Pageant Of His Bleeding Heart

Re: New Morrissey Book Coming Out!

No!!!! You've met DAVID SEDARIS? Now I TRULY hate you! I LOVE HIM. "Holidays On Ice" has the brilliant story where he dresses up like one of Santa's elves and is so bored he tells people to step on "the magic step" and they will see Cher. "Me Talk Pretty One Day" is my favorite. NO ONE should read that book in a crowded place. The authorities will seriously drag your ass away for your hysterical laughter. Did James Ellroy just sign his name or did he dedicate it to you? You probably aren't going to sell these books anyway, but if you just have the author sign their name, the book is worth much more than if they signed it, "Dear K...." It KILLS me because I was working in a B. Dalton when "Hunt For Red October" came out. A first edition of that damned book is extremely rare and will earn you some serious bucks if you can find one. Very funny on Clive Barker. The authors I most want to meet are David Foster Wallace, Haruki Murakami, Cormac MacCarthy, and last but not least, Martin Amis. You haven't lived until you've read his book, "Money".

Most of my signed books are personalized. I have several signed Clive Barker books that aren't personalized but I have no intentions of selling them.

He let me sit on his lap. :D

David Sedaris was hysterical. He did a reading and a book signing. I was talking to him about something when he signed my books so I didn't even notice what he had written until I got to my car. I made "SantaLand Diaries" required reading for all new hires.

"The Drama Bug" is one of my favorites. You can find that one in Naked.

Whoa, major Ellroy fan here! In fact, he's my favourite author. About as un-Morrissey like as you can get, but there it is.

I've been waiting 7 years and counting for the third book in the trilogy ("Blood's A Rover"), which is due out this summer. If by any chance you get an advanc copy of it, let me know how it is!

Tell me about it! It's been way too long. His outlines for his books are longer than some published books. I love him. I'll see if I can get an advance of that one and if I do, I'll let you know. We'll definitely have to discuss it. What is your favorite Ellroy book?

He was incredibly nice at the book signing. I drove five hours to get to the signing and was a few minutes late. Luckily, they let me in. When the bookseller unlocked the door, I told him, "I drove five hours to get here." He walked me over to Ellroy and told him how far I had come. Ellroy said, "Bless you! Thank you!" I asked him which book he'd prefer to sign and he said that he'd sign them both. I asked if I could get a picture with him and he happily posed. The flash didn't go off for the first picture so he told the bookseller, "Let's take another one, just in case."

He is a very big man.

It's nice to meet another Ellroy fan. :D

He's one of my top five favorite authors. When I discovered him, my co-workers ended up staging an intervention. Apparently, I became darker than usual. They made me read a few light books before I could go back to mainlining the Ellroy.

That is my fave David Sedaris book too. I luv him!

I've only gone to one book signing my whole life. Michael Ondaatje signed my copy of The English Patient. My heart broke a little when I discovered that his signature was practically a straight line. :tears:

Ironically, James Ellroy's signature looks like a smiley face.

Last edited:

LOL we probably did...I luv me some David Sedaris! Have you seen him when he's come through San Diego? I'm still kicking myself that I've never gone to see him in person though he's been here a few times in the last few years.

As for that intimate bond...no, me and Michael Ondaatje didn't have that! I just like his books. :p I'm not good meeting talented people in person; I get surprisingly nervous, say "thanks so much," and then I run away in a mad panic. :o

His sister Amy is pretty funny as well, but no one can come close to Mr. Sedaris. No :( unfortunately, I haven't seen him live either, but I have some boxed CD sets and they're even funnier because he has a very high pitched voice. I hear ya on the Michael Ondaatje thing. I break out into a sweat and get the signature and run away! Some authors will stand there and talk about their books and answer questions from the audience, and some will read from their work. But every Thursday, I scan The Reader to see if anyone interesting is coming out here!

bysshe and kali--if you're both still here--since we've hijacked this thread away from the Moz book anyway...My friend's friend knows Ray Bradbury quite well and I keep telling him I want a signed copy of Fahrenheit 451 (to be honest, before he dies). Are signed books even worth anything if they aren't first editions?

bysshe and kali--if you're both still here--since we've hijacked this thread away from the Moz book anyway...My friend's friend knows Ray Bradbury quite well and I keep telling him I want a signed copy of Fahrenheit 451 (to be honest, before he dies). Are signed books even worth anything if they aren't first editions?

Obviously, a signed first edition would be the most valuable but depending on the author, a signed non-personalized book could be worth quite a bit depending on the popularity of the author or the rarity of the signature.

I would love a signed copy of Something Wicked This Way Comes. If you can talk your friend into it, let me know! I would mail a copy out to you. :D

Also, since you're on the West Coast, you should see Christopher Moore the next time he does a book tour. I'd send you books for that, too. He is hysterically funny.

I ordered this book back in December and originally received a notice that it was coming March 29th. The latest email from Amazon said it wouldn't arrive until JUNE 19th!:mad:

I ordered this book back in December and originally received a notice that it was coming March 29th. The latest email from Amazon said it wouldn't arrive until JUNE 19th!:mad:

When I e-mailed the publisher about the book in January, there had already been a delay in publishing because they hadn't received the manuscript. Sounds like the author missed the deadline. :eek:

It's a very very hard question to answer -- while perhaps not his greatest literary achievement there's something about The Big Nowhere that does it for me.

Just to keep it on topic, come to think of it Sheriff's Deputy Danny Upshaw is in some ways a very Morrissey-like character. With his conflicted sexuality and his proto-rockabilly undercover disguise.

Tell me about it! It's been way too long. His outlines for his books are longer than some published books. I love him. I'll see if I can get an advance of that one and if I do, I'll let you know. We'll definitely have to discuss it. What is your favorite Ellroy book?

He was incredibly nice at the book signing. I drove five hours to get to the signing and was a few minutes late. Luckily, they let me in. When the bookseller unlocked the door, I told him, "I drove five hours to get here." He walked me over to Ellroy and told him how far I had come. Ellroy said, "Bless you! Thank you!" I asked him which book he'd prefer to sign and he said that he'd sign them both. I asked if I could get a picture with him and he happily posed. The flash didn't go off for the first picture so he told the bookseller, "Let's take another one, just in case."

He is a very big man.

It's nice to meet another Ellroy fan. :D

He's one of my top five favorite authors. When I discovered him, my co-workers ended up staging an intervention. Apparently, I became darker than usual. They made me read a few light books before I could go back to mainlining the Ellroy.

Ironically, James Ellroy's signature looks like a smiley face.

Obviously, a signed first edition would be the most valuable but depending on the author, a signed non-personalized book could be worth quite a bit depending on the popularity of the author or the rarity of the signature.

I would love a signed copy of Something Wicked This Way Comes. If you can talk your friend into it, let me know! I would mail a copy out to you. :D

Also, since you're on the West Coast, you should see Christopher Moore the next time he does a book tour. I'd send you books for that, too. He is hysterically funny.

Ooh thanks for the info. Damn, I gotta try to hook this Bradbury thing up before he...uhh, gets too old to sign his name. I'll totally hook you up if I can make it happen! :D

Christopher Moore? Thanks, I'll check him out if I ever hear him coming through these parts.

It's a very very hard question to answer -- while perhaps not his greatest literary achievement there's something about The Big Nowhere that does it for me.

Just to keep it on topic, come to think of it Sheriff's Deputy Danny Upshaw is in some ways a very Morrissey-like character. With his conflicted sexuality and his proto-rockabilly undercover disguise.

You know, you have a point there. I need to start re-reading his books. Maybe I can get away with it without being cut off again. Maybe if I read P.G. Wodehouse and the McNally series by Lawrence Sanders in between Ellroy books they'll leave me alone. :rolleyes:

I'm reading The Resurrectionist, by Jack O'Connell now because of this blurb on the cover:

The Resurrectionist - a brilliantly tuned, mesmerizing labyrinth of a quasi-real world as only a master artist could draw it - will jazz you, floor you, grab you, shake you, and leave you hung out to dry. A brilliant breakthrough novel." - James Ellroy

If it's good enough for the Demon Dog, it's good enough for me. :)

I'm going to be cliché and say L.A. Confidential. I really enjoyed White Jazz, Brown's Requiem and My Dark Places, too.

I just e-mailed the publisher about getting an advance copy of the book. I'll let you know what happens.

And here's something to keep you busy for a bit:

http://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/authors/ellroy/desktopnew.html

Ooh thanks for the info. Damn, I gotta try to hook this Bradbury thing up before he...uhh, gets too old to sign his name. I'll totally hook you up if I can make it happen! :D

Christopher Moore? Thanks, I'll check him out if I ever hear him coming through these parts.

Here's a link for you to give you an idea of the going price for what you're looking for.

http://www.oncereadbooks.com/si/BOOKS019234I.html

If you like David Sedaris, I think you'd like Christopher Moore. He's funny and quirky. I would recommend Lamb as a first read. It's the story of Christ's missing childhood years as told by his best friend Biff. It's fantastic. I bought the signed gift edition that looks like a Bible. A Dirty Job was good, too. He's from San Francisco so you'll have a better chance of seeing him than I will.

http://www.chrismoore.com/

I've been waiting 7 years and counting for the third book in the trilogy ("Blood's A Rover"), which is due out this summer. If by any chance you get an advanc copy of it, let me know how it is!

Bad news, Leer.

After requesting an advance copy of Blood's a Rover from Knopf, I got a reply stating that Knopf was not James Ellroy's publisher.

:eek:

I know better and sent another e-mail stating that according to his literary agent's website, Knopf is his publisher. I got this response:

I apologize, you’re correct. We just don’t have a publication date for this book yet; but it will be published by Knopf. It could be 2009; more likely 2010. No content available yet; please check back in with us in a year.

Looks like we'll be waiting a little while longer. :(

And why do I feel like I'm in a Monty Python sketch?

"Now go away or I will taunt you a second time!"

I got "Morrissey in Conversation" for my birthday (last month) and it is, indeed, very good. I like to have a book that has several good Morrissey interviews in one place.

That is a great book! I wasn't sadly surprised when it came in the mail. VERY good.:)

That is a great book! I wasn't sadly surprised when it came in the mail. VERY good.:)

What does that mean? "I wasn't sadly surprised..."

bysshe is correct. I have a 25th anniversary edition of "Fahrenheit" but I would think a first of that would be VERY expensive! Especially a signed copy! The last book store I co owned was an antiquarian and your basic used bookstore. This is all I know. Signed books are worth MUCH more if the author has just signed his name. If he signs it, "To Mell, with love" it's worth a bit less. This bookstore I co owned (it is no more so I sell books online at ABE but it's slowed down.) This was the first opportunity I had to learn how to really become an appraiser. People would come in with huge boxes of books, and at first I made some atrocious choices on which books to buy, and what to pay the person. But soon I became adept at separating the crap books ( A Bridge In Madison County ) from the good ones. We sold LOTS of martial arts books, and we had a HUGE new age section. I had to really wrangle with my conscious once because this trashy looking woman came in with a huge dolly, with shrinkwrapped, obviously NEW books. She had a great selection of New Age stuff, and I figured the books were stolen ( I have no idea how she did it- maybe it was an inside job. But I KNEW they HAD to be stolen. Books in shrinkwrap is kind of obvious.) The first time, I said, "I'm sorry but we're not buying anything right now." Then she came in a month later when sales were lagging, and I thought, to hell with it, and I bought all of her New Age books and a PDR (HOW did she get that monster out?) (PDR was for me. Usually they're about $60 or more but she sold it to me for $25! Anyway, I know it was a bad thing to do but geez I wanted our sales to rise. Please don't think badly of me :(

What does that mean? "I wasn't sadly surprised..."
I'm still sleepy, sorry. I meant that I've ordered books from Amazon before and when the book comes, and it's not what I thought it would be, I feel bad about it. But my comment doesn't really make sense.

Bad news. I e-mailed the publisher and got the following response:

There seems to be some doubt about our publishing this book because we have still not received the manuscript from the author. The new publication date is December 2008.

Bad news. I e-mailed the publisher and got the following response:

There seems to be some doubt about our publishing this book because we have still not received the manuscript from the author. The new publication date is December 2008.

Are you referring Gavin Hopps' book, not James Ellroy's? :confused:

Just as an update to this thread, i saw this whilst looking at the asda website....
Morrissey
Gavin Hopps
Book £9.93
Pre-Order Now
Release Date: 01 February 2009
Just thought someone might want to know.

Gavin Hopps book"Pageant of his bleeding heart"

any news about the release date ? didnt found any info on the release date on amazon

Back
Top Bottom