Paint a Vulgar Sandie Shaw?

duchess_of_fork

I was listening to Paint a Vulgar Picture the other day, right after reading about Sandie's career...it said something about the "revival of her career" in the 80s after being forgotten for a while... so the line "On their hands - a dead star " kind of reminded me of her. And as we all know, they had a falling out eventually, which was a big contrast to the huggin' and a kissin' photos of Morrissey and Sandie in the early stages of the Smiths careeeer.
So is there any possibility that the star in the song IS indeed Sandie Shaw? I'm well aware of the line that goes "I knew him first, and I knew him well" but sometimes lyricists and poets have a tendency of switching gender as a hidden meaning or maybe another perspective? I dunno!
Or is there another, more "official" interpretation of the song?

I think Morrissey is singing about all his idols in that song, not just one in particular. So Sandie was probably in his mind as well as all the others.

As an aside, am I the only one who hated Sandie's singing in the eighties. It's so affected. Half the time you can't hear what she's singing about.

I don't know where, but I seem to recall reading that, although the "dead star" was probably an amalgam of various people, the main inspiration was Billy Fury.

I only heard three Sandie Shaw songs in the 1980s (I don't think I have to say which songs they were). Two are rubbish but "Jeane" I liked a lot.

I bought a compilation CD of all her Sixties hits and I wasn't disappointed. Everything Morrissey said was true. I play it once a decade.

I was listening to Paint a Vulgar Picture the other day, right after reading about Sandie's career...it said something about the "revival of her career" in the 80s after being forgotten for a while... so the line "On their hands - a dead star " kind of reminded me of her. And as we all know, they had a falling out eventually, which was a big contrast to the huggin' and a kissin' photos of Morrissey and Sandie in the early stages of the Smiths careeeer.
So is there any possibility that the star in the song IS indeed Sandie Shaw? I'm well aware of the line that goes "I knew him first, and I knew him well" but sometimes lyricists and poets have a tendency of switching gender as a hidden meaning or maybe another perspective? I dunno!
Or is there another, more "official" interpretation of the song?

I never knew he and Sandie had a falling out?! What happened? Can anyone enlighten me?...
Cheers :)

I read that article and I can't find the part of it that you think would answer Imogen's question. Could you highlight it?
All I know about their falling outwas that I suppose they sort of grew sick and tired of each other and Sandie wanted this, Morrissey wanted that bla bla bla. I actually have no clue where I read about that anyhoo. But I know they no longer talk. I think it might have been in an interview where Morrissey said he no longer writes her or something.
I'm so vague. Sorry!

I read that article and I can't find the part of it that you think would answer Imogen's question. Could you highlight it?
All I know about their falling outwas that I suppose they sort of grew sick and tired of each other and Sandie wanted this, Morrissey wanted that bla bla bla. I actually have no clue where I read about that anyhoo. But I know they no longer talk. I think it might have been in an interview where Morrissey said he no longer writes her or something.
I'm so vague. Sorry!

Hmm..that linke wasn't very revealing but interesting, nonetheless. I'm curious as to what went wrong!
Thanks for your post Duchess :) I'm vague myself today. Blahh.

I think the line "On their hands a dead star" Refers more to death in a career and early success, Simon Dee as been recognised to be the subject in question

Thanks for the link, kewpie! Fascinating!
Don't know what it is, but, Sandie Shaw really irks me when reading those extracts. Does anybody else think she was in love with him or Morrissey with her?

I wonder what happened for their frienship to end?? I'm intrigued..!

I think she was jealous of his success.

I think she was jealous of his success.

maybe i should start a "Sandie Shaw hates it when her friends become successful" thread! :D

Does anybody have the lyrics to Sandie Shaw's song 'Take Him'?
Can't seem to get them online - dying to read them after taking a look at that link that Kewpie posted!

Does anybody have the lyrics to Sandie Shaw's song 'Take Him'?
Can't seem to get them online - dying to read them after taking a look at that link that Kewpie posted!

I'd love to see 'em too - they simply cannot be found on the net, and i can't find it for downloading either. Curses!

she oversings so much I can't the words out! I'll try to do it, don't expect them to be accurate!

no wait...soulseek shafted me. I think the song is 'hello angel' under the name of 'take him'

Back
Top Bottom