Morrissey Central "Parlophone Records" (August 31, 2020)

unnamed.jpg

Parlophone Records will release a 7-inch version of Morrissey’s “That’s Entertainment” in October.
The recording is not the aborted version from 1994, but retains the original Morrissey vocal.New instrumentation and vocals have been added. The song is a cover version of the 45 issued by The Jam and written by Paul Weller.The flipside of the single is a re-mixed version of Morrissey and David Bowie dueting on Marc Bolan’s’Cosmic Dancer’. The live recording has been newly produced by Boz Boorer, and was recorded in Los Angeles.+ above photograph of Morrissey with his mother in Manchester, 1967.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 58752

Parlophone Records will release a 7-inch version of Morrissey’s “That’s Entertainment” in October.
The recording is not the aborted version from 1994, but retains the original Morrissey vocal.New instrumentation and vocals have been added. The song is a cover version of the 45 issued by The Jam and written by Paul Weller.The flipside of the single is a re-mixed version of Morrissey and David Bowie dueting on Marc Bolan’s’Cosmic Dancer’. The live recording has been newly produced by Boz Boorer, and was recorded in Los Angeles.+ above photograph of Morrissey with his mother in Manchester, 1967.

another weird release. then again, always nice to see a new photo.

another weird release. then again, always nice to see a new photo.
Definitely one to be filed under 'unexpected.' I suppose one can infer from what's written above that there was an aborted studio recording of 'That's Entertainment?'

Where is remastered Ringleader

Surely 1991 and not 1994?
Nice to see a new pic of his mum - the black hair suited her,

I never even knew there was an 'aborted' attempt at re-recording this in 1994. Was this going to be another B Side for one of the 'Vauxhall' singles?

Presumably, Jim Moir will be surgically removed...

Surely 1991 and not 1994?
Morrissey or his official blurb writer (Sam?) seems to think that 'Fantastic Bird' was recorded during the 'Southpaw Grammar' sessions, so it might just be that his knowledge of recording dates is ever so slightly crap. Either that, or there was genuinely another version attempted that no-one has heard about in 94?

Several things are puzzling about this message. The cover version was originally recorded at the end of the Kill Uncle sessions and was used as a b-side to Sing Your Life, so not sure what "the aborted version from 1994" is.

Morrissey also called his own version "worthless" in 1992, so it's surprising he'd be interested in re-releasing it (sort of...?).

"It was a completely worthless version. I wanted to make it different from the original, but maybe I shouldn't have tried that. The original is a classic and Paul Weller is, when he wants to be, a genius."

Presumably, Jim Moir will be surgically removed...

He didn't actually contribute to the recording though, or did he? Thought he was only mentioned on the sleeve.

He didn't actually contribute to the recording though, or did he? Thought he was only mentioned on the sleeve.

He is in the backing vocals somewhere, í believe.

But í remember reading a couple of accounts of Vic & Moz's meeting at Hook End, from both sides, and it sounded spectacularly awkward & awful.
í always assumed the Jim Moir credit was a gentle dig, as in those early days Vic didn't like his real name to be known.
Moz thought him a very funny man, until he met him.
í get the feeling that he liked Mr Mortimer very much more.

It's a haunting version. í far prefer it to Weller's.

He is in the backing vocals somewhere, í believe.

But í remember reading a couple of accounts of Vic & Moz's meeting at Hook End, from both sides, and it sounded spectacularly awkward & awful.
í always assumed the Jim Moir credit was a gentle dig, as in those early days Vic didn't like his real name to be known.
Moz thought him a very funny man, until he met him.
í get the feeling that he liked Mr Mortimer very much more.

It's a haunting version. í far prefer it to Weller's.

I remember reading about both Reeves and Mortimer visiting during the Kill Uncle sessions and Morrissey going to bed early, leaving them with Clive Langer and Cathal Smyth but I thought none of their fooling around recorded that night made it on any release.

And yes, I also love his version. Especially the sample at the beginning and end. (Apparently it's supposed to be a train? It always made me think of an empty roundabout for some reason.)

í always heard it, and shall always hear it, as a ruler being 'pinged' while trapped in a desk. The sound of my youth...

Fits in with the whole dank office ennui.

Another Moz audio Rorschach?

Morrissey also called his own version "worthless" in 1992, so it's surprising he'd be interested in re-releasing it (sort of...?).

"It was a completely worthless version. I wanted to make it different from the original, but maybe I shouldn't have tried that. The original is a classic and Paul Weller is, when he wants to be, a genius."
And yet, he chose it for the 'Suedehead - Best Of' compilation album in 1997?!? Talk about a flip-flop of opinion, from worthless to best of!

The live version was a lot different - maybe in 94 they tried re-doing it in a rockier version, and it just didn't work out. I'm not sure how you can described the track issued in 1991 as 'aborted', when it actually came out.

Square image... so that’s the front cover?

Why this song when so many others fit better?

And yet, he chose it for the 'Suedehead - Best Of' compilation album in 1997?!? Talk about a flip-flop of opinion, from worthless to best of!

The live version was a lot different - maybe in 94 they tried re-doing it in a rockier version, and it just didn't work out. I'm not sure how you can described the track issued in 1991 as 'aborted', when it actually came out.
As far as I know he had nothing to do with the "Suedehead" compilation. EMI released it without his blessing, I think?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom