Painting and Drawing

If I was going to be picky, the shadow under the nose seems too dark. Sometimes shadow colors can be made by adding a little bit of dark blue to the color you're darkening. That brown you're using is also on the lips and the hair knot, but it seems like an extra color that's not part of that painting's palette, because it doesn't show up enough to feel like part of that world.
You might want to experiment using just white, black, and primary red, yellow and blue, and mixing your colors. It's a good way to see how colors are part of a collection and feel more natural together.
You don't have to stick with any limits but it's a good exercise. Don't do it on a real painting but practice painting a still life with an apple and a banana or something like that and mix your colors.
I thought it was too dark too. I lifted it.
20201016_203111.jpg

Waiting to get up the nerve to commit to another painting. It's going to be from a photo I took today of my walking buddy. Experience is irreplaceable, with paint. I want it instantly, but instead I've got to practice. Darnit. @Mozmar The photos you posted are too out of my league, at least at this stage. Learning by painting humans, is within my range I feel, and maybe shoes.

@Untruth have any advice on how to discipline myself to get another painstaking piece started? I'm scared of hard work 😬

Neighbor has a painting
Touched by dog with bone
I asked if I could take her picture
I hear her above me
A model for a portrait
Her sounds gentler
More contemplative
Perhaps I'll get her to paint with me someday
She wants to lose weight
Painting and gorging don't mix
Wouldn't that be something

@Untruth have any advice on how to discipline myself to get another painstaking piece started? I'm scared of hard work 😬
Before you were playing with paint and having a type of creative therapy and now it's work just like you said. Learn to make it fun I guess. Keep a little sketchbook where you work out ideas. It's good that you finish all your paintings but maybe you need another way to work through ideas without any pressure about the end result.
It's all about the process anyway, not the end result, because there is always another project.
I think you're putting the pressure on because you're comparing your latest work to your early work and now you're thinking too much about improving or keeping a certain standard. Just keep working.
Also what I wrote the other day about using primaries isn't important since you've already done that and understand the idea. What you might do instead is try to make any color you use (straight from the tube) part of your palette for that painting by using it mixed with your other colors, too. This way it looks like part of that world.
Keep doing self portraits and working from photos or live models, too. It seems like you get something extra from that.

Before you were playing with paint and having a type of creative therapy and now it's work just like you said. Learn to make it fun I guess. Keep a little sketchbook where you work out ideas. It's good that you finish all your paintings but maybe you need another way to work through ideas without any pressure about the end result.
It's all about the process anyway, not the end result, because there is always another project.
I think you're putting the pressure on because you're comparing your latest work to your early work and now you're thinking too much about improving or keeping a certain standard. Just keep working.
Also what I wrote the other day about using primaries isn't important since you've already done that and understand the idea. What you might do instead is try to make any color you use (straight from the tube) part of your palette for that painting by using it mixed with your other colors, too. This way it looks like part of that world.
Keep doing self portraits and working from photos or live models, too. It seems like you get something extra from that.
Yes, "learn to make it fun". Good advice!

I wish my eyes were better. Still, I'm able to enjoy the zen of doing this. Not much progress in terms of getting a painting made, but I like it just the same.
20201018_044526.jpg

Tags
art artwork drama drawing drudgery expression fun fury painting
Back
Top Bottom