Paris - Salle Pleyel (March 8, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Our Frank / Alma Matters / I Wish You Lonely / Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before / Rebels Without Applause / Jim Jim Falls / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Knockabout World / The Loop / I Am Veronica / Without Music The World Dies (live debut) / Let Me Kiss You / The Bullfighter Dies / The Night Pop Dropped (live debut) / Istanbul / Trouble Loves Me / Half A Person / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist courtesy of: @Like_Elvis_In_The_Movies, @Mozzer1980, Twitter, setlist.fm & FWD.

Last edited:
In France, dressing nicely is condsidered good manners. Morrissey seems to have settled into this current look of souvenir T-shirt with mis-matched and ill-fitting jacket and trousers, and I expect he is comfortable, but if he turned up for an evening date with me in a smart place in Paris looking like that I would be embarrased. It's a shame when he is looking slim and fit too. Maybe he does feel too old and tired to be an icon anymore, but I don't think a little more effort is too much to ask.
at least the white sweatpants are not back

But we still haven’t heard any of the Alain co-writes. And these songs are exactly the reason why people have higher hopes for this album.
Cool move to premier the more exotic talents of Gustavo and Jesse, when everyone is waiting for Sunny II. He never had a good timing. "A lightning strike" postponed.

What did he say?
Among other things:

Named few French artists names - Arletty, Françoise Hardy, Claude Brasseur and others and finished by « I loved them all », and then started Rebels without applause.

Mentioned Tuesday’s protests and « how little people ask for and still are ignored by the government ».

Introduced the recording of the new album in Saint Remy, “in your irreplaceable country”.

The funniest/J.K. Rowling moment: “You don’t have to be ashamed if you’re a woman. You don’t have to be ashamed if you’re a man. These will be back in fashion soon. Just watch”.

After Istanbul, something like “believe it or not, but you can’t buy these last songs, you can’t. Tell me about censorship”.

Also: eventually, in your life, it will happen, you stop being interested in sexual activities, yes, you will. It happened to me when was sixteen and it became this song” and starts Half a Person.

A lot of other little chats.

Heavy 70s US-Funk: Uncle Joe must be very glad, that musically, Morrissey is exploring yet again more uncommon ground on his great comeback album. Expect nothing less than LIHS Deluxe Edition II.

Musically and dynamically, the new title track resembles the last one.

Last edited:
The crowd at tonight's concert seemed as if they were barely alive and breathing.

How could people who like Morrissey enough to pay to see him and travel to the venue in order to experience his concert, all of their own volition one assumes, then act as if they were all trapped, against their wills, in a silent, dark and empty void- hearing, seeing, feeling nothing- as if Morrissey where not right there, immediately in front of them all, singing his beautiful heart out to his wonderfully emotional songs? I don't quite understand this reaction.

But then, I don't quite understand the manner in which most humans behave, especially during certain matters or in response to particular situations. Beings from my planet behave in an altogether different manners during almost all occasions. I am confused and confounded by you earth humans, especially those in this particular audience.

Oh well. It isn't the first time and won't be the last, and who cares anyway about a thing I have to say? To each his own, live and let live, and all that crap, I suppose. 🙃
There are others, did you know?

The crowd at tonight's concert seemed as if they were barely alive and breathing.

How could people who like Morrissey enough to pay to see him and travel to the venue in order to experience his concert, all of their own volition one assumes, then act as if they were all trapped, against their wills, in a silent, dark and empty void- hearing, seeing, feeling nothing- as if Morrissey where not right there, immediately in front of them all, singing his beautiful heart out to his wonderfully emotional songs? I don't quite understand this reaction.

But then, I don't quite understand the manner in which most humans behave, especially during certain matters or in response to particular situations. Beings from my planet behave in an altogether different manners during almost all occasions. I am confused and confounded by you earth humans, especially those in this particular audience.

Oh well. It isn't the first time and won't be the last, and who cares anyway about a thing I have to say? To each his own, live and let live, and all that crap, I suppose. 🙃
i was at the seating places, of course everybody was standing, but when looked around it looked like i am the only one dancing and singing there, but the audience was pretty old, good thing was, i felt young again between them 😂

and yet more than half of American adults are at/below a sixth grade reading level... makes you wonder what all this schooling is meant for
More than half of Americans voted for Trump in 2016. Makes you wonder how humans swung to the top branch of the evolutionary tree.

It's certainly got a rockabilly rhythm like 'Vicar' but I think that's where the similarity ends. Some great melodic guitar lines.
I normally hope for at least 5 brilliant songs (to me at least) at a Morrissey concert, and in that setlist there's 12 so I'd say it's a good one. The worse thing is that the horrible Telephone song is in there. Glad to see Our Frank still included.
our frank is still in because its alains favourite song.
my god that french crowd are hard to please,dont think M will be busting a gut to go back there in a hurry.2 new songs and more shows to follow.vivamozz.

A really predictable setlist - he can’t bring that set to Crystal Palace

I’ve been listening to the two new songs this morning, and they both sound rather good. Musically, they’re fantastic.

That venue seemed like a morgue though.

The Ezra Pound backdrop will be a red flag for any big-money investors considering signing Morrissey as he was a fascist and anti-semite. Anne Sexton was accused of sexual abuse of her daughter and others. Here's a suggestion for future tours: how about promoting decent people, or using iconic images of Morrissey himself and quoting his own words?

Applause should be earned, especially when you pay good money to see a bore fest like this. They didn't applaud because the new songs stink, pretty simple.
Have to agree with you Tom. They absolutely stink.

Benny 🇬🇧 :knife:

Re-listened again to the 2 new tracks this morning:
Love them. :thumb:

Before hearing the song, whenever I saw the title of The Night Pop Dropped, I would think of Ewan McGregor as the Iggy Pop character in Velvet Goldmine. This gif is infinitely more fascinating.
Sorry, I don't like these new songs either, but that doesn't mean the rest of you can't.

tumblr_m83oi7TZQX1qjonawo6_250.gif

Here is my yesterday's review in French with a few nice pics from Jean Do, another fan friend. A nice evening show with Morrissey in great shape and golden voice. The setlist had its moments, so had the band... but it had also a few weaknesses. The one-track encore (though IBEH is still an amazing moment) is something very frustrating. I havent made up my mind about new songs yet. I think they were very politely received. No enthusiasm at all, contrasting with older world premiere i had experimented before (i remember when he played First of The Gang, or I Like You for the 1st time 20 years ago). Anyway, a good night.

Back
Top Bottom