Paris - Salle Pleyel (March 8, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Our Frank / Alma Matters / I Wish You Lonely / Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before / Rebels Without Applause / Jim Jim Falls / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Knockabout World / The Loop / I Am Veronica / Without Music The World Dies (live debut) / Let Me Kiss You / The Bullfighter Dies / The Night Pop Dropped (live debut) / Istanbul / Trouble Loves Me / Half A Person / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist courtesy of: @Like_Elvis_In_The_Movies, @Mozzer1980, Twitter, setlist.fm & FWD.

Last edited:
In France, dressing nicely is condsidered good manners. Morrissey seems to have settled into this current look of souvenir T-shirt with mis-matched and ill-fitting jacket and trousers, and I expect he is comfortable, but if he turned up for an evening date with me in a smart place in Paris looking like that I would be embarrased. It's a shame when he is looking slim and fit too. Maybe he does feel too old and tired to be an icon anymore, but I don't think a little more effort is too much to ask.
I like that look a lot. Not smart casual but smart mixed with casual. I think it suits his schtick down to a tee (pun intended or not).

Among other things:

Named few French artists names - Arletty, Françoise Hardy, Claude Brasseur and others and finished by « I loved them all », and then started Rebels without applause.

Mentioned Tuesday’s protests and « how little people ask for and still are ignored by the government ».

Introduced the recording of the new album in Saint Remy, “in your irreplaceable country”.

The funniest/J.K. Rowling moment: “You don’t have to be ashamed if you’re a woman. You don’t have to be ashamed if you’re a man. These will be back in fashion soon. Just watch”.

After Istanbul, something like “believe it or not, but you can’t buy these last songs, you can’t. Tell me about censorship”.

Also: eventually, in your life, it will happen, you stop being interested in sexual activities, yes, you will. It happened to me when was sixteen and it became this song” and starts Half a Person.

A lot of other little chats.
Appreciated. Nice to find out what was said. Share again if you think of any more bon mots please. ✨

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Our Frank / Alma Matters / I Wish You Lonely / Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before / Rebels Without Applause / Jim Jim Falls / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Knockabout World / The Loop / I Am Veronica / Without Music The World Dies (live debut) / Let Me Kiss You / The Bullfighter Dies / The Night Pop Dropped (live debut) / Istanbul / Trouble Loves Me / Half A Person / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist courtesy of: @Like_Elvis_In_The_Movies, @Mozzer1980, Twitter, setlist.fm & FWD.

This setlist is path of least resistance, dull and unimaginative.

I swore at Morrissey in 1994.
HMV Vauxhall signing, we were among the last to get let through as he had clearly had enough after a few hours signing.
10 years my hero, so excited to meet him and tell him I loved him etc and when I passed him my LP, he looked up at me and what did I say?
‘I bet you’re f****d’, it just fell out of my mouth, I was mortified.
He just smiled and said ‘Extremely’ .
Never meet your heroes.
honesty is always the best policy.do you still have your signed lp.

After the excellent setlists at last year's London shows, I am now in two minds whether to buy a ticket for Hammersmith.

Having attended many shows in 2014/15, the idea of hearing "Bullfighter" again sends shivers down my spine. Of course some people want to hear "I Wish You Lonely", "Jim Jim", but, for me, there are better options. The setlist seems to start relatively well, then follows a large section of second-tier songs (bar a few), and then ends on a high. Perhaps I'm too picky!

On the new songs, "Without Music" is relatively fun and enjoyable, especially musically, and the last line about being on your deathbed is not bad, but "they can't even govern themselves" is lazy and now an overdone Morrissey theme - there seems to be less and less effort put into the lyrics.

Anyway, I am interested to see what set changes there are for tonight's show, if any.
we will never know when these lyrics were written,without music words could have been in his drawer for years,everything wasnt written testerday.

Cool move to premier the more exotic talents of Gustavo and Jesse, when everyone is waiting for Sunny II. He never had a good timing. "A lightning strike" postponed.
if your waiting for sunny 2 you are going to be waiting a long time,M and alain moved on a long time ago.

People praising the new stuff, I think, are mostly trying to will greatness into existence.
They’re not great, brilliant or “catchy af” - they’re just… alright.
Par for the course for Morrissey these days. Fine to listen to for a few days when/if the new album comes out, then never revisit again until they randomly pop up on shuffle one day.

Well, I, for one, have had Without Music, The World Dies going ‘round & ‘round in my head all day. I love the guitar part, & the overall sound of it really takes me back to classic Moz of ‘91. The chorus is indeed catchy as f***, & the melody of the verses has been firmly lodged in my memory after just a few plays of the videos on this thread. The lyrical themes might be familiar to Moz fans but they are how Morrissey feels so what else do you expect him to express? Somebody else’s feelings? Most songs ever written are about loving or losing a woman; so are all songs just pointless rehashes? Of course not.

Morrissey might not be writing the greatest lyrics of his life but as long as he keeps delivering catchy, original songs like this, I’ll keep listening, buying & enjoying his records.

if your waiting for sunny 2 you are going to be waiting a long time,M and alain moved on a long time ago.
"Sunny" was played in 2018 and 2019. Not that long ago.

I swore at Morrissey in 1994.
HMV Vauxhall signing, we were among the last to get let through as he had clearly had enough after a few hours signing.
10 years my hero, so excited to meet him and tell him I loved him etc and when I passed him my LP, he looked up at me and what did I say?
‘I bet you’re f****d’, it just fell out of my mouth, I was mortified.
He just smiled and said ‘Extremely’ .
Never meet your heroes.

I was there too. When i went upto meet him....I could barely open my mouth. He just asked who I wanted it signed to...just about got my own name out. Not good with celebs.

I was there too. When i went upto meet him....I could barely open my mouth. He just asked who I wanted it signed to...just about got my own name out. Not good with celebs.
Ridiculous isn’t it, but he has that presence, I never got as far as realising he wanted my name, never mind, fantastic day, fantastic album

Applause should be earned, especially when you pay good money to see a bore fest like this. They didn't applaud because the new songs stink, pretty simple.
I meant before the song started.....not after! NO excitement in hearing a world premiere of a song by Morrissey is strange. Why are you there?

This has probably been said here already (I can't read all 13 pages at the moment), but it's incredible to me he doesn't perform Throwing My Arms Around Paris while performing in Paris! The crowd would explode.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom