Passions Just Like Mine RIP

damn, just read it, I understand your choice, but just let all your work flow away
would be a giant gap in the world of Morrissey and The Smiths

I hope someone create at least a mirror site so all the info and work can be used or surf to , for
info on bootlegs/whatever

Thanks for your great share and work in the Smiths and Morrissey carreer, plus the Smiths members and anything they
done after

all the best, and thank you Stephane

[please share me your copy of ' south with Morrissey':lbf:]

Re: Passions Just Like Mine RIP

Why not rebuild the site as a wiki, and let the community maintain it? A handful of moderators could ensure that it remained accurate.

iwas fairly horrified when ifound the PJLM was no more- had to send Stephane my personal thanks- i've used the site a ton over the years and it was this site along with morrissey-solo that helped ignite my passion for Moz in 2001 when iproperly got into his music. iwill truly miss this site (strange to say, but true).

Why not rebuild the site as a wiki, and let the community maintain it? A handful of moderators could ensure that it remained accurate.

this is a good idea, though idoubt it would be maintained to the same standard.

A doggone cruel blow as an e-pier without par breaks off and drifts away. : (

Thanks, Stephane, twas some achievement.

Very,very sad.
Thank you,Stephane,for everything.

Just give me one day to save some information!

:sobs:

Really sad news!!!! What a big loss to everyone!!!!

I truly hope this huge fund of knowledge isn't lost forever and will reappear somewhere, somehow.

Stephane thanks a lot for your dedication and for all of your hard work to build this site to the gem it has been!!!

Big Big Loss....let's just hope that someone will eventually pick up all this and keep it going. Sad.
Cheers Moz

I love this site, sad to see it go, but I understand, "moving on" is good
if only I could do the same, and to be honest, more than once I have used it to remember when things happend in my life from 91 on(my 1st show Pauley)
those concert dates for times in my life and correct song lyrics have been of great use to me many at time
thank you Stephane
please keep us appraised on what else you might do
your site has been precious to me...

Passions Just Like Mine - GONE

OK, now that we know the site is gone (thanks a lot, Stephane, for giving us a heads up so we could archive all the info) has anyone saved info from it?

Here's the 1988 Suedehead release info:

Suedehead
I Know Very Well How I Got My Name

UK 7" [HMV POP1618]
Australia 7" [EMI Australia EMI2059]
Canada 7" [Sire/Reprise 92 79077]
EEC 7" [EMI 20 2383-7]
France 7" [EMI France 20 2383-7]
Italy 7" [EMI 20 2383-7]
Japan CD3 [Toshiba EMI XP10-2001]
Philippines 7" [EMI 73-X-365]
Portugal 7" [EMI 20 2383-7]
Spain 7" [HMV/Hispavox 20 2383-7]
USA 7" [Sire/Reprise 9 27907-7]

Suedehead
Hairdresser On Fire

UK 12" [HMV 12POP1618]
Argentina 12" [EMI/Odeon 6210]
Argentina CMS [EMI/Odeon 16210]
Australia 12" [EMI Australia ED335]
Canada 12" [Sire/Reprise 92 08770]
EEC/Holland 12" [EMI 20 2384-6]
Greece 12" [EMI Greece 20 2384-6]
Italy 12" [EMI 20 2384-6]
Spain 12" [HMV/Hispavox 20 2384-6]
USA 12" [Sire/Reprise 9 20877-0]

Suedehead
Hairdresser On Fire
Oh Well, I'll Never Learn

UK CD5 [HMV CDPOP1618]
UK CMS [HMV TCPOP1618]

Additional information:
Some copies of the UK 12" and cassette maxi-single were mispressed with "Ordinary Boys" instead of "Hairdresser On Fire".

The Argentinean 12" and cassette single are titled "Rapado", which means "Suedehead" in Spanish.

Artwork information:
Morrissey. The original photo was taken by Geri Caulfield at the London Palladium concert in October 1986.

Etchings on vinyl:
UK 7" and 12": "DREAMS...ARE JUST...DREAMS" / none

Additional release date information:
UK: 27 February 1988

Chart peak information:
UK: 5
USA: (didn't chart)

Promotion:
UK: This single was promoted by the first in a series of promo 12"s (EMI 12POPDJ1618; view in left frame) of different colours for Morrissey's first six singles. This one is slipped inside a blue sleeve and is the only one in the series to be numbered. Some of these promo 12"s included a poster. Copies of the 7" were sent to radio with a press release and a promo sticker on the back. Copies of the cd-single have supposedly also been distributed with a promo sticker on them. Two different one-track promo videos of the title track were also produced, one by Double Vision for the usual networks, and the other by Parlophone for instore play. The video for "Suedehead" was also included on a various artists instore sampler (EMI Instore no. 20).

Argentina: Copies of the "Rapado" 12" have supposedly been distributed for promotion. "Suedehead" was included on two different 6-track various artists promo EPs sent to radio at the time of the single's release. One was numbered DIF010 and the other DIFLP015. A promo LP titled "Imagen De Radio" (EMI 10056) also included the song.

Brazil: A promo 12" (Parlophone 9951077) was printed with "Suedehead" on both sides. However that song was never released as a single in that country. This 12" was used to promote "Viva Hate".

Canada: Gold-stamped copies of the 12" and an edition of the 7" with promo text on the label were used for promotion. Unlike the latter's American counterpart which had the title track on both sides, the Canadian promo 7" was backed by "I Know Very Well How I Got My Name".

France: The sleeve of stock copies of the 7" were stamped for promotion.

Germany: The EEC 7" was sent to radio with a 'fact sheet' in German.

Japan: The 3" cd-single was promoted by an edition with 'SAMPLE' stamped on the cd's inner ring and by a specially pressed promo 7" (PRP-1275). The latter featured "I Know Very Well How I Got My Name" on the b-side and was usually paired with a photocopied press release.

South Africa: One-sided promo 7"s (EMI PS100) of "Suedehead" were printed for promotion of the "Viva Hate" album. "Suedehead" was never released as a single in that country.

USA: Gold-stamped copies of the 12" and a promo 7" (Sire/Reprise, 7-27907-A) were sent to radios to promote this single. The 7" featured the title track on both sides and was slipped inside a generic record company sleeve, with no artwork. Two promo videos were distributed to the usual networks. The first one, dated 24 March 1988, featured only the title track while the other (Warner A57544) featured the "Suedehead" video and videos for 4 songs by the Smiths. A one-track promo cd of "Suedehead" (Sire/Reprise PRO-CD-3013) was also sent to radios in the USA, but this item was used to promote "Viva Hate" and can be viewed on the latter album's page.

Re: Passions Just Like Mine - GONE

Viva Hate [ORIGINAL] info:

UK CD [HMV CDCSD3787]
UK CS [HMV TCCSD3787]
UK LP [HMV CSD3787]
UK CD [Parlophone CDCSD3787]
UK LP [Parlophone PCS7376]
UK LP [Simply Vinyl SVLP233]

Argentina CS [EMI 20049]

Australia CD [EMI Australia 790180-2]
Australia CS [EMI Australia TC-EMC790180]
Australia LP [EMI Australia EMC 790180]

Brazil CD [EMI Odeon 790180-2]
Brazil CS [EMI Odeon 790180-4]
Brazil LP [EMI Odeon 790180-1]

Canada CD [Sire/Reprise CD-25699]
Canada CS [Sire/Reprise 92 56994]
Canada LP [Sire/Reprise 92 56991]

EEC CD [Fame CDFA-3243]
EEC CS [Fame TCFA-3243]
EEC LP [Fame FA-3243]
EEC/Holland LP [EMI 790180-1]

France CS [EMI 700180-4]
France/Holland LP [EMI 790180-1]

Greece LP [EMI Greece 790180-1]

Indonesia CS [EMI TC-CSD3787]
Indonesia CS [Green Club Riviera GC1237]

Israel CS [CBS CSD 3787-4]
Israel LP [CBS CSD 3787-1]

Italy LP [EMI Italiana 7901801]

Japan CD [Toshiba CP32-5611]
Japan CD [1991 reissue on Toshiba TOCP-6856]
Japan CD [1998 reissue on Toshiba TOCP-3405]
Japan CS [Toshiba ZP28-5611]
Japan LP [Toshiba RP28-5611]

Malaysia CS [EMI TC-CSD3787]

Mexico CD [EMI 790180-2]

Philippines LP [EMI/Dyna Productions CSD-3787]
Philippines CS [EMI TC CSD 3787]

Portugal LP [EMI 790180-1]

South Africa CS [EMI CT-47901802]
South Africa LP [EMI EMCJD7901801]

Saudi Arabia CS [Thomsun EN-2236]
Saudi Arabia CS [Stallions/EMI CT47901802/7-90180-4]

Spain LP [EMI 790180-1]

Turkey CS [EMI/Kent Electronics 90 180 4]

Taiwan CD [EMI 790180-2]
Taiwan CS [Rock Record CSD 3738]

Uruguay CS [EMI 501669-4]

USA CD [Sire/Reprise 9 25699-2]
USA CS [Sire/Reprise 9 25699-4]
USA LP [Sire/Reprise 9 25699-1]

Yugoslavia CS [EMI Jugoton CAHMV 9314]
Yugoslavia LP [EMI Jugoton LSHMV 73232]

Special edition:
In 1997, for the 100th anniversary of EMI, "Viva Hate" was reissued along with 99 other classic EMI albums. This new edition features alternate artwork, packaging and bonus tracks. Full details here.

Additional information:
** "Hairdresser On Fire is a bonus track on USA and Canada compact discs and cassettes only. It was also found on a bonus etched 7" (BRP-1017; view in left frame) with early copies of the Japanese LP. Some copies of the latter have a black label, others have a white one.

First Australian LPs and cassettes were titled "Education In Reverse" instead of "Viva Hate" (view in left frame).

Indonesian cassette has the cover from the "Interesting Drug" single along with the two studio tracks from it as bonus tracks.

Turkish cassette has "Alsatian Cousin" switched with "Suedehead" in the song order, making the hit single the first track on it.

Artwork information:
Morrissey, photographed by Anton Corbijn. More photos by Corbijn can be found inside the cd booklet (view in left bar). Photos of George Formby's grave were taken by Stephen Wright to be used in the artwork, but only a closeup of the clouds over the grave ended up being used, on the back of the LP and compact disc (view in left bar).

Etchings on vinyl:
"EDUCATION IN REVERSE" / none
(only on original Fame and HMV LPs, not on 1995 Parlophone reissue)

Original UK release: 14 March 1988
USA/Canada: 22 March 1988
Japan: 24 April 1988
UK Parlophone reissue: 1995, then 11 February 2002
Japanese 1998 reissue: 28 March 1998

Chart peak information:
UK: 1
Norway: 20
USA: 48

Certifications:
UK: Gold on 1 March 1988
USA: Gold on 16 November 1993

Promotion:
UK: This album was promoted with a boxset (EMI 856325-2; view in left frame) containing 2 press photos, a press release, a "Suedehead" cassette single and a four-track cd sampler. The latter sampler is numbered VHPRO1, it was also sent on its own to some radio stations. Early promotion of the album in that country was also done with the help of an advance cassette paired with a HMV press release. Later, stock LPs were distributed with a press release and stock cds were distributed with a 'MANUFACTURERS PROPERTY, NOT FOR SALE' sticker on the back.

Australia: Stock copies of the "Education In Reverse" LP with a "Sample Record for Promotional Use Only - Not For Sale" sticker on the back and a 2-page press release were used for promotion. Copies of the cassette with "Sample recording not for sale" stamped on the front were also distributed.

Brazil: A promo stamped edition of the LP was distributed for promotion. A specially pressed 12" (Parlophone 9951077) with "Suedehead" on both sides also served to promote this album.

Canada: Gold stamped copies of the LP were used to promote the album.

France: A French version of the UK promo box mentioned above was put together to promote "Viva Hate". This version doesn't include photos and the press releases are in French instead of English.

Germany: A German edition of the UK promo box mentioned above was put together to promote "Viva Hate". This version doesn't include photos and the press releases are in German instead of English.

Holland: A Dutch version of the UK promo box mentioned above was put together to promote "Viva Hate" in Holland. This has the same content as the UK box, but features an additional 2-page bio in Dutch printed on EMI Holland paper, photocopies of NME articles, a pre-release review that was placed in Oor magazine and a "Viva Hate" promo poster.

Israel: Stock copies of the LP with a promo sticker on the back were sent to radios for promotion.

Japan: LPs were sent around with a promo sticker on the album's sleeve and promo text added on the record's label. As for the stock release, some copies included a "Hairdresser On Fire" bonus 7" which, like the LP, had added promo text on the label. Prior to that, advance cassettes in a generic text sleeve were distributed to radio. The 1991 reissue of the album on cd had a promo counterpart with 'SAMPLE NOT FOR SALE' etched on the cd's inner ring.

South Africa: One-sided promo 7"s (EMI PS100) of "Suedehead" were printed for promotion of this album.

Uruguay: Some copies of the cassette were stamped and distributed for promotion.

USA: Gold stamped copies of the LP were sent to radio and record stores for promotion, occasionally paired with a Sire press kit including bio and photo. Prior to that, advance cassettes in a blue generic text inlay had been distributed to selected radios. Two one-track cds were also sent to radio in that country to promote the album. The first one featured "Suedehead" (Sire/Reprise, PRO-CD-3013; view in left frame) and the other one "Everyday Is Like Sunday" (Sire/Reprise, PRO-CD-3112; view in left frame). "Suedehead" was included on a various artists sampler cd titled "A Certain Damage volume 5" (CMJ-CD-0005). The video for "Suedehead" was included on many Warner various artists label samplers: Warner 04-14-88 (Spring 88/WB414), Warner 04-28-88 and Video Show #66, as well as an ETV compilation video and the April 1988 issue of the Rockamerica promo video series. The videos for both "Suedehead" and "Everyday Is Like Sunday" were included on a various artists sampler dated 6-18-88 (number #720). For more, see album's singles "Suedehead" and "Everyday Is Like Sunday".

Quotes:
In Februry 1988, Morrissey answered journalist Len Brown's question "Given the effect that the break-up of The Smiths has obviously had on you, have you tried to deal with your feelings in any of the tracks on Viva Hate?" with the answer "No I haven't because that would be the next expected thing to do. I don't really want to do that. I suppose, whatever way you look at Viva Hate it quite elegantly expresses the way I felt instantly post-split because as soon as The Smiths broke up I was practically wheeled into a studio to make that record. Whichever way you examine it that is post-Smiths Morrissey. But there are no bitter references to the past." This was printed in Brown's biography "Meetings With Morrissey".

Morrissey, March 1988: "Times are different and my life has moved on since The Smiths in very specific ways, and 'Viva Hate' is in no way the follow-up to 'Strangeways'. So in a sense I do feel that it is the first record."

Morrissey, March 1988, about the title: "It simply suggested itself and had to be. It was absolutely how I felt post-Smiths and the way I continue to feel. That's just the way the world is. I find hate omnipresent and love very difficult to find. Hate makes the world go round."

In an interview given to Nick Kent and published in March 1990 in The Face, Morrissey said of the release of "Viva Hate": "I feel it was more of an event than an achievement. I think the audience was simply relieved that I was still going on with living. That in itself was the celebration of Viva Hate! I've always been fiercely self-critical and... it wasn't perfect. And it wasn't better than Strangeways Here We Come! There's at least six tracks on it that I'd now willingly bury in the nearest patch of soil. And place a large stone on top."

Every Day Is Like Sunday:

Everyday Is Like Sunday
Disappointed

UK 7" [HMV POP1619]
Australia 7" [EMI EMI2098]
EEC 7" [EMI 20 2603-7]
Italy 7" [EMI 20 2603-7]
Philippines 7" [EMI 73-x-371]
Portugal 7" [EMI 20 2603-7]
Spain 7" [HMV/Hispavox 20 2603-7]
USA 7" [Sire/Reprise 9 27837-7]

Everyday Is Like Sunday
Sister I'm A Poet
Disappointed
Will Never Marry

UK CD5 [HMV CDPOP1619]
UK 12" [HMV 12POP1619]
UK CMS [HMV TCPOP1619]
Australia 12" [EMI Australia ED 352]
Canada 12" [Sire/Reprise 92 0986-0]
EEC/Holland 12" [EMI 20 2605-6]
Italy 12" [EMI/HMV 20 2605-6]
Philippines 12" [EMI EMI-38]
Spain 12" [HMV/Hispavox 20 2605-6]
USA 12" [Sire/Reprise 9 20986-0]

Artwork information:
Morrissey, photographed by Russell Young. A different photo from the same session is found on the back (view in left bar).

Etchings on vinyl:
UK 7" and 12": NINETEEN EIGHTY HATE / none

UK: 11 June 1988

Chart peak information:
UK: 9
USA: (didn't chart)

Promotion:
UK: This single was promoted by the second in a series of promo 12"s (EMI 12POPDJ1619; view in left frame) of different colours for Morrissey's first six singles. This one is slipped inside a grey sleeve. A one-track promo video was also distributed.

Australia: A one-song promo 12" of "Everyday Is Like Sunday" has been reported, but this is unconfirmed.

Brazil: A specially-pressed 12" of "Everyday Is Like Sunday" (9951093) was used for promotional purposes. It was slipped inside a generic die-cut sleeve with a title and artwork sticker in the top corner. The sleeve was available in two versions, light blue and orange/red.

Canada: Gold stamped copies of the 12" were sent to radio and record stores for promotion. A promo 7" (Sire/Reprise, 92 78377) was also specially pressed and distributed inside a generic record label sleeve, despite that single not being available in that format in Canada. Unlike the USA promo 7", this one is backed by the usual b-side "Disappointed".

Germany: Copies of the EEC 7" were sent for promotion with a 'fact sheet' in German.

Italy: Copies of the stock 12" punched with the words 'campione gratuito' were used for promotion.

South Africa: One-sided 7"s (PS103) were pressed for promotion, probably for the "Viva Hate" album because "Everyday Is Like Sunday" wasn't released as a single in that country.

Spain: Copies of the stock 7" were stamped in ink on the sleeve for promotional purposes.

USA: Gold-stamped copies of the 12" and a promo 7" (Sire/Reprise, 7-27837-A) were sent to radio for promotion of this single. The promo 7" has the title track on both sides. A one-track promo cd of "Everyday Is Like Sunday" was also sent to radio, but this item was used mainly to promote "Viva Hate" and is discussed in the latter section. The video for "Everyday Is Like Sunday" was included on a Warner various artists sampler compilation dated 6-28-88 (A80850) as well as on issue #341 of the ETV various artists promo videos series, issue 65a of the various artists Telegenics promo videos series, the August 1988 issue of the Rockamerica promo videos series and a Wolfram compilation video intended for instore play.

You DO know that Stephane didn't just delete all the information there, correct? Sure, we don't have it at the moment (apart from web archiving websites), but it's not gone forever.

You DO know that Stephane didn't just delete all the information there, correct? Sure, we don't have it at the moment (apart from web archiving websites), but it's not gone forever.

And even if it was, how many people REALLY need to know 90% of that information anyway?

And even if it was, how many people REALLY need to know 90% of that information anyway?

Eh, call me an archivist. I'm still going to try to collect it all - even for the one time this year I'll need to research Philippine pressings.

But you do understand the concept of encyclopedias right? They're filled with information you will never use, but they are useful to people now and then. PJLM is an information archive. A virtual encyclopedia on Morrissey.

Why the hate? I don't care about the 'frink' threads on this site but you won't see me hanging around those threads telling people they're wasting their time.

Really, nothappynotsad, why the hate?

Stephane

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom