Panic On The Streets Of London

Bluebirds

The Sky News reporter at one point said "the scene here (at Millbank) resembles a battlezone." :lbf:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11726822

everyones going home now to get some crumpets and marmite and get into the £1 a pint night at the local Students Union

On the BBC news they showed someone with f*** emblazoned across his right cheek for about 6 seconds! Thats anarchy

Is this what they're angry about? Sounds like a very reasonable deal to me, but then in the U.S. we don't get jacksquat for education (and it shows!):

Students would not have to pay anything "up-front" and as graduates, would only have to pay back their tuition fee loans once they were earning £21,000 or more.

Is this what they're angry about? Sounds like a very reasonable deal to me, but then in the U.S. we don't get jacksquat for education (and it shows!):

Students would not have to pay anything "up-front" and as graduates, would only have to pay back their tuition fee loans once they were earning £21,000 or more.

Since I am from the slightly bit communist sweden this is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Ofcourse no one should have to pay for an education! Education benefit the whole society.

The Lib Dems promised no increase in fees in their election manifesto. Broken promises.Their popularity after joining up with the Tories has plummeted.
At the moment students only have to pay back after they earn a certain amount, but doubling or tripling the fees......

Does it hurt more if you could only look at what you can't have...or if you had it and then it was snatched away? Dunno.

Oh I think I understand now - you mean fees like interest and whatnot are trebled? That is harsh. Riot on, youth of London.

omg, my mother was watching reports of this FOX NEWS :sick: & they made it sound as if the protesters represented some kind of threat to "national security" :crazy: like they were terrorists or something :rolleyes:

Oh I think I understand now - you mean fees like interest and whatnot are trebled? That is harsh. Riot on, youth of London.

Tuition fees this year were £3,290 across the board. The government are raising that figure to a cap of £9,000 per year from 2012, if it passes. Sounds like a cause for protest from where I'm standing.

Lib Dems are lying basterds and Tories are thieving basterds...back to Labour we go!
I'm an ex-student (from today) and I think the Goverment is a sham!

omg, my mother was watching reports of this FOX NEWS :sick: & they made it sound as if the protesters represented some kind of threat to "national security" :crazy: like they were terrorists or something :rolleyes:

Yes, Police reports said a very small minority caused trouble, the greatest majority had a loud but peaceful protest. But the Sky news focussed it's images only on the trouble and reported MI5 had brought down the shutters on it's doors, as if the students could or would try to invade there!

I bet it did scare the shit out of everybody though, including the Goverment...they weren't expecting that, were they?

They were also protesting about the massive higher education budget cuts which we'll have to endure along with the higher fees. I voted for the Lib Dems exactly so that this kind of thing wouldn't happen. The Lib Dems have traditionally been very popular among students. They've just shot themselves in the foot. They won't be able to count on any student votes for a very long time.

Dammit kaz, there's always been something vaguely sinister about that guy from Thomas the Engine, but on your avatar he looks positively like a mad plutocratic dictator.

cheers

Johnny Marr supports the students.

From Twitter...

"Congratulations and well done to the students who made the protest against bent fees. Suffer to learn ? Thanks Boss."

What a bloke.

P.

I love the fact that Johnny is only following 5 twitterers and one of them is the Dalai Lama http://twitter.com/johnny_marr

In terms of the students. Good on most of them - back in the day I helped to organise demos against the freezing of grants and the increase of student loans but it's nothing compared to the current proposals - but surely we must condemn the knob head who threw a fire extinguisher off the roof of Millbank into a crowd :crazy:

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom