Morrissey Central "Parlophone Records" (August 31, 2020)

unnamed.jpg

Parlophone Records will release a 7-inch version of Morrissey’s “That’s Entertainment” in October.
The recording is not the aborted version from 1994, but retains the original Morrissey vocal.New instrumentation and vocals have been added. The song is a cover version of the 45 issued by The Jam and written by Paul Weller.The flipside of the single is a re-mixed version of Morrissey and David Bowie dueting on Marc Bolan’s’Cosmic Dancer’. The live recording has been newly produced by Boz Boorer, and was recorded in Los Angeles.+ above photograph of Morrissey with his mother in Manchester, 1967.

Last edited by a moderator:
She looks great. I just noticed Moz is pushing down that boy's head, which practically takes him out of the shot. Little mischievous Moz.
I bet Moz even at this age has got Levi 501's & Doc Martens on to go with his smart blazer & shirt😉

Had "I know who I love" perhaps not been about a possible past relationship with a certain man, he could have made a pointed statement with a 7" release. But it is aunt EMI who is now having the old stuff recycled again, not the followers of Mercury/Island records.

I'm guessing you're referring to Jake, but not sure what you mean by 'a pointed statement'? Do you mean - Moz sort of re-purposing it as a 'screw you' to his modern detractors?

I'm guessing you're referring to Jake, but not sure what you mean by 'a pointed statement'? Do you mean - Moz sort of re-purposing it as a 'screw you' to his modern detractors?
"Trenchant" not "pointed", in reference to the love for his deceased mother. For all we know, "I know who I love" is the unpublished song that could make many of the old fans happy. Completely produced and "uplifting" like Alma Matters. The Bridgwood family can be reached on Twitter and the final version is probably really owned by the musicians of that time. I think Goddard at least got it played by Jonny B. Whether there is a silent minority otherwise: I don't know. Why should KIT and IHTWTWYAS see the light of day and a then "potential single" never get a hearing. Even Alain Whyte was recently full of praise for Boorer's work and said "It deserves a release".

I wonder if there's any point in asking Alain about the "aborted version from 1994" of That's Entertainment?

I wouldn't really be interested in re-recorded studio versions of old songs.
I'd be happy if they brought back some Kill Uncle era songs in a live setting but not necessarily as accoustic versions.
I was thinking of altered versions with a new twist. Like how the live version of Jack The Ripper on M in Manchester added vibrancy to the song. I know that wasn't accoustic. Or the way they breathed life into the live version of There Is A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends.

Let’s look at this again:

The recording is not the aborted version from 1994, but retains the original Morrissey vocal.New instrumentation and vocals have been added.

The first sentence sounds like what they’re saying is: this version will have the vocal Morrissey recorded from 1994 (unreleased), but the instrumentation will be different. But then the next sentence contradicts that by saying new vocals have been added.

Someone from the Moz camp needs to rewrite that with more clarity.

"Trenchant" not "pointed", in reference to the love for his deceased mother. For all we know, "I know who I love" is the unpublished song that could make many of the old fans happy. Completely produced and "uplifting" like Alma Matters. The Bridgwood family can be reached on Twitter and the final version is probably really owned by the musicians of that time. I think Goddard at least got it played by Jonny B. Whether there is a silent minority otherwise: I don't know. Why should KIT and IHTWTWYAS see the light of day and a then "potential single" never get a hearing. Even Alain Whyte was recently full of praise for Boorer's work and said "It deserves a release".

What’s IHTWTWYAS?

Let’s look at this again:

The recording is not the aborted version from 1994, but retains the original Morrissey vocal.New instrumentation and vocals have been added.

The first sentence sounds like what they’re saying is: this version will have the vocal Morrissey recorded from 1994 (unreleased), but the instrumentation will be different. But then the next sentence contradicts that by saying new vocals have been added.

Someone from the Moz camp needs to rewrite that with more clarity.
I took it the new vocals were new backing vocals or vocals added in addition to the "original Morrissey vocal", but it's all very cloudy.

Better to tweet ask Boz since he worked/reworked it?
Did he though? Technically the announcement only mentions Boz "newly producing" the Bowie duet.

I would think that it would be Boz out of all the band members that would be given the keys to go in and rework old songs.
I would think that as well. Just pointing out what a mess of an announcement it is.

I would think that as well. Just pointing out what a mess of an announcement it is.

mess yes. That Moz feels strongly enough about this song (a very British song) that he needs to release it because he believes it’s better than the original b-side is interesting, I mean, that it bothers him that much that he would bother.

I wonder if the new version will be more uptempo and aggressive, such as ...

mess yes. That Moz feels strongly enough about this song (a very British song) that he needs to release it because he believes it’s better than the original b-side is interesting, I mean, that it bothers him that much that he would bother.

I wonder if the new version will be more uptempo and aggressive, such as ...

I love this. But whoever is doing the admin is not doing the art justice. Too bad, really.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom