Paris - Salle Pleyel (March 8, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Our Frank / Alma Matters / I Wish You Lonely / Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before / Rebels Without Applause / Jim Jim Falls / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Knockabout World / The Loop / I Am Veronica / Without Music The World Dies (live debut) / Let Me Kiss You / The Bullfighter Dies / The Night Pop Dropped (live debut) / Istanbul / Trouble Loves Me / Half A Person / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist courtesy of: @Like_Elvis_In_The_Movies, @Mozzer1980, Twitter, setlist.fm & FWD.

Last edited:
Ive created a playlist, I will add the other songs if they get uploaded, and replace the current ones if better quality ones appear.

After the excellent setlists at last year's London shows, I am now in two minds whether to buy a ticket for Hammersmith.

Having attended many shows in 2014/15, the idea of hearing "Bullfighter" again sends shivers down my spine. Of course some people want to hear "I Wish You Lonely", "Jim Jim", but, for me, there are better options. The setlist seems to start relatively well, then follows a large section of second-tier songs (bar a few), and then ends on a high. Perhaps I'm too picky!

On the new songs, "Without Music" is relatively fun and enjoyable, especially musically, and the last line about being on your deathbed is not bad, but "they can't even govern themselves" is lazy and now an overdone Morrissey theme - there seems to be less and less effort put into the lyrics.

Anyway, I am interested to see what set changes there are for tonight's show, if any.

Last edited:
Possible lyrics The Night Pop Dropped, just one line which is unclear. The chorus ('so sad for me') is absolutely gorgeous):

Remembering the night pop dropped
The bars went dry, and the dancers stopped
He held her firm ‘til the last ?****?
How empty our lives would be
If we had never known, if we had never known

How empty life would be, if we had never known
So sad for me, for us, so sad for the universe

Pop rolled, and raged and roared
No taboo on booze and such
No taboo on very much

And the girls at the back door sang high
And the boys at the back door sang low

[guitar & funky musical section]

He said the best thing you can do is be yourself
The best thing you can do is just be yourself
The best thing you can do is be yourself
Thank you! It's hardly poetry, is it, but I absolutely adore this song already and it would sound AMAZING on Radio 2 in the spring/summer...

Thanks for doing these lyrics. A few lines I hear differently: the second line sounds like it starts 'The bars ran dry'; the fourth line sounds like it starts 'He held us firm' and then I'm not sure about the rest of the line, maybe 'til the last sun-warm' if that makes sense; then line three in the second verse sounds to me like 'No taboo on booze and touch'.

Possible lyrics The Night Pop Dropped, just one line which is unclear. The chorus ('so sad for me') is absolutely gorgeous):

The bars went dry, and the dancers stopped
He held her firm ‘til the last ?****?

How empty life would be, if we had never known

Pop rolled, and raged and roared
No taboo on booze and such
No taboo on very much

And the girls at the back door sang high
And the boys at the back door sang low

[guitar & funky musical section]

He said the best thing you can do is be yourself
The best thing you can do is be yourself
Thank you :) Maybe you should put both lyrics in a separate thread ... it would be easier to find them, complete them, comment etc etc

"Anyway, I am interested to see what set changes there are for tonight's show, if any."

I'd happily "sacrifice" the World Peace tracks and hear more from Vauxhall or Arsenal.

Starting a gig with "You're gonna need", guitars turned up to 11, a real gusset ripper.

Ive created a playlist, I will add the other songs if they get uploaded, and replace the current ones if better quality ones appear.

From what I know (not being at the gig), the highlights for me are of course two new songs , Istanbul , Trouble Loves Me and Jim Jim Falls . Absolutely stunning moments of first Paris Night .

Heavy 70s US-Funk: Uncle Joe must be very glad, that musically, Morrissey is exploring yet again more uncommon ground on his great comeback album. Expect nothing less than LIHS Deluxe Edition II.

Musically and dynamically, the new title track resembles the last one.

Pop is definitely 70s US funk, but the studio version could go either way, depending on Uncle Joe's treatment: it could be Jacky Part 2 (blah in the extreme), or it could sound more like it does in this performance, with the guitars more up front, stepping back for the delightful keyboard solo. The only thing it's missing is a really tasty guitar riff for an intro, but I can't complain too much. I think the current line-up is more dynamic when it comes to this stuff. In his roots at least, Alain Whyte is rockist.

The Ezra Pound backdrop will be a red flag for any big-money investors considering signing Morrissey as he was a fascist and anti-semite. Anne Sexton was accused of sexual abuse of her daughter and others. Here's a suggestion for future tours: how about promoting decent people, or using iconic images of Morrissey himself and quoting his own words?

No, I don't like the idea of Morrissey being calculating in order to play it safe & get investors. Pound did at least renounce his anti-Semitism. But it's better to make the statement, incidentally, that artists are complicated. If he stuck simply to "decent people," he wouldn't have much of a gallery to choose from. "I have spent my whole life in ruins | because of people who are nice."

Pop is definitely 70s US funk, but the studio version could go either way, depending on Uncle Joe's treatment: it could be Jacky Part 2 (blah in the extreme), or it could sound more like it does in this performance, with the guitars more up front, stepping back for the delightful keyboard solo. The only thing it's missing is a really tasty guitar riff for an intro, but I can't complain too much. I think the current line-up is more dynamic when it comes to this stuff. In his roots at least, Alain Whyte is rockist.
The way he prances around in his pointy little shoes and baggy jeans to sweaty US funk at the age of almost 64: who would have expected that after his stylish comeback in 2004-2006? This music doesn't speak a word to me. It has no magic @ all. To my ears, the title song has the same dramaturgy as IANADOAC and serves the same clichés lyrically for the umpteenth time. Sure, he himself thinks it's a milestone but he won't make up any ground with it.

The new songs are so blase, just like everything he has released over the last ten or so years. This is why he has no record deal, nor any interest in one (along with the fact that nobody would touch him anyways).

No, I don't like the idea of Morrissey being calculating in order to play it safe & get investors. Pound did at least renounce his anti-Semitism. But it's better to make the statement, incidentally, that artists are complicated. If he stuck simply to "decent people," he wouldn't have much of a gallery to choose from. "I have spent my whole life in ruins | because of people who are nice."
I believe Pound's renunciation of antisemitism is denied by some, and it even if he did come to regret his extreme prejudice, he held it for many decades and is well known for it today. Of course, it is Morrissey's choice, but from a fan's point of view it is depressing at this stage that he could well be alienating any future sponsors of his recordings. As for decent people, this brings me to another thought: using the images of dead artists and other icons without their known approval seems impertinent to me. And for someone who says he doesn't like people ('to be honest') how come nearly every backdrop image Morrissey uses features other people? There are plenty of other animals around you know, not to mention a whole universe of interesting images!

Anyone got any idea what's written on his badge?
Screenshot_20230309_143330_Discord.jpg
Screenshot_20230309_143408_Discord.jpg

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom