'Panic On The Streets' - New Book Released Today

Alma / Kewpie

Yes it is Victoria Park and yes it is in there!
A big park on the Hackney / Bethnal Green Border, a bit of a walk from B/G underground station, (though you also pass York Hall, where the 'Boxers' video was filmed on the way) the monument at the beginning of the video has come under attack from vandals and is just about standing!:(

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Is it too late I wonder to review the marketing stratagy for the book?....

"Panic On The Streets...(free days out in London and Manchester for Mozzy Mummy's!)

My kids will be entralled I'm sure....trailing around after me...Phill's new book in hand!

Attention all: I have read the book and it's superb.

I dont normally go for location type themed books, more of a factual biography man mi self.

However, this book adds a whole new dimension to Smiths/Mozzy related facts/trivia/info... It occured to me a bit of the way through as to how very much Manchester related the Smiths were and how London focussed Morrissey was in the first few years after 1987.

Enough of my typing - suffice to say, it beats the hell out of the Morrissey book by David Bret and is very interesting...

And for our foreign Mozzy mates - It's also a good way to get a tour of London and Manchester and see parts of the cities you otherwise would NEVER see in a bona fide guidebook.

So buy it and see for yourselves!

Stu

I need to get my rear in gear and order my copy - but I also think that we should arrange a day trip for a group of us (perhaps the ones who have failed to convert friends to the wonder of Moz/Smiths) to go round, sharing the joy?

Ok, I am just fishing for anyone who fancies coming round all the locations with me, taking pics and raving about how much we love it all... over 18's only as I would be intended to take in a few public houses on the trip too.

I need to get my rear in gear and order my copy - but I also think that we should arrange a day trip for a group of us (perhaps the ones who have failed to convert friends to the wonder of Moz/Smiths) to go round, sharing the joy?

Ok, I am just fishing for anyone who fancies coming round all the locations with me, taking pics and raving about how much we love it all... over 18's only as I would be intended to take in a few public houses on the trip too.

Sounds like an excellent idea, it could turn in to a regular pub crawl or summat? :)

love

Grim

Sounds like an excellent idea, it could turn in to a regular pub crawl or summat? :)

love

Grim

Oooh, I know how much walking Phill did for the book, and how many days it took, I'm not sure it will be possible in a day, unless you pick some particularly salient landmarks. I'm taking a couple of days off for the event. "When your name's with the best, will my name be on your guest list?"

Peter

Hhhhhhmmmmm
good idea....
lunch at the Rock Garden, Covent Garden
mid afternoon quick pint in The Grave Maurice, Whitechapel (and I mean a quick one:eek:)
early evening meal at Geales Restaurant, Notting Hill, where we all have a disagreement and split up:D

and lots inbetween too:)

In the Lake District, there is a pub where Wainwright, the author of all of the walks in the area, would pay for a drink for anyone completing the walks. Maybe the same arrangement can be made at The Grave Maurice for those fans completing the entire tour of London! :cool:

Jukebox Jury

Hhhhhhmmmmm
good idea....
mid afternoon quick pint in The Grave Maurice, Whitechapel (and I mean a quick one
early evening meal at Geales Restaurant, Notting Hill, where we all have a disagreement and split up:D

and lots inbetween too

In the Lake District, there is a pub where Wainwright, the author of all of the walks in the area, would pay for a drink for anyone completing the walks. Maybe the same arrangement can be made at The Grave Maurice for those fans completing the entire tour of London.

Jukebox Jury

Rome wasn't built in a day, I know that the capital of England is quite a big city, I have ventured that far in the past :)

What could happen is that a drunken route planner could be made up of a few miles for one crawl, then the following week it could be the next few miles until the last mile being the hard rock mile! :)

Then you could start off all o'er again, you could eventually make your own Morrissey landmark by grafitti-ing something along the way, or a picture storyboard of your adventures blah blah blah! Turning some building in to a southerners version of the Salford Lads Club? :eek:)

love

Grim

Hhhhhhmmmmm
good idea....

NEVER, EVER, EAT AT THE ROCK GARDEN!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Oh! I actually wanted to have my launch party here - quite apt as it was the venue for The Smiths first ever London gig.
In January they said I could have the very room The Smiths played in for free as long as £2000 was taken at the bar or I pick up the difference. No problems I thought. I call again in April and they wanted £4000 taken behind the bar! I said 'Goodnight, and thank you.....', hence the launch being at The Academy in Islington instead.

Can you give us any more info on your suggestion to avoid?

Jukebox Jury

The Rock Garden used to be a favourite heaunt of mine when i was about 16/17 - superb Indie Disco with surprise live bands... I go away to Uni and 12 years later I come back to London and it's a tourist trap of the highest proportions... All atmosphere gone and £10 cocktails...

My wife had dinner here with some of her friends before a night out and said the service and food was awful.. Apparantly they even cocked up the chips... And it was very expensive. A much better place to eat would be anywhere else.

Islington is a much better place for non-tourists to go out.

I have been to an XFM do at the Bar Academy and its a much better venue. Once you get inside. There is also a decent gig/club venue that if open on the Thursday you can access through the bar.

Islington also has some of my Favourite pubs and Restaurants in London. All along one road near enough - its about 2 miles long. If you want a couple of recommendations for the pre-match dinner for the Thursday let me know.

The Rock Garden used to be a favourite heaunt of mine when i was about 16/17 - superb Indie Disco with surprise live bands... I go away to Uni and 12 years later I come back to London and it's a tourist trap of the highest proportions... All atmosphere gone and £10 cocktails...

My wife had dinner here with some of her friends before a night out and said the service and food was awful.. Apparantly they even cocked up the chips... And it was very expensive. A much better place to eat would be anywhere else.

I have been to an XFM do at the Bar Academy and its a much better venue. Once you get inside. There is also a decent gig/club venue that if open on the Thursday you can access through the bar.

Islington also has some of my Favourite pubs and Restaurants in London. All along one road near enough - its about 2 miles long. If you want a couple of recommendations for the pre-match dinner for the Thursday let me know.

Yes please, something veggie, and good quality.

Peter

Thanks Stuheff
Yes, I have been told the Academy is indeed very good and I am looking forward to the night. For nostalgic reasons the Rock Garden would have been a brilliant place for the launch, but their 100% bar takings increase sounds like their ability to make chips. Crap!

See you in Islington (Arsenal territory?)

Jukebox Jury

That would be so great. I would like to come if I may :)

See you in Islington (Arsenal territory?)

Jukebox Jury[/QUOTE]

Yes it is Arsenal territory... However as a Spurs fan I will swallow my pride and come down for the night... seeing as if you had done the night on Tottenham territory the chances are no one would have got home alive.

In London its grim up that part of the north!

Yes please, something veggie, and good quality.

Peter

Im a Veggie and there is are a couple of superb Med/Turkish places a quite a bit further up Upper Street - about 10/15 mins walk from the Bar Academy, maybe 20 if it's a stroll.

One is called Mem and Laz, of which there are 2 round the corner from each other. One is no.170 Upper Street, the other is no. 8 Theburton street. Opposite a half decent, but bit poncy, pub (whose name I can never remember but Paul Whitehouse drinks in it).

The other is called Gallipoli - again they have 2 and they are a bit further up from Mem and Laz... Basically walk up Upper Street until you see Sainsburys... be on the opposite side and theres these 2 and a few quality Tapas places as well.

If you dont like East Med food then dont worry you wont struggle - these are just a couple of half decent places and they wont break the bank. Ive even there about 10 times and NEVER had a bad meal or service.

Stuheff

However as a Spurs fan I will swallow my pride and come down for the night...

Now you tell me.......
My 1981 Cup Final tickets are still framed on the wall.....
The mere mention of Ricky Villa sends me into fits of depression......:(

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom