Paris - Salle Pleyel (March 9, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Our Frank / I Wish You Lonely / Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before / Jim Jim Falls / Rebels Without Applause / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Girlfriend In A Coma / Irish Blood, English Heart / Knockabout World / The Loop / The Bullfighter Dies / Without Music The World Dies / Every Day Is Like Sunday / Istanbul / The Night Pop Dropped / Half A Person / Please Please Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Trouble Loves Me / Jack The Ripper // Sweet & Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of @Mozzer1980 & FWD - confirmed by Buddy T

Last edited:
What do you think the gammon means by this:

“you live in, maybe, the most beautiful city in the world, maybe, maybe and your country is irreplaceable and you should hold on to it because if it goes you will never get it back, never get it back, that’s right don’t push me.”

Another extreme right wing dog whistle? He couldn't be talking of the Great Replacement Theory could he? He couldn't be! ... Could he?
Oh here come the great unwashed

What do you think the gammon means by this:

“you live in, maybe, the most beautiful city in the world, maybe, maybe and your country is irreplaceable and you should hold on to it because if it goes you will never get it back, never get it back, that’s right don’t push me.”

Another extreme right wing dog whistle? He couldn't be talking of the Great Replacement Theory could he? He couldn't be! ... Could he?
We’ll have to wait and listen to Notre Dame on the album to see if this implication is borne out

Un concert de morrissey c'est debout dans la fosse ou ce n'est pas 😉
...Ben cesrapa alors.
un concert de Morrissey dans une fosse commune, on se lèvera pas non plus.
Another extreme right wing dog whistle?
:LOL: Tout le monde s'en bat lec de ce que pépé pense quand il est en goguette à l'Etranger avec son p'tit foulard de vieille rombière pour pas attraper froid. Doit y avoir 2 céfran à tout casser dans la salle.:ROFLMAO:

Half this setlist is absolutely rubbish.
Uneventful and lazy....who's asking for bullfighter, Istanbul, and new album boring songs...why not make everyone happy and add Heaven Knows, Ordinary Boys, There is a place, Just haven't earned, and dare say Now my heart is full....that would bring the house down...no way this happens though..keep playing boring overpriced gigs.

To answer on the crowd coldness. Parisians are notorious in general in France for their coldness (because they live in a city as dense as New Delhi? because the working class is thrown away since the the late 1970s?). I remember Madonna and the Boss working hard to warm up a parisian crowd. A St Cloud crowd for Acrtic Monkeys was wild thanks to drunken Brits and Irish. Still I'd give an excuse for the Grand Rex WPINOYB gig : it happened in a movie theatre. But aggravating factor might be the current tickets prices that might be a turn off for poorer, younger fans who might have been more actors than spectators in the gig. And not every French 1980s indie rock fans has an upper middle class situation.

Still I think there's been a missed rendez-vous between France and The Smiths. The existence of the band was short, they just played twice in Paris at an early stage of their career (long b4 their 1986 live peak). Part of the institutional rock press attacked them as a trendy phenomenon just like they did for any NME loved band. A newspaper (les Inrocks) had to be founded to defend them. Plus you coudn't discover the band through mainstream TV or radios. You juste discovered it through a friend who had been in the UK (and very often after their split). Plus, even if their work had been more accessible, the place of the non macho rock band talking directly to teenagers was already taken by the Cure.

Early 1990s favorites of the indie crowd were luckier. You could see them in the very popular talk show Nulle Part Ailleurs (who hosted a very popular French version of spitting images). NPA was the first French TV for Nirvana, Oasis, Jeff Buckley and Suede. Even if they were confidential in France, a Smiths-like fervor developed for Suede. The fervor I saw for the Moz at Brixton is the one I witnessed for Suede at the Olympia, Cigale and recently... Salle Pleyel. A frenzy that existed for Morrissey gigs in Paris only round the Kill Uncle and Yout Arsenal tour (because most of the crowd was in theur 20s? because tickets were cheaper?).

Pour répondre sur la froideur de la foule. Les Parisiens sont en général connus en France pour leur froideur (parce qu'ils vivent dans une ville aussi dense que New Delhi ? parce que la classe ouvrière est jetée depuis la fin des années 1970 ?). Je me souviens de Madonna et du Boss travaillant dur pour réchauffer une foule parisienne. Une foule de St Cloud pour Acrtic Monkeys était folle grâce à des Britanniques et des Irlandais ivres. Je donnerais quand même une excuse pour le concert de Grand Rex WPINOYB : ça s'est passé dans une salle de cinéma. Mais le facteur aggravant pourrait être le prix actuel des billets qui pourrait décourager les fans plus pauvres et plus jeunes qui auraient pu être plus acteurs que spectateurs du concert. Et tous les fans de rock indépendant français des années 1980 n'appartiennent pas à la classe moyenne supérieure.

Je pense quand même qu'il y a eu un rendez-vous manqué entre la France et les Smiths. L'existence du groupe a été courte, ils ont juste joué deux fois à Paris au début de leur carrière (long b4 leur pic live de 1986). Une partie de la presse rock institutionnelle les a attaqués comme un phénomène à la mode, comme ils l'ont fait pour n'importe quel groupe aimé de NME. Un journal (les Inrocks) a dû être fondé pour les défendre. De plus, vous ne pouviez pas découvrir le groupe à travers la télévision ou les radios grand public. Vous venez de le découvrir par l'intermédiaire d'un ami qui a été au Royaume-Uni (et très souvent après leur séparation). De plus, même si leur travail avait été plus accessible, la place du groupe de rock non macho s'adressant directement aux ados était déjà prise par les Cure.

Les favoris du public indépendant du début des années 1990 ont eu plus de chance. Vous avez pu les voir dans le très populaire talk-show Nulle Part Ailleurs (qui a animé une version française très populaire d'images crachées). NPA a été la première télévision française pour Nirvana, Oasis, Jeff Buckley et Suede. Même s'ils étaient confidentiels en France, une ferveur à la Smiths s'est développée pour Suede. La ferveur que j'ai vue pour le Moz à Brixton est celle que j'ai vue pour Suede à l'Olympia, à la Cigale et récemment... Salle Pleyel. Une frénésie qui n'existait pour les concerts de Morrissey à Paris qu'autour de la tournée Kill Uncle and Yout Arsenal (parce que la plupart des gens étaient dans la vingtaine ? parce que les billets étaient moins chers ?).
Hello tu a dit la vérité, en 1984 c'était de la folie pour ceux qui ont vu les Smiths à l'éldorado et les début du Moz en solo maintenant il a notre âge, on l'aime toujours autant mais pas de la même manière qu'avant plus introspective voilà.. mais les deux concerts à Paris m'ont permis que je l'aime vraiment encore et c'est le principal !

Hello tu a dit la vérité, en 1984 c'était de la folie pour ceux qui ont vu les Smiths à l'éldorado et les début du Moz en solo maintenant il a notre âge, on l'aime toujours autant mais pas de la même manière qu'avant plus introspective voilà.. mais les deux concerts à Paris m'ont permis que je l'aime vraiment encore et c'est le principal !
For the supposed "1984 crowd madness at the El Dorado first French Smiths gig" I know someone who was there and I don't have the same version as you do. The crowd was a very trendy/hipster crowd, looking at the "new UK trendy band", a vety cold one. Plus the release of the first record was very recent, band didn't have much songs yet so they did Barbarism begins at home twice. The concert got legendary just because they only played once in France aftewards, still in Paris with Rita Mitsuko as supporting band. And because of the small piece un late 1980s TV program Les Enfants du rock with 1) Morrissey asked if he'd choose Clint Eastwood or Jean Marais for his next single cover. 2) Morrissey and Marr dancing at the and of Barbarism. On the contrary, I know people who were at the Kill Uncle Elysée Montmartre gig and the Beethoven was deaf gig and it was frenzy.

j'y était aussi mais on ne peut pas comparer les deux concerts, pour un français comme moi l'eldorado était fantastique j'avais 18 ans et c'était unique ! à ce moment le seul regret c'est de ne pas les avoir vu en 86 car c'était le top.

Et puis nous somme Français on ne montre très peu nos émotions souvent on garde tout à l'intérieur
C'est comme cela.. L'émotion rend pudique..

Et puis nous somme Français on ne montre très peu nos émotions souvent on garde tout à l'intérieur
C'est comme cela.. L'émotion rend pudique..
The supposed French culture of restraining emotions might be true for Paris but not for the part of France I was born in (mediterranean South-East)

Release Beethoven was deaf too.
If the concert was recorded with a decent technical material, I really hope someday someone will spend money in restoring it and release it on DVD/Blu-ray. Released videos of the Kill Uncle and Vauxhall era do exist, not of the Your Arsenal tour, unless someone tells me I'm wrong.

Uneventful and lazy....who's asking for bullfighter, Istanbul, and new album boring songs...why not make everyone happy and add Heaven Knows, Ordinary Boys, There is a place, Just haven't earned, and dare say Now my heart is full....that would bring the house down...no way this happens though..keep playing boring overpriced gigs.
I asked for Istanbul and I got it, babe. I loved it.

Last edited:
I think it's extremely weird that people complain about the set lists. He's entitled to play what he wants from his very long and very good songbook. There aren't that many duds and if there is a song you don't like, you can go have a pee pee in the bathroom. Thats what I do when Jim Jim Falls comes on!

Istanbul is one of the sexiest songs he's ever written. I am totally turned on by it, and please nobody tell him, or it will go right to his gigantic head!

Last edited:
I think it's extremely weird that people complain about the set lists. He's entitled to play what he wants from his very long and very long songbook. There aren't that many duds and if there is a song you don't like, you can go have a pee pee in the bathroom. Thats what I do when Jim Jim Falls comes on!

Istanbul is one of the sexiest songs he's ever written. I am totally turned on by it, and please nobody tell him, or it will go right to his gigantic head!
Yes... the olde... I’m not happy with the set list shit....
To be fair he spiced things up over the last 5-6 years..
It did get a bit stale for a while but now I think he’s got a great set of songs. Half a person is great to hear

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom