm actually a big fan of The Beautiful South, what do you mean the other members are on tour as "The New Beautiful South" and that they'd never wanted to break up? Are you saying it was Paul Heaton who broke up the band so he could go solo?

When they split, a statement was issued which implied it was a group decision.
However, recently, the 'New Beautiful South' have started playing a few concerts (not seen any reviews), and have said (somewhere!) words to the effect that they never wanted to split in the first place. They've kept the (most recent) female singer (who I thought was great), the other male singer, and a few of the other musicians, including the brass section I think.
I'm sure you could find out more from Google/Wiki etc.
Heaton didn't need to break up the band to go solo as he'd already released a solo album whilst part of the band.
I think he was probably getting demoralised by their poor album sales (down from 1 million to 100,000) but probably didn't expect this to plummet to 10,000 as a solo act!

just found a review of the NBS. http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/features/Gig-review-The-New-Beautiful.5120034.jp

MEET the New Beautiful South: like the old Beautiful South, but minus the bloke that sings plus the bloke that helped him write the songs.

The Hull collective's highly questionable decision to reform sans front man Paul Heaton and guitarist Dave ADVERTISEMENTRotheray raises a pertinent point about the importance, for dignity's sake, of sometimes just letting go. Yet there's arguably logic in there, too: why should the rest of the band remain inert when there's still a substantial and eager audience for the songs?

Certainly, this sell-out show suggested fans aren't hugely fussed who's in or out; they just wanted the hits, last heard circa 2007 exclusively in arenas and summer festival fields. They got them – Rotterdam, Don't Marry Her, Perfect 10 and the rest – but the hitch was fell-off-the-back-of-a-lorry quality.

Invariably soused, Heaton was hardly the most charismatic of chaps, but so bluntly charmless was Dave Hemingway's frontman routine here – stepping up into the breach buried anonymously in a big jacket and woolly cap – he managed to make the last guy look like Liberace by comparison.

Alison Wheeler, the third female singer to brave the band's notoriously unreconstructed dynamic, was infinitely more game yet too cut a solidly unremarkable figure.

Impressing critics was never the Beautiful South's chief concern – they were always a fans' band foremost. The New Beautiful South are as well, and their best-of set stirred up a lively – Phoenix Nights lively, anyway – boozy Saturday night sing-along vibe by the end.

Some new songs are promised, although judging by the scant merit of the Beautiful South's last couple of albums it feels more like a threat. Until then, this lot's status looks secure as Britain's favourite Beautiful South tribute band.

Back
Top Bottom