Paris - Salle Pleyel (March 8, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Our Frank / Alma Matters / I Wish You Lonely / Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before / Rebels Without Applause / Jim Jim Falls / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Knockabout World / The Loop / I Am Veronica / Without Music The World Dies (live debut) / Let Me Kiss You / The Bullfighter Dies / The Night Pop Dropped (live debut) / Istanbul / Trouble Loves Me / Half A Person / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist courtesy of: @Like_Elvis_In_The_Movies, @Mozzer1980, Twitter, setlist.fm & FWD.

Last edited:
On that evidence, 'Pop' seems to be another semi-interesting piece of music that he's forgotten to write a lyric for.

Yes, on first impression, unfortunately the music on Pop is slightly better than the lyrics & vocal lines. Definite touches of 70s California cocaine rock, like the Eagles' Life in the Fast Lane. Also a hint of Johnny Marr's funk on Money Changes Everything. It's got an effortless groove that's missing on the drab attempts at dance music on Low in High School and Dog on a Chain. Maybe the lyrics and the vocal melody will grow on me.

Without Music is very good. Based on these two, the latest batch could be a winner crop indeed. And no Andrew Watt production to worry about.

Last edited:
I groaned hearing "you don't have to send your kids to school". I love getting advice about children from non-parents. What's the alternative: home school the kids, lose your job, and consign them to destitution in a carefree Oliver Twist musical?
We didn't home school my son , we have home schooled my daughter .

People have this 1980s idea of what it's like .
Home schooling is the way of the future.

'The night popped dropped' may well be one of the worst songs Morrissey has ever sung. I love Morrissey. I write as someone who has seen him tour all over the world, who would dream about new songs but this song is hell, I truly had to stop listening to it half way through and the other new one is almost as unlistenable. Does he not realize himself how awful this is?

The crowd at tonight's concert seemed as if they were barely alive and breathing.

How could people who like Morrissey enough to pay to see him and travel to the venue in order to experience his concert, all of their own volition one assumes, then act as if they were all trapped, against their wills, in a silent, dark and empty void- hearing, seeing, feeling nothing- as if Morrissey where not right there, immediately in front of them all, singing his beautiful heart out to his wonderfully emotional songs? I don't quite understand this reaction.

But then, I don't quite understand the manner in which most humans behave, especially during certain matters or in response to particular situations. Beings from my planet behave in an altogether different manners during almost all occasions. I am confused and confounded by you earth humans, especially those in this particular audience.

Oh well. It isn't the first time and won't be the last, and who cares anyway about a thing I have to say? To each his own, live and let live, and all that crap, I suppose. 🙃
Because as strange as it sounds most people are afraid to enjoy themselves or more accurately they're afraid to be seen to be enjoying themselves.

I don't know if these got posted, tag me if they did and you want me to take them down

Very nice. Brought back many other previous Paris concert memories. Very nice, and very nicely done. Good luck with the rest. Good luck with everything

I'm so happy that Istanbul returned! Can't wait to hear more songs from Without Music The World Dies.

In France, dressing nicely is condsidered good manners. Morrissey seems to have settled into this current look of souvenir T-shirt with mis-matched and ill-fitting jacket and trousers, and I expect he is comfortable, but if he turned up for an evening date with me in a smart place in Paris looking like that I would be embarrased. It's a shame when he is looking slim and fit too. Maybe he does feel too old and tired to be an icon anymore, but I don't think a little more effort is too much to ask.

Videos and little titbits on Twitter, Instagram etc. sound fantastic. Top-notch form-both he and his band. New songs remind me of WPINOYB era. Hope its faith will differ from that...

In France, dressing nicely is condsidered good manners. Morrissey seems to have settled into this current look of souvenir T-shirt with mis-matched and ill-fitting jacket and trousers, and I expect he is comfortable, but if he turned up for an evening date with me in a smart place in Paris looking like that I would be embarrased. It's a shame when he is looking slim and fit too. Maybe he does feel too old and tired to be an icon anymore, but I don't think a little more effort is too much to ask.

Comfort ≥ dressing for other people's approval.

On that evidence, 'Pop' seems to be another semi-interesting piece of music that he's forgotten to write a lyric for.

Sort of feel sorry for him now. He's clearly decided that there's nothing else for him in life beyond churning out songs from a lyrical well that's so dry, the stones are cracking.

No mum, no children, no causes really left to fight and a partner he doesn't feel comfortable walking within two metres of in public.

Let's hope that both unreleased albums have hidden gems that he's kept from performing so far.
How do you know he has a partner? 😯

It's certainly got a rockabilly rhythm like 'Vicar' but I think that's where the similarity ends. Some great melodic guitar lines.
I normally hope for at least 5 brilliant songs (to me at least) at a Morrissey concert, and in that setlist there's 12 so I'd say it's a good one. The worse thing is that the horrible Telephone song is in there. Glad to see Our Frank still included.
Our Frank has always been boring. Telephone is fun and immediate.

Yeah mate , it sounds like Jesse for sure , if you are talking about Without Music. It's got
his Cajon riffs - which date back to our johnny on the Strangeways LP and his love for the song Shoes.

Pop is ok as well.

The words themselves on both songs do not seem that great .
It seems like on Without Music he has just fecking expanded on his usual *being a pop star is better than anything else * childish as feck BS.
Music is great to me and it is for him but not for everyone .
Lots of people could not give two shits about pop stars these days . Lots would prefer to be Chris Rock to M
I think M has to believe whatever he has or does is the best . If anything challenges this he falls to bits . Very insecure .
Most people do not really want to be pop stars or make music most like just heating it Some of us are obsessive but we still don't want to be pop stars or we would have tried .

His voice is fire as always
Gustavo wrote the music for Without Music, Jesse wrote the music for Pop dropped

Sort of feel sorry for him now. He's clearly decided that there's nothing else for him in life beyond churning out songs from a lyrical well that's so dry, the stones are cracking.

No mum, no children, no causes really left to fight and a partner he doesn't feel comfortable walking within two metres of in public.

Let's hope that both unreleased albums have hidden gems that he's kept from performing so far.
A harsh but fair assessment

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom