Patti Smith rocked LA!

romeogirl

Correction to a previous post of mine that Liz Phair was one of if not the first female solo rock artists. I forgot Joan Jett and, most importantly...

Patti Smith.

It was amazing.

I could really see her influence in Moz's performance now (one foot on the monitors, singing and connecting straight at you in the audience. Thankfully Moz doesn't spit, though. But when Smith does it, it's hardcore). She is such a warm performer/host, with many spikes of Hot! Hot! Hot!

What was interesting (as a Moz fan) was that her hair is very much like Julia's. So imagine a taller Julia going balls out spitting and going punk rock on stage. It's kind of surreal. (Has Julia karaoke-sung Patti Smith? hmm...)

Smith and her band opened with Redondo Beach (awwwesome!). In the set also was Dancing Barefoot, Because the Night, Gloria ("G-L-O-R-I-Ayeh!!"), Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana cover, she conjured Kurt's spirit first, everyone was quiet, it was very touching) and Are You Experienced (Jimi Hendrix).

Lenny Kaye gave a great tribute to (LA's) KROQ FM dj Rodney Bingenheimer (Rodney on the Roq, who is responsible for The Smiths breaking out in the States) when the band was stretching time while Smith (Patti) left the stage to take a piss (she was humourously open about it). They also tributed songwriter Dave/Dan (?) Whitfield who seemed to be in the audience (writer of hits such as Heard it Through the Grapevine) and proceeded to rock into Rock N' Roll N*****.

Her son also played guitar. He was really good.

There was a nice song in tribute to Fred "Sonic" Smith (Neil Young's "Helpless").

The crowd went wild when Smith (Patti) put an Obama shirt over her head. She threw five of them out to the crowd. I think this was around the time they sang "People Have the Power."

An unforgettable night. It was cool to see the types of people who came out to see her, too. Baby-boomers who rocked with her from the 70s as well as beatnik/hipsters in their younger 30s. Artist mods, regular people, hippies.

The most awesome thing about her is she makes you feel Relevant. The vote is coming up in about 2 weeks. At one point she said she was trying to stretch time so we'd miss Saturday Night Live. I didn't understand until I got home and turned on the tele. A bit of queasiness set in when (the real) Palin appeared onscreen. Amy Pollard did a great job setting it straight during the news segment, in front of Palin, who obviously didn't get it and tried to play along.

sigh...

But anyway, Patti Smith was great and empowering. She reminded us that the future is in our hands and we (in the US) need to show up at the polls on Nov. 4 and Vote. :)

Last edited:
Sounds great. I hope I get to see her live one day.

I just found out that the Patti Smith: Dream of Life film documentary will be at the Detroit Film Theatre 11/14 - 11/16. I'm happy I'll finally get to see this!

Patti Smith is an amazing performer. I've seen her 7 times now. 6x in Philly and once at Carnegie Hall in Feb 2007 with Michael Stipe at the Tibetan House Benefit. That was an awesome show and what a theater.

Great review, romeogirl! I am seeing her tomorrow night! Patti is going to be at the screening of Dream of Life tonight in SF. Unfortunately I can't go to that, but tomorrow night should be great. :D

Correction to a previous post of mine that Liz Phair was one of if not the first female solo rock artists. I forgot Joan Jett and, most importantly...

Patti Smith.

It was amazing.

I could really see her influence in Moz's performance now (one foot on the monitors, singing and connecting straight at you in the audience. Thankfully Moz doesn't spit, though. But when Smith does it, it's hardcore). She is such a warm performer/host, with many spikes of Hot! Hot! Hot!

What was interesting (as a Moz fan) was that her hair is very much like Julia's. So imagine a taller Julia going balls out spitting and going punk rock on stage. It's kind of surreal. (Has Julia karaoke-sung Patti Smith? hmm...)

Smith and her band opened with Redondo Beach (awwwesome!). In the set also was Dancing Barefoot, Because the Night, Gloria ("G-L-O-R-I-Ayeh!!"), Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana cover, she conjured Kurt's spirit first, everyone was quiet, it was very touching) and Are You Experienced (Jimi Hendrix).

Lenny Kaye gave a great tribute to (LA's) KROQ FM dj Rodney Bingenheimer (Rodney on the Roq, who is responsible for The Smiths breaking out in the States) when the band was stretching time while Smith (Patti) left the stage to take a piss (she was humourously open about it). They also tributed songwriter Dave/Dan (?) Whitfield who seemed to be in the audience (writer of hits such as Heard it Through the Grapevine) and proceeded to rock into Rock N' Roll N*****.

Her son also played guitar. He was really good.

There was a nice song in tribute to Fred "Sonic" Smith (Neil Young's "Helpless").

The crowd went wild when Smith (Patti) put an Obama shirt over her head. She threw five of them out to the crowd. I think this was around the time they sang "People Have the Power."

An unforgettable night. It was cool to see the types of people who came out to see her, too. Baby-boomers who rocked with her from the 70s as well as beatnik/hipsters in their younger 30s. Artist mods, regular people, hippies.

The most awesome thing about her is she makes you feel Relevant. The vote is coming up in about 2 weeks. At one point she said she was trying to stretch time so we'd miss Saturday Night Live. I didn't understand until I got home and turned on the tele. A bit of queasiness set in when (the real) Palin appeared onscreen. Amy Pollard did a great job setting it straight during the news segment, in front of Palin, who obviously didn't get it and tried to play along.

sigh...

But anyway, Patti Smith was great and empowering. She reminded us that the future is in our hands and we (in the US) need to show up at the polls on Nov. 4 and Vote. :)

Thanks so much for your comments, dunya, Je Suis Julie, Stipey and dothewatusi.

I was so bummed to miss "Dream of Life" when it was here in LA. Enjoy the show, dothewatusi! And Je Suis Julie, it would be great to hear what you think of the doc!

Stipey, did you know there is a collection of photographs by Stipe when he was on tour with Smith? It's called "Two Times Intro: On the Road with Patti Smith" by Michael Stipe. Hope you're able to find it.

Take care, guys/gals. :)

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your comments, dunya, Je Suis Julie, Stipey and dothewatusi.

I was so bummed to miss Dream of Life when it was here in LA. Please let us how what you think of it, Je Suis Julie! And enjoy the show at the Warfield, dothewatusi!

Stipey, did you know there is a collection of photographs by Stipe when he was on tour with Smith? It's called "Two Times Intro: On the Road with Patti Smith" by Michael Stipe. Hope you're able to find it.

Take care, guys/gals. :)

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to see Ms Smith at the Royal Festival Hall in London a few years back when she performed 'Horses' in its entirety. Absolute genius. The show was recorded and released as a bonus disc with a remastered version of the album, and is well worth a listen. :guitar:

Awesome! Thanks for the clip, dothewatusi.
And will be looking for the remastered Horses, The Spirit of 69 :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom